Periods Have Stopped

graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Which is very unusual for me. They have not stopped in over ten years and back then it was because I dropped below 119 Ibs. I am not below 119 Ibs, in fact I am heavier than I was a few months ago at 126/127, but my last period was 4 days late, and this one doesn't appear to have come at all. It was due over a week ago. I cannot be pregnant as I don't engage in intercourse. My skin has also become pretty spotty and greasy and I am feeling tired a lot, so I don't know if this is diet/exercise related or something else ? I guess I will have to go see the doctor, but I find it very irritating that they choose to stop when I have been this weight before a few years ago with no issues.

Replies

• fernamber
    fernamber Posts: 16
    I had this problem, I've always had them irregular but I haven't had one in 2012 yet. She said I should wait until 9/10 months maybe even a year to go back and get checked again. I asked if it was related to weight loss and she said no because I was losing it healthily :D xx
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,310 Member
    You're 5'11" and 126 lbs. That's a BMI of 17.6. 18.5 is considered underweight.

You're messing with your hormones. Eat, woman.

Yes, see a doctor.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    ^^^ Yes.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    I checked out your profile and see that you are recovering from ED. I applaud you for taking the right steps to get healthy!

I'm not a doctor, by any means, but perhaps your body is suffering from some long term damage due to your past ED. I'd check with your doctor, because there could be any variety of things going on with you due to the past abuse your body has taken. Good luck!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I'm 5'10". When I weighed 128 my BALLET TEACHERS told me I was too skinny and my periods were very irregular.

The goal is to be healthy and look good. If your skin is bad and your periods have stopped, you aren't. See a doctor. Rethink your priorities.
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    I did not have a period for almost 2 years while recovering from an eating disorder. These things can definitely be closely related. It takes a lot of regular exercise, the right amount of calories and HEALTHY calories to get things back on track. Just my experience.
  • graelwyn
    The worst of my eating disorder was a long, long time ago when I was 18. I am now 37 and occasional bulimic tendencies is my main issue, as opposed to anorexia. Also, I am not 5'11, I am just under 5'10. I was 5'11 when I was 18, I shrunk, so my BMI is not actually that low. I am eating over 2000 calories a day, so hardly starving myself, lol. And I do not consider myself to be over-exercising. I do about 60 minutes of cardio a day, sometimes more if I am cycling to a specific place. But I guess I shall have to see my doctor as this is the first time I have stopped my periods since 1998.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    I'm having the exact same problem - I haven't had a period since March and I'm not sure what's up with that. I don't have (nor have I ever had) an ED and I don't exercise excessively either (I currently work out everyday, but for 30 minutes/day). I also currently have a BMI of 25, so I'm definitely not underweight. I have lost almost 70lbs since last summer.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    I can understand wanting to be that weight. I am 5'10 and currently 136. When I was in the Navy I was 125 and i loved the way I looked at that weight, but everyone called me skeletor. I had NO muscle mass, like you, and looked frail. i may be heavier now, but I am healthier. I was bulimic and anorexic in the Navy....I still occasionally struggle with bulimia when I go out to eat, but I will myself not to do it. When I got out of the USN I got up to 145 and was mad...and now I am getting back on track, but not without doing it right this time.
  • graelwyn
    I can understand wanting to be that weight. I am 5'10 and currently 136. When I was in the Navy I was 125 and i loved the way I looked at that weight, but everyone called me skeletor. I had NO muscle mass, like you, and looked frail. i may be heavier now, but I am healthier. I was bulimic and anorexic in the Navy....I still occasionally struggle with bulimia when I go out to eat, but I will myself not to do it. When I got out of the USN I got up to 145 and was mad...and now I am getting back on track, but not without doing it right this time.

