Is Cardio Necessary? Weights only?

Options
I have been doing Walk At Home for 6 months. Thats 5-10 miles a day at a 5 mph pace. It says I burn 657 calories per 5 miles. I keep my calories between 1200-1300 and I eat my workout calories back. I have not lost a single pound or inch. I also hate cardio because I have ankle and feet problems.

My question is...Can I get away with only doing weight lifting? I have 2 and 5 lb weights as well as 10 and 15 lb kettlebells.

I am built like a tank and always seem to build muscle quickly. Can I gain muscle and burn fat at the same time?

If I have to do cardio whats the minimum amount I can do and get results? I am sick of walking hours on end and not seeing results. I have also done the original tae bo with no weight loss either. I even danced hours a day with no weight lost either. I am just getting fed up with my zero results.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Replies

• jdaniels52509
    Options
    Cardio is pretty important because it helps you burn fat. You need to find something that works for you. I love kickboxing which is actually really easy on my ankles because I also have ankle problems. If you have netflix or a cable provider that gives you free on demand you can sometimes find workouts on them. I use my on demand because it gives me something new to do every day.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Noo, you should definitely do cardio! If not for the fat loss benefits, but for your heart and lung health :)

Maybe you should try upping the intensity of your cardio workouts?

I personally do a combination of cardio, weights and endurance training, and am currently in the best shape of my life. I do 3 weight sessions, 2 endurance and 2-3 cardio sessions a week. More specifically I do 2 cycle classes (I am prone to shin and knee injuries, so I know how it is to have to watch out for leg problems), either 2 pump or 1 individual weight training sessions or vice versa, running on the treadmill once a week, and 2 pole dancing classes.

Also, maybe you should try eating only half of your exercise cals back, and see if that makes a diff

Good luck!!
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    What do you eat everyday? Carbs, protein or fat and how regularly do you eat them through out your day?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It's not usually mandatory. Create the deficit through your diet, and you'll still burn fat. Lift weights to preserve muscle mass in a deficit.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I was a gluten fee vegan as of 2 weeks ago. I am slowly transitioning to Paleo but allowing myself my normal protein shake in the morning that includes gluten free oats.

I have tried ALL Jillian Michaels DVD's and P90 with absolutely no freaking weight loss.

I have been eating
    Breakfast-Protein shake
    Lunch- Kale Salad
    Dinner-A lean protein with salad. (usually leftover kale salad and spinach salad)
    Snacks- Fruit or raw veggies
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bikram yoga is good cardio and spinning is easy on the ankles /knees
  • Ventnorman
    Ventnorman Posts: 45
    Options
    Are you sure your walking at 5 mph ? It seems very fast !
  • LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    First, I would say that you should try eating only half or less of your workout calories back, since what your'e doing now is not working for you. Second, it's WAY past time to switch up your workout. Your body is very, very good at "adjusting" to a specific workout. That's why experts suggest switching your workout every 3-4 weeks, in order to "confuse" your body and keep you losing.

I would not suggest doing isolation strength exercises only. If you want to build muscle and burn fat at the same time, try a circuit routine with compound exercises, both bodyweight and more. Write down the exercises you plan to do, with how many sets/reps of each, and have little to no rest between moves so you can keep your heart rate up. Compound exercises are those that work more than one muscle at a time, like pushups, dumbbell lunges, dead lifts and weighted squats. The best thing about designing your own circuit routines is that it is easy to "switch them up" as above. Increase the reps or sets of a certain move, replace moves, go for longer or shorter from week to week, etc.

However, if it is "doing the minimum amount to get results" that your'e after, you better be prepared for a huge increase in intensity of the workout. Try HIIT--High Intensity Interval Training--aka Sprint Interval Training, or SIT. You can use it in any form of cardio, but the basic principle is that you interchange short bursts (think 20 seconds to 1 minute) of extremely intense effort with longer bouts (think 1-3 minutes) of a much more moderate pace. A 15-20 minute HIIT routine can replace a 40-60 minute routine of low to moderate intensity. Remmeber, however, that your body adjusts. If you use the *exact* same HIIT routine a month from now it won't be as hard for your body and you won't see the same results. On a treadmill, for instance, you may have to increase incline or speed during high intensity bursts over time so that you are at the same level of difficulty on them that you were at a lower incline or lower speed in the very beginning. Doing HIIT myself and not a very good runner, I had to change my high intensity bursts from 7 to 8 mph, or to 5-6 mph at a 6% incline.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    Ventnorman, Yes I keep a 12 minute mile pace which makes it 5mph. :) I sweat my butt off and I can't carry a conversation because of being winded.

I thought all the Jillian Michael DVD's were considered HIIT? I guess I am wrong then.

Sorry but Yoga is not for me. But thanks for the advice.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I was a gluten fee vegan as of 2 weeks ago. I am slowly transitioning to Paleo but allowing myself my normal protein shake in the morning that includes gluten free oats.

I have tried ALL Jillian Michaels DVD's and P90 with absolutely no freaking weight loss.

