Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

So tired all the time

It's been two weeks of eating better, walking more often, cutting out added sugar and salt to foods. I've drastically reduced my dairy (I take calcium supplements) and gluten intake (using more gluten-free grains) and am drinking my 8 glasses (sometimes more) of water.

I eat enough protein. I eat more than 1200 calories a day and I'm not working out at intense levels.

I should be feeling more energetic and awake, right? Wrong! I feel exhausted and very sleepy all the time. I'm sleeping more and more during the day and can't seem to feel energized.

My food diary is open in case you want to make dietary recommendations.

Is this "normal?" Is it just my body adjusting or do I need to take myself to a doctor?

Replies

• tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    There may be something more going on but when I started working out I was passing out on the couch by 7pm
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    How are you sleeping? Are you getting a solid 7-8 hours of sleep every night? Do you have a regular bedtime?

I had this issue at first until I set a regular bedtime and regular wake up time.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    How are you sleeping? Are you getting a solid 7-8 hours of sleep every night? Do you have a regular bedtime?

I had this issue at first until I set a regular bedtime and regular wake up time.

My sleep hours are the same they used to be. I actually think I'm sleeping better now that I'm eating differently.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    It's only been two weeks, your body is reacting to change. Sometimes our bodies react well, but mostly they seem to like things as they were. But it's okay, if you can get extra rest in, great. Sleep repairs. I really wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening, in which case, see a doctor.

Or, if you're worried, see one now. I'm just a stranger on the internet with no medical training, don't take my word for a darn thing!
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    I had a quick look at your Diary and your food allowance is 1680 cals plus exercise calories. You appear to be regularly eating less than your food allowance by about 450 cals a day of which about 150 cals is exercise. Even if you don't eat your exercise cals you are regularly undereating by 300 cals a day. You need to at the very least be eating the whole of your food allowance. You need to think about eating at least half your excercise calories as well. I suspect that is why you are feeling tired.
  • Tee2072
    Tee2072 Posts: 15
    Quick look at your diary tells me you're not eating enough iron. Chicken and eggs are all well and good, but you need red meat as well, or other things that have the same enzymes/iron, to give you energy.

Start eating more red meat or try an iron tablet. Or spinach or other iron rich foods.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    take a daily multivitamin - i take one a day + energy, it really helps a lot, it takes a couple weeks to really get ur system in order, but trust me, once all ur levels are up, and u continue to take the vitamin daily (with food) it will help a lot, also, it helps get all ur organs working properly and together, so you will probably notice some extra weight loss, when i started taking it, i lost 5 lbs without changing my diet and i was not working out at that time
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    It looks like a good balanced diet but it could be that in eating healthy you are getting used to cutting out some rubbish you diet was relying on? It can take 2-3 weeks to flush everything out but if it is continuing I suggest a GP opinion to rule out anything suspicious!!!
  • Roxy7143
    Roxy7143 Posts: 1
    If you haven't done so already, I'd consider a medical check up. There have been a few people that I know that have a minor thyroid imbalance that causes them to feel tired and sleepy all the time no matter what they do.

Personally, I started using 5 hour energies to keep me going when I feel tired during the day. I don't drink the whole bottle, just a swallow.
  • anuroopr
    anuroopr Posts: 12 Member
    I had a quick look at your food diary and I could not see how much sugar you are consuming. A diet very low in sugar may cause your energy levels to fall off. If you are not already, it might help to add a moderate amount of sugar to your diet. Best of luck!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Red meat - I rarely ate it before so I doubt it is a factor.

Thyroid levels are fine based on blood tests from about 5 months ago.

A multi-vitamin is a good idea. I'd forgotten about that.

I cut out table sugar completely to avoid insulin spikes. I've stayed away from "white" foods and stuck with whole grains and complex carbs.

My blood pressure has always been about 100/70, sometimes 90/65 so I wonder if the reduction in sodium is causing it to go lower and therefore this feeling of fatigue.
  • madhattedmadness
    madhattedmadness Posts: 8 Member
    I am feeling the same.. i just started working out 6 days a week and the only grains i eat are quinoa.. i dont know if i am getting enough calories and protein etc... someone told me to get my B12 and Iron levels checked out. It wouldnt hurt for you to get some blood tests to see what vitamins and nutrition you might be missing out on. I am going to do the same.
    I am honestly tired ALL THE TIME. i sleep on my lunch breaks and im in bed by 8....I work at a gas station, so I'm standing all day...5 days a week..but I don't think I should be this tired too. also, same as you.. I'm not working out too intensely.