Are you aiming to get back to 125 or just settling on 130? I have been at this weight or a bit lower for about 7 months now, and my periods were fine, regular as clockwork until last month. I have not changed anything, in fact, I may even be doing less exercise than I was as I used to cycle everyday and don't anymore. I might check my diary and see if any of my food choices have changed drastically, but I am eating a lot of healthy stuff outside of the weekly or bi monthly binges on crap.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member

Are you aiming to get back to 125 or just settling on 130? I have been at this weight or a bit lower for about 7 months now, and my periods were fine, regular as clockwork until last month. I have not changed anything, in fact, I may even be doing less exercise than I was as I used to cycle everyday and don't anymore. I might check my diary and see if any of my food choices have changed drastically, but I am eating a lot of healthy stuff outside of the weekly or bi monthly binges on crap.

I think I will settle into 130. But I have packed on quite a bit of muscle, and I have to imagine that without it I am sure I would be around 132 now. So I dont know, im just going with how I look in the end.
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    I'm having the exact same problem - I haven't had a period since March and I'm not sure what's up with that. I don't have (nor have I ever had) an ED and I don't exercise excessively either (I currently work out everyday, but for 30 minutes/day). I also currently have a BMI of 25, so I'm definitely not underweight. I have lost almost 70lbs since last summer.

I'm in a similar boat.
    I haven't had a regular period in a few months as well. In March it was 2 weeks late.. in June I just didn't have one.. and we'll see about this month in a week or so.
    It's weird though.. because the week before I normally get my period I'm still having my usual PMS stuff going on.. face breaks out more.. hunger levels change, etc. No bleeding though. :/
    I had been eating at 1200 cal a day for like 2 months.. but now am netting 1450-1500 a day and work out 5x a week for 30 minutes.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    You should go see a doctor. Sometimes women skip periods but if it doesn't happen often it's not a big deal.

This could also be due to a medical issue. For example, thyroid problem, fertility, or diet (from anorexia).

A lot of the symptoms you are describing sound like thyroid problems but you would have to do some blood tests to confirm. Do you also have muscle weakness (unusual tiredness)? Shaky sweaty hands? Trouble sleeping? Anxiousness? Are you able to eat a lot and don't seem to be able to put on weight?
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Mine were messed up when I was only eating 1200 cals per day. My doctor told me it was because I was starving my body and I didn't have enough nutrients to support having a period. (She also mentioned that I wasn't eating the right foods.)

Since I upped my calories and substituted the junk food for healthier foods, my period has come back.

Look through your journal, are you eating the right foods?

But definitely see your doctor.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    The worst of my eating disorder was a long, long time ago when I was 18. I am now 37 and occasional bulimic tendencies is my main issue, as opposed to anorexia. Also, I am not 5'11, I am just under 5'10. I was 5'11 when I was 18, I shrunk, so my BMI is not actually that low. I am eating over 2000 calories a day, so hardly starving myself, lol. And I do not consider myself to be over-exercising. I do about 60 minutes of cardio a day, sometimes more if I am cycling to a specific place. But I guess I shall have to see my doctor as this is the first time I have stopped my periods since 1998.

5'9" and 125 puts your BMI at 18.6, which is on the very bottom of the "healthy" range of the BMI scale. Additionally, by the looks of your diary, you may or may not be counting the cycling you're doing (what's your activity level set at?).

Have you lost any weight since the last time you had your period? Perhaps it might be beneficial for you to actually put on a little more weight. Even though the BMI says you're "healthy," the BMI isn't a) a good indicator of health, and b) designed for generalities for large populations, not individuals, and has been proven to be not terribly accurate for individuals. So while the BMI might consider you at a "healthy" weight, your weight may, in fact, not be healthy for you, specifically.
  • Hey everyone I'm new to fitness pal I was just wondering Is there anyone trying to gain weight. I'm 19 years old mummy to a 10 month old I've allways been slim and not ate very much. I'm 5'6 and around 112lb my doctors has told me I have to start eating better as I suffer horribly from migraines and my periods are non existent. I was just wondering if any one has these issue too and if they've noticed it got better with being more healthy because sometimes I think maybe this has nothing to do with my weight.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Definitely see your doc as not getting your period can be detrimental to your bones. Good luck!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    I have two thoughts
    1. How low is your body fat %, that can impact your cycle
    2. Perimenopause--- how early did your mom go through menopause?

Do you have both of your ovaries?