Learning to run

Options
Ok embarrassing as this is, I can't run well at all. I can manage one lap of a soccer field or about 60-90 seconds of running but I can't seem to figure out how to run any longer.

Once I get to that point, I feel like I'm straining to breathe, my limbs don't want me to lift them and I'm internally screaming at myself to take ONE MORE STEP! I go BRIGHT red and sweat like a monster in a sauna. Now, I know I'm unfit, but I can walk for hours and hours, ride a bike for hours and hours and I go to the gym daily. Is it just a question of 'harden up and keep at it till I get it', or is it likely that I'm actually doing something wrong. If nothing else I know I lean to the left when I run for some reason.

Ok please help because I WANT to run. I really do. I just.... don't really know how.

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It's likely you're running too fast. Even if you feel you're going slow, go even slower. Work on keeping your back straight and your posture good, and run what feels like very slowly. As long as you've got your form right running at a low speed, you can build endurance and then work on getting quicker.
  • chapmandelboy
    chapmandelboy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hi i was like you at first, the way to build up fitness is to running for a period of time, then walk, then run again, then walk etc, i first was doing runs at a 12min/mile pace, now just 4 weeks later i am running at 9min/mile, its all about patience and persistence, keep at it
  • IndyHannah
    IndyHannah Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Can you try couch to 5k? This is what I started using to learn how to run and like you could barely run for a minute without feeling like I had to stop and give up. I used this programme then went onto the 10k one and just recently ran a 16 mile challenge for charity!

Just take it slow. Don't try too much too quickly as you'll probably give yourself an injury and end up not wanting to ever run again!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try the Couch to 5K programme - just google it. It combines walking and running intervals, you start off doing more walking than running and as you go through the programme over the weeks,the intervals change so that the running is more and the walking is less. Ultimately it ends with you running 5K. You can print if off on paper or download an app if you have a smartphone. I think its great for anyone who hasn't run before and it sounds like it would be a good start for you if you can walk miles. Good luck :smile:
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm really excited to answer this question because I think I have a solution.... have you heard of the C25K (Couch to 5km) Program? It's an app for your phone that trains you (using intervals of walking or running) to go from a couch potato to running 5km straight in a matter of weeks! All you have to do is go for a run 3 days a week using the app, which tells you when to walk/run. Over the weeks, the length of running gradually gets longer and longer.

AND it's free. It's really popular here on MFP and heaps of people have had amazing success with it. I'm starting it tomorrow :)

Google it or search it on here for more info :)
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I was like you. I don´t even think I could run for a whole minute. I´m a new runner myself, now I can do 5 minutes.I agree that you have to go slow. I ran once with an experienced runner and she told me I was going way to fast. I run like 16 m/m. I actually once made it to WALK faster than I usually run. Don´t mind about the speed. And yes, walk-run, walk-run. You will love it as you see the progress. For me, the progress is going very slow, but I can see now that I´m doing better. I have a goal that I want to do a 5k. I don´t care how long it will take me to get there, but I will eventually get there!

You will enjoy running, as long as you don´t push yourself to far, so that you will get injuries. You just go! And have fun while doing it. :smile:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    C25k: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Key is to take it slow. Repeat weeks if necessary.

If you really want to do it, you will.

--P
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Definitely do the Couch to 5k program! I did it (am still doing it) and LOVE it! I used to hate to run, never thought I would be a runner, but now not only CAN I do it, but I ENJOY doing it! I just did my week 7 day 1 run (25 minutes no walking) and it felt great! Am I a fast runner? No, definitely not. But, I'm running. The program builds you up and if you need to repeat a week, that's what you do. I repeated several for different reasons. But now I'm past the walk/run part and just running. Only 3 weeks left until I'm running for 30 minutes straight, and THEN I'll work on my speed and distance. My ultimate goal is to be able to do a 10 min/mile for 30 minutes and to be able to do at least 5 or 6 miles. Good luck!
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have to add my two cents towards C25K as well. I just recently started the program again and love it. I was doing it for the 4 weeks before I got pregnant and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to progress with the program. Prior to doing C25K I used to think that I hated running and had a list of reasons for why I "couldn't" run.....flat feet, legs turned in slightly at the hips...I just thought my body wasn't made for it. C25K changed all those perceptions.