I have been eating
    Breakfast-Protein shake
    Lunch- Kale Salad
    Dinner-A lean protein with salad. (usually leftover kale salad and spinach salad)
    Snacks- Fruit or raw veggies

Yeah, saying that it will be hard to obtain adequate protein as a gluten-free vegan is an understatement. And I wouldn't consider p90/Jillian as lifting weights. And having a couple small dumbbells lying around isn't a great solution either. Is it possible for you to join a gym?
    First, I would say that you should try eating only half or less of your workout calories back, since what your'e doing now is not working for you. Second, it's WAY past time to switch up your workout. Your body is very, very good at "adjusting" to a specific workout. That's why experts suggest switching your workout every 3-4 weeks, in order to "confuse" your body and keep you losing.
    Your body is not confused. No legitimate "expert" would suggest this. Continually switching exercises is the exact opposite sort of adaptation you want.
    I would not suggest doing isolation strength exercises only. If you want to build muscle and burn fat at the same time, try a circuit routine with compound exercises, both bodyweight and more. Write down the exercises you plan to do, with how many sets/reps of each, and have little to no rest between moves so you can keep your heart rate up. Compound exercises are those that work more than one muscle at a time, like pushups, dumbbell lunges, dead lifts and weighted squats. The best thing about designing your own circuit routines is that it is easy to "switch them up" as above. Increase the reps or sets of a certain move, replace moves, go for longer or shorter from week to week, etc.
    I agree with the recommendation of compound exercises. Everything else is mostly wrong and likely detrimental advice. Solely doing a circuit routine will not be ideal for your goals, and resting little or none at all between sets to keep your heart rate up is foolish. If the goal is to keep your heart rate up, you may as well just do cardio.
  • AmandaDutra
    Options
    Are you sure your walking at 5 mph ? It seems very fast !

This. That's a 12min mile.. Im not saying it cant be done but if you really are its impressive. Maybe you need to try sprints instead? Also, consider getting a HRM if you dont already have one.. maybe youre never getting it up high enough to burn fat? Otherwise if none of that stuff is working I have to imagine you have very little body fat % and are in really good shape. I would add in eating crap would not help but I allow myself a sweet pretty much every day and I am losing 1lb per week, but just because it works for me doesnt mean it works for everyone.
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I second the "are you sure you're walking at 5mph?" question... that's a super fast walking pace, I have to jog on the treadmill to keep up with it. Also, what are you using to calculate your calories burned? A HRM? I ask because 657 calories is a lot burnt in an hour of walking... when I put it in for myself on MFP, it gives me 492. In the forums, I have read multiple times stories of people who started using a HRM and realised MFP overestimates calories burned by a lot. I personally could never put myself through hourly walks a day just to eat all the cals back.. I see it as undoing my work and would rather just eat 1200 and not exercise, if I had to choose.

So yes, I think maybe invest in a HRM or start eating back only half your exercise cals and definitely switch up your routine!
  • ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your weight, cardio will help you live longer. It trains your heart to pump more efficiently with lower oxygen demand, reducing your risk of dying from a heart attack (one of the most common causes of death in developed countries). I'm a family doctor and I recommend cardio to all of my patients, whether they need to lose weight or not. Even if you're not seeing weight loss as a result of your walking, it's still a good idea to keep doing it.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    Amanda, Yes I do a 12 minute mile. I can walk fast but when it comes to running with my bum ankle i simply cannot. So sprinting and running are out.

I don't have the money for a gym. I workout religiously at home. When I did have a gym membership I never went. I am a loner when it comes to working out.

I have celiacs and hormonal imbalances which may be keeping the pounds on. But I fighting it tooth and nail. LOL
  • allentackett
    Options
    Stick with it!!

I am a triathlete and ultra runner. Nutrition probably matters more than exercise so focus there first.

Cardio is key, but you might want to increase the intensity. Slow walking just doesn't kickstart your metabolism like a few intense sessions. And if you hate it, don't do it!! If you normally walk at a 12-14 minute mile pace, start slow and try to walk/job at a 10 minute pace for 2 minutes, then ease back into your normal routine for 5 minutes, then go for the quicker pace again for 2 minutes and so on. If you're not getting the results you want, you need to mix it up. I've found that nothing melts the lbs like long bike rides.

Keep with the weights too. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you'll burn.

Also, your calories look really low. Sometimes, if you starve yourself, your body will store excess fat. Sometimes, you can actually lose more weight by eating a little more. Eat small meals, 4-5 times a day. I've also found that I lose weight more quickly if I stick with a high carb (low glycemic index) vegetarian diet for 4-5 days a week.

Of course, there are too many factors for generic advice so you should probably see a nutritionist. Good luck and don't give up. Your body is the only thing you can't replace in this world.
  • skinnnyfat123
    Options
    I don't want to get into an agument on here but weights will burn more fat than cardio. You need to have a balance like all things, I would suggest 1 hour a day fast walking, 3 days a week weights gradually going up to 5 when your body is used to it and try to do at least 1 sesion a week where you get properly out of breath and get your heart rate up.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    the only thing necessary for weight loss is a calorie deficit

get it through calorie restriction......or create it with exercise.....or both

personally I do zero cardio......and its worked for me, with my goals
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your weight, cardio will help you live longer. It trains your heart to pump more efficiently with lower oxygen demand, reducing your risk of dying from a heart attack (one of the most common causes of death in developed countries). I'm a family doctor and I recommend cardio to all of my patients, whether they need to lose weight or not. Even if you're not seeing weight loss as a result of your walking, it's still a good idea to keep doing it.

I'm so glad you said that!

When I started heavy lifting, plenty of people advised me to stop cardio. For me this isn't just about appearance or weight loss - surely we need to be thinking of our general health and fitness too? I do lifting and cardio, and feel good on it.

Edited to add: Let's not forget though that lifting is good for health too - helps to prevent osteoporosis, for a start.
  • whitm2103
    whitm2103 Posts: 41
    Options
    I do only cardio, and have lost 17 pounds since march. I burn about 1000 calories every time i go to the gym and i got at least 5 times a week
  • varulv
    varulv Posts: 21
    Options
    simply put in the long run weight training will burn more calories but unless your trying to get buff which i doubt it would be okay to do both.