Does Anyones weight fluxuate alot?

Options
It seems like my weight and go up and down dramatically within one or two days. I was wondering if anyone had any help or tips with this? thanks

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Don't sweat it.
  • daddynunn
    daddynunn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mine can fluctuate as much as 5lbs per day depending on how much water I drink per day. I drink about 2gals of water per day and no pop or sugary drinks. I can not drink much less due to my diuretic to keep the fluid off that is taken w/my bp med. I do see a difference when I watch my sodium intake though so try that and eat more veggies like celery cause you burn more than you consume on veggies like celery.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yes...that's why I stopped tracking it daily...I check once a week, sunday morning, after my morning workout, before breakfast, at about the same time, everytime.
  • sqwerly
    sqwerly Posts: 31
    Options
    Mine was really starting to upset me as it was fluctuating so much. Now i check it weekly but I do body measurements which shows me change.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think women's weight fluctuates more than men. My husband and I tried this with Wii Fit a few years ago. We both used it every day and weighed ourselves daily. Mine fluctuated by 3-4lb, his stayed the same pretty much every day, maybe as much as 1lb out!

Weekly is the most frequently you should weigh yourself!
  • Nancy160s
    Nancy160s Posts: 5
    Options
    mine does that to i have no idea why....
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    Options
    Yes. I can go up as much as 10 lbs during tom and it takes another 5 days or so after it ends to take it off. But the good news is that it comes off.
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Mine does, big time. To save frustration, weigh yourself in the morning, at the same time, for a week. There will be one day that you weigh the least. Use that day as your weigh-in day, and only weigh yourself on that day, around the same time (morning after going to the bathroom is best) every week.

Good luck!
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yes, mine does too (even multiple pounds throughout the same day). It is irritating but I don't count those weights as they depend on how much i drank for the day, what kind of foods I ate, quality time in the bathroom and stuff like that. I count what I get on my once a week weigh in (even though sometimes during the week I may weigh less then my next weekly weigh in due to water retention and the such.
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    yes lol all the time
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    Weight does fluctuate during the day so if you weigh at different points in the day, you are going to see it a lot and it is normal. If you weigh at the same time every morning (say, after the bathroom but before eating a drinking) you shouldn't see much of a fluctuation because that is the point in the day when your weight should be the most consistent. If you still see dramatic fluctuations in weight that time of the morning, that is probably related to hydration and possibly sodium issues. I had trouble with this for a while and realized I was drinking inconsistent and LOW amounts of water for my weight. When I started consistently drinking proper amounts of water (and adjusted for sodium if it was high that day and exercise) my weight finally dropped back off and steadied. Now I weigh myself randomly two mornings a week and if it does anything, it drops pretty consistently by a few ounces each time.

So rule of thumb to keep your morning weigh-ins a little more consistent, and to stay properly hydrated: Drink 1/2 your body weight in oz. each day. Drink more for exercise and more if your sodium is high. Don't drink it in large amounts at the time, but pace yourself throughout the day.

The weather channel has a pretty good hydration calculator that takes into account where you live and how long you exercise to help you decide how much extra you should be drinking.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Mine fluctuates too. I've gained 2 pounds in water weight that I am having trouble getting rid of despite my best efforts. I know it's not an actual gain because I would have noticed if I had consumed 7000 calories above maintenance. I just need to wait it out.

Edit: I forgot to add I do look at the scale, but not nearly as much. I know I am getting healthier by reduced calorie diet, walking and eliminating pop.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's hydration. It doesn't matter. From a measurement point of view it's what we call "noise". Put the scale away and get it out once a week at the most. Even in RAPID weight loss (not generally recommended) change is within ounces each day, if that, and your weight will fluctuate under and over that amount within a day or two. You need to measure less frequently in order to have any sense of where weight is actually going.

When you do weigh, pick the same time of day and under the same conditions every week or two.

Also, if you haven't already, measure .... arms, legs, hips, bust, neck, waist, thighs....whatever you want to measure, knock yourself out...and remeasure every 2-4 weeks. There will be times the scale isn't moving but those measurements will be.

Good luck.
  • YourfriendVJ
    Options
    Yes, mine does drastically also! I am glad to read from others that it seems to be par for course. So I will stop worrying and take some of the good advice that has been offered!
  • Browneyedgirl140
    Browneyedgirl140 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My weight did fluctuate this week. I am starting my third week on MFP. My first week the weight came off consistently throughout the week. Then the second week I weighed myself midweek just to see then my official weigh in for me is Sunday mornings. The difference this week was two pounds. I'm a little discouraged, so I think I will only weigh in on Sundays from now on to keep it consistent. . I know a lot of it can be from the amount of water I drink each day.
  • jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks everyone! Its just fustrating because on Saturday I had finally gone down to my lowest in over a year and then 2 days later I had gained 5 pounds? I do weigh myself at the same time everyday i guess that was just an off day. I weighed myself today and had lost another 2 pounds from my lowest! I will just only weigh myself once a week and drink plenty of water. Thank you so much for all of your posts!!!