days you don't exercise...

Options
for me that was today. the last 9 months i was very strict working out and now that im down to the last 10 lbs to lose im slowly losing motivation. im not even doing half of what i did before yet im still managing to lose a lb or so per week. i started the 30 day shred four days ago along with some cardio on the treadmill but tonight i just couldnt force myself to do it and i feel horrible. i still ate very good but i just get in this mindset that ive ruined everything and im about to have an anxiety attack. i hate when this happens :cry: its like until i can work out again ill feel like i gained it all back. does anybody have these days, what do you do?

Replies

• mtweety33
    Options
    I know what you mean. I feel awful when I don't exercise but I've realized that sometimes my body just needs to rest and I've just got to relax. Whenever I'm feeling guilty about it I just do something else to get my mind off of it. I'll watch a movie, go to sleep, or if I just have to move I'll turn on some music and dance. :happy: Hope this helps. Good luck on those last 10 lbs. You can do it!!!

143295.png
  • pfunkt
    Options
    I actually think our bodies need a break from exercise every once in a while...
    Be proud of yourself for staying on track and eating well despite feeling like you've failed. You haven't failed...You just took a day off from exercise!!! : ) your body appreciates the rest and you will likely push yourself harder tomorrow anyway! it's all good!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you feel this way! Your body does need to rejuvinate so IF you feel you NEED to do something then just go outside and take a stroll! I say outside because you need the fresh air to calm you down and I say stroll because you NEED to relax! Take in deep breaths and give thanks for being out getting fresh air and some exercise!! I wish you well sweetie!
  • rvchristi
    Options
    I had one of those days today. I am just in the beginning week of my journey. I was so tired today and I have a bad cold, and I know you're not supposed to do cardio when you have an illness above the waist. BUT.... I don't beat myself up about the decision I have made. You made a decision for what ever reason...just get back to it tomorrow. Also, if you are still losing 1-2 pounds a week, That's the best way to lose the last 10!! It stays off that way. So you are doing EVERYTHING good! Look in the mirror and smile <3
  • Darcylynn
    Darcylynn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I plan for two "rest days" each week. I find my really busy days for the week on the calendar and plan to rest those days. That way theres no guilt .I also do 30 day shred. I really didn't think I'd ever be able to do it . But i can. Congratulations on you weight loss just don't give up.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Rest days:

1. Can be extremely important to continue progress.

2. Will have ZERO negative effect on your overall progress--weight loss, fitness, etc. I can't repeat that often enough.

3. Are a part of life. Remember: this is an ultramarathon, not a sprint, not middle distance, not even a regular marathon. In the timeline of a successful weight loss program, nine months is barely completing the beginner's course--it's like you finished kindergarten and you are working on a PhD.

4. The most effective programs are those that result in positive behaviors that become a permanent part of your lifestyle. Do you really expect that you can live the rest of your life and never miss a day of exercise? Life happens. A key part of success is having the confidence in yourself that you can handle what life throws at you, that missing a day doesn't mean your program is over.

And one other thing: if you had a day where you just didn't feel energized to work out....you body is trying to hit you upside the head and tell you----I NEED A DAY OFF. Listen to it. Have faith. You'll be (better than) fine.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    for me that was today. the last 9 months i was very strict working out and now that im down to the last 10 lbs to lose im slowly losing motivation. im not even doing half of what i did before yet im still managing to lose a lb or so per week. i started the 30 day shred four days ago along with some cardio on the treadmill but tonight i just couldnt force myself to do it and i feel horrible. i still ate very good but i just get in this mindset that ive ruined everything and im about to have an anxiety attack. i hate when this happens :cry: its like until i can work out again ill feel like i gained it all back. does anybody have these days, what do you do?

What do I do? Change my clothes, make a snack, and enjoy the extra leisure time. Because I know the lack of motivation/performance was my body's way of telling me it just wasn't ready for what I wanted it to do. And I know that taking off a day--or even two sometimes--means that I will soon have a great workout and move into a new positive phase.

In fact, that's exactly what happened to me today. I missed yesterday because of my schedule and was geared up to do a big workout today to make up for it. But when I worked out, I kind of "bonked" after about 25 minutes and when I tried to continue, I just didn't have it.

Looking back, I was due for something like this. I had just finished a good 7-10 days of a "hard" training phase, had reached some new cardio performance levels, raised by top bench press weight by 15lbs and --for me at least--was kicking some serious workout booty.

But I had a frenetic couple of days, was up until 3 am to pick up my stepdaughter and her friends who went to see the midnight show of "New Moon", and my eating schedule was way off today. The combination of that and the fact that my body hasn't quite recovered from the succession of hard workouts finally showed up in my workout performance. No big deal. In the past I used to take 2-3 days off when this occurred, but now, to keep my routine going, I just back down and do some lower-intensity endurance workouts and start to cycle back up.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Some days you just don't have it in you. I haven't done a real cardio workout in days...I've just been so darn tired.