Fluctuations during the day.

Options
I was wondering what "normal" daily fluctuations are. I have noticed a difference of up to 10 lbs depending on what time during the day I weigh myself. Today, I weighed myself at 8:30pm and was 187.5. I took a nap before work and weighed in again after my nap (I compulsively weigh myself...) and I was 194.5. That's 7 pounds I "gained" in an hour and a half while sleeping. Not sure if it's my scale, or if such drastic fluctuations are normal and that's why we aren't supposed to weigh ourselves 20 times a day.

Replies

• spragukr
    spragukr Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    They are 100% normal, which is why you should always weigh yourself at the same time of day (the morning is best). The reason the morning is the best time is because everything you put into your body, anything you eat or drink, is going to add weight on the scale. Fluctuations throughout the day are nothing to worry about! I only go by what the scale says in the morning now that I know this.
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal, and that's why I only let myself get on the scale every 2 weeks. I make sure to do it first thing in the morning before I have anything to eat or drink.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    Only weigh urself first thing in the morning, right after u use the washroom (:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    A surgeon I worked for said that fluctuations of up to 5 pounds from day to day are normal.

If you must weigh yourself every day, only do it once. Doing it more often can make you crazy.
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    I unfortunately do weigh myself compulsively (I replaced going to the fridge out of habit/boredom to going to the scale. I don't record or track the weight officially.), but I consider my first weigh in after sleeping for an extended time my weight. I don't get worked up over the fluctuations; I knew some were normal. I just didn't know how much was normal/expected and how much was due to scale error.
  • Weatherford102
    Options
    Weight does fluctuate throughout the day, but that is due to eating/drinking weight in and sweating/potty breaks out. If I am reading your issue correctly, you are saying that your weight went up 7 lbs in 90 minutes of napping. That is not normal and most likely impossible, especially if you weren't eating or drinking during that time. A couple things to remember.
    Limit yourself to one weigh in per day at most and stick to it religiously or you will drive yourself nuts. If you aren't a control nut, once every week is probably the best. Most people weigh in the morning, because it is when they are at their lightest. You don't eat overnight and you lose some water weight in sweat and the morning potty break.
    Pick what you wear to weigh in and stick with it, whether it is nude, underwear, or lightly clothed, because you could easily have on 5-10 lbs of clothes. This also saves your sanity in that weight differences due to clothing don't psyche you out.
    Lastly scales have a plus/minus range of error of about 2-3 lbs on either side, so weigh yourself 3 to 5 times at whatever time of day you choose and use the average. It helps to erase any scale error. I am so used to my scale, that I know how to stand on it. If I lean a certain direction, I can lower my weight reading by 1.5 lbs, so I am careful to stand straight up.
    If you know that you are OCD about this process, channel that into exercise rather than tracking weight/measurements. You will still be able to scratch the ocd itch and actually put it to good use.
  • Weatherford102
    Options
    Don't get too down about things you don't control...weight, and focus on what you do control...what you eat and daily exercise. Let the weight loss just happen. That's why some people are more successful with one weigh in per week or month.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, only weigh in once a day at most and at the same time of day. Also don't be surprised if you see up to 1-2 lb weight fluctuations from day to day, both up and down. How much water your body is retaining, how much fiber bulk is "processing" through your bowels is going to change daily with your diet from the previous 24-36 hours. As long as the trend over a longer period of time is for weight loss, things are working. You can drive yourself nuts trying to control and nit pick this process to much!

And yes, I do weigh myself daily.