Texas Roadhouse Trauma

Options
Ok, I know it's bad to eat at Texas Roadhouse, but my friends really want to go and they gave me a gift certificate. I'm not sure what to eat, though. I absolutely ADORE the rolls, but they're practically the kiss of death. I want the mashed potatoes (I don't get gravy), but I can't find calorie information for them anywhere...what should I do? Any ideas? I don't really want to eat a salad while everyone else is having ribs. That's so depressing.

I weigh in on Saturday mornings, so I'm worried about eating too many calories tonight...but it's Texas Roadhouse. :cry:

Replies

• jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    They do have the best rolls - and that cinnamon butter!!!!! I have to pass one everyday and it's the best smell around - their steaks are awesome
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    choose lean protein...steak or chicken......roadhouse has pretty good steamed veggies if I remember....skip the rolls, or skip the mashed potatoes....eat a side salad while everyone is eating rolls.....and eat slowly.....and stop when you're full.

Just pay attention, and you can still enjoy dinner with your friends.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Nutrition link! http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/texas-roadhouse Pick what you're getting before you go, and stick to it. That way you can eat light and workout the rest of the day so you can eat "saved" calories without guilt.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you type in Texas Roadhouse in your food search on this site it does bring up a few things... not sure if you knew that or not.

Yeah, everytime I go there I just no it isn't going to be a good night and start over the next day. It's just one of my cheat nights. Good luck - this is why I try to avoid this place. However, if you go with a Filet Mignon and veggies on the side with a side salad - this isn't too bad. But, ask your friends to hold the bread and don't let them let you eat it if you really are trying to be good. Drink lots of water. Good luck!
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love Texas Roadhouse but I rarely go anymore because it's torture not to get the ribs and eat those yeast rolls...yum

I say have a moderate free day get the half rack with steamed veggies and a salad and allow yourself 1 roll...then tonight go for a brisk walk..you only live once honey and if you died tomorrow wouldnt it suck to have your last thought be DAMN I should have had those ribs!!! lol
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I'd say look into the calories of whatever you REALLY want to have.

If you want the rolls, the potatoes., and the ribs, found out how many calories in each, order it all, and then only eat say 1 roll, 1/3 of the ribs, and half the potatoes or so. Whatever the calories allow..

Orr.. when I really want to have a treat, and there's now way to modify the recipe, (like when your out) I just get in a hard exercise in the morning (700-900 calories, anyone?) and aim to eat maintenance. It won't kill your diet to have a maintenance day, every two or three weeks, a lot of people find they lose weight after!

(Supposedly shocks the metabolism, and gives it a little boost)
  • tacey21
    tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem today when I went out to lunch for chinese food. Now, its probably a little easier to eat healthy when its chinese than when its TRH.

Anyways.

Yes, I agree with a few of the people on here.

If you found nutrition information for your meal, look at it and see if its really worth it.

If you decide its worth it, just eat it. You are allowed a cheat day... and if you're going out to have a good time, enjoy yourself. You're not going to spiral into a feeding frenzy and gain 70lbs just because you treat yourself once in a while

If you decide to eat it, eat it slowly. Savor it. Really taste it. By the time dinner is over, you'll probably find that you are stuffed and there's still half your plate left.
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening Moonport. I too love Texas Road House, in fact my husband and I are going tomorrow for lunch. I will do slim fast for breakfast and take a walk. I used to get a full rack of ribs a loaded baked potato, salad with ranch dressing, for appetizer my husband and I would share a bloomin onion with lots of dipping sauce and of course 2 or 3 rolls smothered in butter. Now when we go, which isn't very often, first thing I do is drink a full glass of water while we wait for the food I order a half slab of ribs, plain baked potato and salad with dressing on the side and one roll no butter. I eat slowly til I get full and take the rest home for dinner.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't relevant.... but you all are making me hungry for Roadhouse!!! There aren't any where I live, or anywhere close... what a problem to have, huh? :sad:

Hopefully some of those suggestions helped - they were good ones (I'll try to remember in case I ever see one again!) When I used to go - sometimes I would order just a vegetarian plate... they actually serve it and believe it or not - it's GOOD! Then again... 1/2 rack ribs.......... mmmmmmmm-mmmmmm.
  • TattingChic
    TattingChic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that link, Sunsh1ne! That also sounds like a good game plan too!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I actually ate at TX Rd House a couple weeks ago with no problems/trauma to my diet. Just make smart choices. You can see what I ordered here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/DrBorkBork?date=2009-10-29

I only went over my "budget" by a little. Don't be afraid to go to restaurants, just plan ahead :)