I think one other thing that helped was having properly fitting shoes designed specifically for running. I went to a shop here who goes through a whole process to find the right shoe for your feet. Running shoes are constructed very differently than walking shoes and once I got my new shoes I noticed I was much more comfortable when running.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I did the Couch to 5K program in February, having previously been someone who couldn't run for more than a minute without being winded. I'm running my first 5K race in two weeks (aiming to finish in under half an hour) and my first 10K race in September. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm another C25K-er. I just did Week 2 Day 1 this morning.

Previously I had gotten myself up to three, six minute running intervals on a treadmill. but I literally hated it, and dreaded doing it.

This program makes it a lot easier... and since it's on my phone, it's pretty much mindless. The program beeps at me when I need to run, beeps when I need to walk, keeps track of how long it's been. and thats it.

I also find that running outside, I have to run much slower then I do on a treadmill.. otherwise I'll never make it through my intervals!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5k (C25k) program. I've always been against running. I knew too many runners who had joint problems even at young ages to want to do that to myself. But now after competing in a (very) mini triathlon I am hooked. I've started the C25k program and intend to eventually run a marathon (only if it is just one).

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

http://www.c25k.com/
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Me either!
    I am trying though, everyday when I'm out walking I jog/run for about a minute but so far thats it :/
    I want to be able to jog/run for at least 5minutes at a time without feeling like you said :/
    Maybe it time?
  • JaneFinnigan
    JaneFinnigan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would second everyone saying Couch 2 5K.

To address your comment about "turning bright red" --

I used to run Varsity cross-country in high school, and even when I was quite good, I always turned bright red if it was hot enough and humid enough. Just an unfortunate side-effect of having pale skin. It had nothing to do with my level of fitness, just an indicator of my body getting up to a certain temperature and not being able to get rid of heat quickly.

Because of this, I always prefer running in the cool days of fall, when I don't turn bright red!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Most of us started out the same way, I know I did, but my following a program whether thats C25K or just by inter-mixing walking with running at longer distances over time, eventually your legs, lungs and heart will all get stronger.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have excersie induced Asthma and have to take my inhaler 10 to 15 mins before i run makes a hugh diffence for me. I always just thought i was so out of shape and couldn't run then I read about this and said hey that's me. might want to check into. Now i'm running 42 min three days a week and working up to that with the cto5k on my other days to be at six days a week. Slower is better for me I'll work no speed when i get more weight off. Being able to breath is so important for your whole body.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Go with C25K! I'm starting W4D1. It's a great program.
  • matafleur
    matafleur Posts: 5
    Options
    I had this same problem when starting too! Because of it, I never would go running.

Things changed for me when I joined my local Y and started trying to run inside on a treadmill. Setting the speed on the treadmill to just fast enough that I couldn't walk it, I slowly learned how to jog (at like a 13.5 minute mile) for five minutes at time. After a few times doing that, I was able to increase both the speed on the treadmill and the time I can run without having to cut back to walking.

The great thing about the treadmill is that it forces you to run at a set pace and to slow down! I realize now that when I first tried running I must have been doing an 8 minute mile pace (which is way to fast starting out!)

Keep at it! You'll get it!
  • acfkaren
    acfkaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I so empathise! I can also walk for ever, lift heavy weights at the gym etc etc - but running? Pathetic! I will have a good look at the programme you have all suggested myself.

Thanks for asking the question - and so nice to see lovely answers too!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I can so relate! I started the c25k program. It started with me not even being able to run 1 minute to now running 25 minutes. No injuries or pain thanks be to God. It works with you slowly. I do it three days a week and then do 30day shred tues and thurs. I do a practice 5k on sat.
    This as well as a diet overhaul has literally saved my life. I'm addicted.
    Give it a try. The best thing about it is that you can do a day over and over until you feel comfortable. It's definitely worth trying.
    Also, get fitted for shoes at a running store. So worth it.
    Good luck in whatever you do :smile: