Tilapia suggestions?

Options
ladyraven68
ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
Just bought some Tilpia in the supermarket - never seen it there before but have been looking out for it.

What's your favourite way to cook it?

Replies

• garyrog
    garyrog Posts: 1
    Options
    Just Microwave it for 2-3 minutes add melted butter and parmesan.

Optionally, if you're not low-carb, Tillapia and Corn on the Cob go well together.
  • sweetpea5445
    sweetpea5445 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My husband insists I batter it and fry it for him. I've grilled it for me and it is good, too.
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    Ignore me, just found some resipes on here.

I am guilty of the thing I hate about others - asking a question without doing a search first!
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I adore tilapia, grill it broil it bake it. stick it in a food processor and make tilapia burgers.
    It's very versatile and easy to work with.

I hope you enjoy it.
  • JenS826
    JenS826 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just loooooove it with some slices of fresh garlic and some Pam in the pan. Yum!

Or I've just had it with some of the salt-free seasonings you can get in the supermarket.
  • MollDoll81
    MollDoll81 Posts: 43
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broiled-tilapia-parmesan/

Light mayo, serve with a big salad. Very tasty!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've grilled it, baked it, and pan fried it. Just baked it recently with a white wine and lemon sauce - it was fantastic. I've grilled it with Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle and used it for fish tacos. I've pan fried it and topped it with a mustard cream sauce. It is versatile.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had it the other day, marinated it in orange juice, orange zest, cholula, olive oil a little salt and pepper and grilled it. Paula Deen recipe actually!
  • wkay22
    wkay22 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, My name is Kay. I love Tilapia and here is an easy way. First I always rinse my meat or fish in cool water and pat dry.
    Depending on your diet: brush with olive oil or butter lightly.

Broil for 3 minutes
    Turn, again olive oil or butter and sprinkle with Parmasan cheese and lemon pepper
    Broil for 3 minutes.

I also add a bit of Paprika for a lovely color. My husband and I love capers so I also dot with them.
  • wkay22
    wkay22 Posts: 3
    Options
    Oops, Kay again. A little garlic is always good
  • bigboytriathlon
    bigboytriathlon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh man, the best thing about tilapia is that it takes on the flavor of what you cook or serve along with it, and is also fantastic just grilled. It is a "softer" filet, which means it will break down more easily than say a tuna or halibut (which is flaky, but holds up better), which lends itself to quick grilling,

One of my favorite ways to eat fish is good old USA Southern fried. Well, can't do that any longer, right? So, I season the filet with a liberal amount of old bay seasoning and lemon, then dredge it through eggwhite and here is the best part; buy some plain old fiber one cereal and crush it with a rolling pin. It has a sweetish flavor, but not overpowering, take the filet that you dredged in egg white and now coat it in the fiber one cerel and bake it.

This will simulate a fried piece of fish, and I generally serve it with asparagus or mashed (creamed) garlic cauli, but you can also serve it in low calorie / carb tortilla with a little cabbage and salsa and have a damn good fish taco.

This dredge also works for shrimp and is a little like fried coconut shrimp, in fact, add some coconut flakes to the dredge for a perfect coat.

Good luck!
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Baked with cherry tomatoes and feta and a little greek seasoning! Delicious and healthy!
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions, Going to try it simply pan fried the first time, but will definitely try some of the suggestions, especially the burger. - sounds great for a barbeque.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Tilapia has virtually no flavor, so cook it with whatever you want it to taste like.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    salt, pepper, garlic powder...or...bay seasoning
    pop it in the oven for a few minutes
    yum
  • ladystrange1
    ladystrange1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    pan fry usually with a Cajun seasoning blend with extra Cheyenne for good measure. Squirt 1/8 lemon on each flip and throw the squeezed lemon in the pan also for extra lemony flavor ( I do use a non stick pan). I have tried Oil and butter but it seems to bring out the blandness of the fish.

perfect side
    broccoli in the food processor add butter and Parmesan and zap or heat in a pot
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I bake it with Mrs. Dash lemon pepper.. super flavorful.. only calories from the fish though.. oh, and the super light spray I use so it does stick.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Tilapia in the fridge means it's time for fish tacos. Cilatro, lime, a little tequila, some fresh onions and peppers, and some guacamole if you're in the mood.
  • Arperjen
    Arperjen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Pan-fried with a little butter mixed with lime juice, then topped with pico de gallo and black pepper. Simple but nomnomnomnom.

These other suggestions look great too!
  • varulv
    varulv Posts: 21
    Options
    in a pan with lime or lemon juice with pepper no salt