In Need of Some Refrigerator Oatmeal Recipes!

Options

Replies

• xtanyx
    xtanyx Posts: 53
    Options
    bump
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I found this website on another post and I'm going to try all of them:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

What a totally awesome website!
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In a small mason jar (size comparable to a PB jar) I add in this order:

1/3 cup almond milk (you can choose between unsweetened and the chocolate; at 1/3 cup, the difference is 25 calories)
    1T unsweetened cocoa
    1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
    1/4 cup greek fat free plain yogurt
    1T chia seeds
    4 to 6 T chocolate PB2
    1 to 2 tsp honey

Close jar and shake until mixed nicely. Then add half a banana, sliced, and stir. Close jar, and let sit in the fridge overnight. You can let it chill for 2 or 3 days if you want, but this stuff is so delicious it is hard to not eat it as soon as it is ready.

For those who haven't seen overnight oats before, you may be hesitant to eat "uncooked" oats, or a oatmeal concoction served chilled. Do it once. You'll be a happier, healthier person. For people who like the idea of chocolate oatmeal, this will be better than your best imaginings.

With maximum ingredient amounts, this recipe comes in under 410 calories of healthy goodness. You can easily edit the sugar/PB2 to reduce calories to approx. 310 calories, or leave out the banana and bring the total in under 275. I recommend full amounts however. Perhaps the most delicious meal you will eat. Try it. Life will change.

YUM!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Ohh...adding to my collection!
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    Bump
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My basic refrigerator oats recipe:

1/3 cup oats
    1 tbsp. chia seeds
    1 tbsp. wheat germ
    1 tbsp. ground flax seed
    1 cup almond milk

Then I add whatever I have fruit wise in the AM, my favorites are raspberries and mango.
  • lorib1108
    lorib1108 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    dont mean to ask a dumb question but what are refrigerator oats? do you cook them?
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    dont mean to ask a dumb question but what are refrigerator oats? do you cook them?

Lol! It's not dumb. I wondered the same thing when I first heard of them. You don't cook them. You let the liquids from whatever it's sitting in soak up in the oats. :)
  • prophetessmom
    prophetessmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you have any that you don't mind sharing, feel free to reply! c:

2 cups steel cut oats
    2/3 c. oat bran
    8 C water

Put in 3 qt crockpot on high for 2 hours 30 minutes. Makes ten 1/2 c servings of oatmeal. We add about 1 tsp ground flax, fruit, or what have you, pop it in the microwave for about 3 minutes (700 watt) and it's awesome. Make it on the weekend, and it's ready for early morning breakfasts. We store it in those ziploc containers in the fridge.
    Duh! Hadn't heard of refrigerator oats before. Sorry. Still, the oatmeal is really good. Will now have to try some of these others, especially since summer is here and hot oatmeal isn't appealing at all! Sorry for the dud post!
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • pmaia
    pmaia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options
    I have tried these, but I just cannot get past the nasty, bitter taste from the greek yogurt. I know it is supposed to be the end all, be all of yogury, but I hate it!! What if I made this with my plain old light vanilla yogurt and just upped my oatmeal a bit to combat the extra liquid from my yogurt compared to the greek?
  • Mrs_Moe
    Mrs_Moe Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have tried these, but I just cannot get past the nasty, bitter taste from the greek yogurt. I know it is supposed to be the end all, be all of yogury, but I hate it!! What if I made this with my plain old light vanilla yogurt and just upped my oatmeal a bit to combat the extra liquid from my yogurt compared to the greek?

I HATE Yogurt, so i make it without. add the chia seeds which helps everything to thicken up.
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have The Yummy Life oats on my menu for this week. I'm looking forward to trying them. The other recipe ideas on this thread look yummy as well. I may have to try them later. :)
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm not really an oatmeal fan, but I do this now and then as a break from my protein smoothies. I love almonds & almond flavor, so in addition to the almond milk & Greek yogurt, I add a couple drops of almond extract, then throw in some toasted almonds in the morning (so they stay crunchy).
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options

I make mine with kroger carbmaster yogurt instead.