Reached goal... Now what?

Options
erinl84
erinl84 Posts: 90 Member
So I reached my goal and now want to focus on toning a little more. First off, I'm so nervous to switch to maintain cause I'm scared of gaining. But if I want to tone, do I still switch to maintain? Any tips on what I need to do in order to maintain and tone? I feel like I got the hang of losing weight and now scared to try to maintain it lol

Replies

• Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    congratulations, what an achievement!!! as for maitaning, I think if you simply keep eating healthy, as you did before but allowing yourself to have a treat from time to time, you will be fine. Are you at your ideal weight now, the one you wanted? then it will be easy to watch fluctuations, for example, if you gain you will feel it immediately. working out will help build muscle and keep your body toned and strong for the rest of your life.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    From what I understand to maintain you will be eating whatever MFP has for your maintenance calories plus eating back exercise calories. If you don't eat them, that will put you at a deficit. Hopefully someone with more experience will shed some light on this for you.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    The sky's the limit. Think of what you want. Are you 100% satisfied with your health? Your body?
    And if not, what new goals can you set?
    It's all up to YOU :flowerforyou:

Some people compete in some event like a half marathon or get involved in a sport like tennis or a hoby like hiking or take their whole fitness to a higher level - whatever.
    And some are happy where they are, so they work to maintain.
    Ball's in your court - Good Luck to you whatever you decide.
    All Is Possible!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Congrats x3 on your achievement! If you want to maintain your weight, you should ask yourself, " if this is a life-long commitment, or am i not going to take it too seriously, now that i'm at my goal?" Speaking for myself, once i reach my goal, i don't want to start gaining again, i just want to allow that "indulgence" once in a while, and kind of stick to the game plan that got me to my goal weight.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    don't know how it will work out for you but when i reached my goal, i switched to maintain, started strength training with less cardio and gained 3 lbs.!!! my clothes actually fit looser but i'm a numbers person so the weight gain really bothers me. i eventually ended up switching back to less calories and i'm still at same weight but atleast not gaining.

i know how hard and how long it takes for some people to reach their goals, so when they finally do, the last thing they want to do is gain weight. people have stressed over and over and over again how important strength training is (saggy, untoned skin, even when there's less of it, is still not as nice as toned skin). i say go for the strength training and switch to maintain but take your measurements. i didn't and i wish i had.

good luck...
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting a test for percent of body fat. When you have that number, decide where you want to end up and pursue that goal. If you choose to lose fat and gain muscle you'll need to be sure to maintain a high level of protein. Your body will be more inclined now to give up muscle instead of fat. So your lean muscle mass needs plenty of nutrition to stay in tact.
  • Jenny111372
    Jenny111372 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be in your same situation soon..lol..I made the final goal I set for myself of 130 last week..I'm at 128.1 and working towards 125 and then I'm wanting to just maintain there (I'm 5'2"). I've already started focusing on toning/tightening up but I'm like you, apprehensive about actually going into maintenance. That's why I've decided 125 so that if I should gain a little, as long as I'm at 130 I'll be good! :) But just to maybe help ease your anxiety about maintenance, I recently went on a 14 day vacay and while I tried my hardest to stay within my weight loss calorie goal, I know I ate at or over my maintenance several times and when I came back and did my official weigh in 3 days later, I had lost 3.1 pounds! So, who knows what could happen! :) Good luck! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!