How can friends an family track you on your run?

Options
Hi there
I was wondering if there were any phone apps that can be used so that friends and family can track your progress on race days?
I know some races organise this themselves but the half marathon I am doing isn't, and I would really like my friends and family to know when to get ready to shout encourgement!
At the moment I am using an app that was designed to show you where sex offenders live, because it also has a family tracker (life 360 if you are interested in either uses!) but it is not always that reliable.
Thanks!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Good question! I know Runkeeper has an Elite service that costs money (basic use is free), and it has an option to show your run route as it happens.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have Sprint, and they have a locator built in that you can use online.

MyFamily Locator.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can try Glympse. This allows you to send a web link to anyone you want for a specific duration of time. When they click on the link, it shows your location in real time based on the GPS in your phone.

My stepson sends us a Glympse when he is driving home from college. It shows the arrow moving and the speed they are going. So if he is with someone we know, we sometimes send a text to tell him to tell my stepson to slow down if we see him speeding.

More ways for parents to harass their children!!

But, back to topic, I have found Glympse to be easy to use, and free.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Mapmyrun has a live tracker on it. They have to have the app as well and they have to be your friend on the app. Then as long as you turn live tracking on before your run they will be able to see where you are at. That doesn't really help them get to a spot before you get there though unless it is along a road way and they can predict which road you will be on next.
  • SaundraU
    SaundraU Posts: 77
    Options
    Endomondo - which also links to your facebook.
  • deesaf
    deesaf Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I might experiment with these and see which one works best in my area etc.
  • grmacgirl
    grmacgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The Walkemeter apps (Walkemeter, Runmeter, and Cyclemeter) can all auto-post to your FB, Daily Mile, or Twitter and if someone replies to these posts the apps will speak the replies to you through the speaker or headphones. It's a great motivator, especially when you're on a long walk/run/ride!

I know they are available on iOS, not sure about Android.
  • bettykitterton
    Options
    I've tried MapMyRun, Nike and Runkeeper. Runkeeper is my favorite. Have stuck with it for a couple years and just upgraded to Elite, which I recommend. Here's a good review of Elite:

http://blog.outrunyou.com/2012/10/04/runkeeper-elite-review/