What's your favorite hummus recipe?

katy84o
katy84o Posts: 744 Member
I'm burnt out on my current recipe, hoping that I can get some tips to make it a bit more interesting. Any ideas appreciated! Thanks!!

Replies

• South Beach Hummus
    Beach Diet cookbook. Some of the best hummus you'll ever eat. Better then store bought!
    Minutes to Prepare: 15
    Number of Servings: 5

Ingredients

1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
    2 Tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    3 cloves garlic, chopped or 1 1/2 - 2tsp. already minced garlic
    2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1/8 tsp ground red pepper or 1 Tbsp finely diced fresh jalapeno
    1/2 tsp salt
    Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Directions
    Drain the chickpeas, reserving 1/4-1/2 cup of the liquid. Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, onion, garlic, oil, cumin, pepper, and salt in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth adding the chickpea liquid if needed to thin the puree. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving to blend the flavors. Garnish with parsley. Makes about 5 (4 oz) servings.

Number of Servings: 5
  • signer47
    signer47 Posts: 1
    Hummus
    • 1 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans ( drain beans and save liquid )
    • 3 teaspoons lemon juice
    • 2 rounded tablespoons tahini
    • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Preparation:
    • Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth. If too thick add a little of the saved liquid to thin.
    Optional ingredients for a little different flavor. Start with 1 teaspoon, taste and add more if you want.
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    Or
    1 Teaspoon chopped cilantro
    Or
    1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil.
    Or
    1 Teaspoon chopped sun-dried tomatoes

1 Tablespoon = Calories 27, Fat 1.3g, saturated fat 0.2g, Carbohydrate’s 3g, Protein 0.7g, Cholesterol 0g

You can also change the kind of beans you use, my daughter likes black beans. I have also done this recipe and used 16oz of cooked beets instead of beans it was delicious.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Thank you ladies, Signer 47, I think I may try the basil. I have some fresh basil growing outside and I think that will add a little different flavor.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    pre processed chickpeas
    lemon zest infused olive oil
    cracked black pepper to taste.

Spin in the processor.

EASY & DELICIOUS my coworker turned me on. holy yum if you like lemon flavor. Plus getting them pre processed makes it easier.
  • vvibedjs
    vvibedjs Posts: 1
    BUMP!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    yeah, bump too :-D
  • bertfe2
    bertfe2 Posts: 1 Member
    Roasted Red pepper Hummus:

Use the plain hummus recipe above, and add 1/4 - 1/2 c. chopped roasted red peppers. I also add jalapenos to taste-we like ours hot. YUM YUM!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Trader Joe's!!! :love: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

In the deli case...... YUMMMY! :bigsmile:
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    I have added a whole smoked red pepper before, loved the taste.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    I'm a huge fan of adding roasted red peppers or sun dried tomatoes to any hummus recipe.
  • aunty_gaga
    aunty_gaga Posts: 16 Member
    add roasted pumpkin or sweet potato to a basic hummus recipe and blend in a food processor, you can add paprika and/or cumin to it also :)
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    BUMP
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Bump...I'm ready to start making my own hummus!
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Yummy... I would say as long as you have the general "base", get as creative as you want! Pizza (roasted tomatoes/Italian seasoning), simple garlic, anything (well, maybe not EVERYTHING but ya know). Love me some hummus. What low cal things does everyone use with it, crackers, ect...?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    I like pretzel rods with mine, or just fresh bell pepper slices.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    1 can chick peas
    1-2 tsp sesame oil
    1-2 tsp creamy peanut butter
    hot sauce to taste( I like the one with the chicken on it)
    water if needed for consistency
    process til smooth yum!
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Scroll down on this page and you'll find a list of Hummus recipes that will take some time to wear you out:

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/hummusrecipes/a/How-To-Make-Hummus-Without-A-Food-Processor.htm
  • GingerDarlene
    GingerDarlene Posts: 164 Member
    I don't have a recipe but my all time fav is the Sabra Greek Olive hummus if you can find it for something different, delish!!! I put it on a pita with some turkey for lunch.
  • KRaemondH
    KRaemondH Posts: 120 Member
    1 CAN CHICKPEAS
    1 - 2 TEA SPOON OLIVE OIL
    1 TEASPOON CUMIN
    1 TEASPOON CRUSHED RED PEPPER
    JUICE FR HALF A LEMON
    2 LRG GARLIC CLOVES

BLEND IN A FOOD PROCESS. ITS THE EASIEST AND HEALIEST WAY I HAVE FOUND
    THIS RECIPE WORKS REALLY WELL WITH BLACK BEANS TOO AS A DIP :)
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    bump
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Whizz up a can of chickpeas and garlic in the food processor, add a tablespoon of tahini, a tiny bit of oil, and whizz again. Then I add sweet chilli sauce :)
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    I make a basic hummus with a can of chickpeas, garlic, parsley, cumin and lemon juice. My favourite things to add are some feta (the kind in oil and herbs) or sundried tomatoes. I had to stop making the one with sundried tomatoes cause I would just eat the whole batch in one day!
  • devster71
    devster71 Posts: 6 Member
    Highly recommend not using canned chickpeas. Start with dried peas and let them soak overnight, in the morning set up a crockpot and let them cook all day. With a one pound bag of peas I'll only use 2 tablespoons olive oil and the cooking liquid to get the desired consistency. BTW use peanut butter or couple dashes of sesame seed oil to get that nutty flavor. As for flavor enhancers be creative.
  • YamRector
    YamRector Posts: 74 Member
    thanks!
  • agh89
    agh89 Posts: 1
    1 can garbanzo beans
    2 large bunches cilantro (more if you want)
    2 cloves garlic
    2-3 T olive oli
    zest of 1 lime
    Juice of 1 lime ( more if you want)
    1 t cayenne pepper
    blend it all up
  • 19steph88
    19steph88 Posts: 30 Member
    bump
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Bump. Thanks
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Have you tried beetroot hummus? Great colour too!

Blend a tin of chickpeas, some garlic, a tablespoon of tahini and 3 beetroot (cooked and peeled).

Yum!
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    I just tried this today~I was HOPING it would be good and it is delicious!

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2012/06/garlic-zucchini-hummus-and-cinnamon.html

**I tried the garlic/zucchini--no chickpeas.