Spinning...The BEST fat burner in the world

Options
I just got out of spinning class, if you dont know what it is, give it a google:)

Anyways..I asked the instructor how many calories you burn in a 45 min workout..you can burn anywhere from 800-1000 calories! After the class it feels like more cause your drench in sweat LOL the only thing I dont like about the spinning is my *kitten* hurts sooo bad UGH! Anyone else out there into spinning?

Replies

• kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    I love spinning, I have a HRM and usually burn around 700 calories in an hour. It took about 3 classes for my butt to get used to the seat and it doesn't hurt anymore!
    Kim
  • Arleah
    Arleah Posts: 15
    Options
    I bought a padded gel seat cover that I bring with me to class...this makes a huge difference, you feel way better the following day!!
  • LINZLUV
    Options
    I loooove spinning too, afterwards you feel like you can accomplish anything. I also had a huge problem with it hurting my butt, and I bought a seat cover too. If you get the clip in shoes your workout is alot easier and better. You don't slip around and you can push that much harder.
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i love spinning, i do it once/week, i like to keep things mixed up, different classes throughout the week. i was so bad when i first started but after 3-4 classes i was addicted. it is a great workout.
  • annalouisa08
    Options
    I love it! I went from 223 down to 202!! When I first started it hurt my butt for the first week. After that week it doesnt hurt any more. My goal now is to loose 77 more lbs. I do spinning with a combination of Zumba strength and Toning dance. When I was loosing the weight I was becoming a little flabby so I had to add in some Strength training. I love it and would recommend it to anyone. Its very addicting.
  • tech_sarah
    Options
    I've never tried Spinning, but I've always wanted to. I ride the stationary bike, go for like 35 mile rides in summer... I guess I just need to get in there and do it. I guess I just worry what I'll look like if I can't keep up with the others in the class, etc. I hate to fail, quit, or not be able to physically do anything.
    Has anyone ever worn the biking shorts into Spinning class?
  • wilder72
    Options
    Spinning is one of my absolute FAVORITE cardio exercises!! I think I burned at least 800 calories this morning and I love the music.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I always watch the spinning class while I am on the elliptical. I want to try the class out, but I am so scared that I won't be able to keep up, and I will have to leave the class early. I keep telling myself that one day I will try it.:happy:
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i wouldnt be worried to try, they have a knob on the bike that you turn to increase the resistance which makes it harder. on my first few attempts i kept the resistance very light, just to be able to ease into things. if you keep the resistnace light, you can pedal all day. go for it and try it, its fun. i would go a little early and ask for some help to set the bike up, right height, seat position, etc, so you are comfortable. many gyms you have to call ahead and put your name on a list so find out before you decide you want to try it, good luck.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt be worried to try, they have a knob on the bike that you turn to increase the resistance which makes it harder. on my first few attempts i kept the resistance very light, just to be able to ease into things. if you keep the resistnace light, you can pedal all day. go for it and try it, its fun. i would go a little early and ask for some help to set the bike up, right height, seat position, etc, so you are comfortable. many gyms you have to call ahead and put your name on a list so find out before you decide you want to try it, good luck.

That's the secret. Good advice.

Anyone who wants to try should not be intimidated at all. Just be conservative and do your own workout and no one will notice.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

That's the secret. Good advice.

Anyone who wants to try should not be intimidated at all. Just be conservative and do your own workout and no one will notice.

Definitely...go at your own pace! I like spin class a lot, after an hour of sweating I feel like I could kick down a brick wall! :laugh:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Spinning is an awesome workout. I've been taking classes for years, and just recently started teaching it. I teach 3 classes a week and have seen HUGE changes in my body since I've been doing it.. it does amazing things for the legs!!! :love: :drinker:
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I concur with the others. I take spinning classes 3 times a week. It's a great workout. The amount I sweat depends on the instructor.

For the newbies, give it a try. Everyone is new in the beginning. You can let the instructor know your new and they will help you set up the bike and give you some tips.

I do see a difference in my quad muscles.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I just have to add this, because I read it every time spinning is mentioned.

Whether or not you perspire a lot during a workout provides little or no evidence that it was a quality workout or it is a quality exercise.

The reason that people notice that they perspire more in a spin class is because you are usually in a small room with bunch of other exercising people and there is no convection because no one is moving.

This is not to say anything against spinning as a workout--if you like to do it, it's as good as anything else in that workout group--but whatever "quality" it may have has nothing to do with how much one perspires during a workout.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the motivation and tips. I think I will try it!:happy:
  • Texangrrl
    Options
    im glad i read this thread, when i joined my gym recently, i was showed the spin room and was super stoked to try it. then i came around the time the class started, i was just gonna ease myself into the exercise thing not do the class just yet, i walked past all these people in line to get a number for the class, and one lady said, uhhh you cant cut us the line starts back there, really rude. i was just going to the desk to scan my keychain card to get in the gym! since then ive been intimidated by joining the class, maybe i will give it a try soon.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I think I might try it they have class that is on fridays at 9:30 that would be awesome to try it. when I go in monday i will see about signing up.