Does anyone know where it came from?

Options
Does anyone know where the rule of no more than two pounds per week came from? I mean, who was the inventor of this ruling and how did they come up with this hypothesis? Does anyone know?

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know where the rule of no more than two pounds per week came from? I mean, who was the inventor of this ruling and how did they come up with this hypothesis? Does anyone know?

Its not an invention. It's not a hypothesis. It's hundreds of years of doctors and scientists examining data, and looking at case studies. There isnt a 2 lb rule, it's just a 'rule of thumb' based on what is most likely to be healthy for an individual.

Someone who is 7lbs overweight and someone who is 300lbs overweight have their own optimum amount to lose per week based on losing fat and not muscle, it's just a good guide
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Its not a rule really. Its a guideline.

Like stopping distances for cars. A 1970 old banger with drum brakes is going to take a hell of a lot longer to stop at 50mph than a brand new VW. But the highway code (or whatever the US equivelent is) has fairly defined amounts when it comes to distances.

I have done the same thing for the last 3 months yet some weeks lose 1lb, some weeks 7lb and feel no different in those two extremes.
  • wendangi
    wendangi Posts: 7
    Options
    It's been around a long time. I came from research in the cardiology field. Loosing more than that stresses your heart much in the same way that gaining weight quickly stresses your heart. Even then, loosing 2lbs a week is really only recommended for those who are clinicly obese (BMI>30). People who are overweight should be in the 1lb a week zone (BMI 25-29). Those of healthy weight (BMI <25) but desire to loose fat mass should aim for .5 lbs per week with their primary means of calorie deficit being from exercise.
  • Doreen0211
    Doreen0211 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.
  • Doreen0211
    Doreen0211 Posts: 15
    Options
    It's been around a long time. I came from research in the cardiology field. Loosing more than that stresses your heart much in the same way that gaining weight quickly stresses your heart. Even then, loosing 2lbs a week is really only recommended for those who are clinicly obese (BMI>30).

Thank you for your response. How does losing more than two pounds per week stress the heart? And can you point me towards a clinical study?