New Runner - Help?

Options
I've been running off and on for years, but never more than 1 mile. I've been serious for about a month now, and I really want to work on my stamina, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Are there any websites, similar to MFP, that would help me track my running and show me my next step? I have friend with running apps, but my phone isn't so smart.

I love to run, but I can't seem to take it to the next level...

Replies

• SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I use the Couch 2 5K app (android) to help me run better. So far, I can run for a half an hour.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I also use the couch to 5k program. When I started, I had no app so it is possible to do it without one, but I downloaded one on my iPod so I could focus more on running and less on the time. I would not be running at all without this program. :)
  • skschuler
    skschuler Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Run Keeper, Nikeplus, or mapmyrun are all good. Mapmyrun allows you to measure your distances and shows you the routes other people are running in your area.

If you're trying to build stamina you might try a C25K program or the Jeff Galloway program. Jeff Galloway is really good especially if you plan on going farther distances in the future - he teaches you how to run injury free.
  • wood2415
    wood2415 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This website has a load of good advise.

http://running.about.com/od/howtorun/tp/runfarther.htm
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    dailymile.com is also another site to help log and map your runs. Active.com gives you tips too.
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    if you don't want just websites you can also check out books at the library or invest in a few. The books will give you in depth on how to build endurance, training for 5k, half marathon,, and marathon depending on which book you purchase.
    DISTANCE RUNNING - Pick the Perfect Running Program or Run for Your Life - A JOGGER'S HANDBOOK - Walking, Jogging, and Running Exercise Guide are just two that I have read over & over

hope this helps
  • SerenityPrayer
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will check out all your tips, and see what works for me. :)
  • Sherrielsb
    Sherrielsb Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You may also want to check out a recent issue of either Runner's World or Running times. Both of these magazines are full of good information I am currently using the Jeff Galloway program to train for a better time for a half marathon. SO far I quite like it. Never tried the C25K but many friends have and have loved it!