What are you basing your weight goals on?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I'm basing mine on my bodyfat %.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My first goal is to get back to the weight I was when I got married last summer - post wedding contentment has not been good for the waistline! Our 1st anniversary is 19 August and Ive got 8lbs to go.

My 2nd goal is to get back to the weight I was when we met - post falling love contentment is also bad for the figure! That's going to take some time as I've got 38lbs to go for that one!

Also my goals are mostly size orientated rather than weight: I've ditched my size 16 jeans and am (just) fitting into my 14s. When Im in my 12s again I'll be a happy bunny!
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the BMI because it's antiquated and outdated. My bones, muscles and organs alone weigh more than the BMI thinks I should weigh by like two pounds. And I have pretty low muscle mass right now. But I'm not a big girl. I have a pretty small frame and I'm really short. I have really dense organs and bones so I weigh a lot. BMI just doesn't make sense.

I remember what I weighed, looked like and felt like when I was at my healthiest, before I got sick. And that is what I am aiming for with my goals.

My doctor and a nutritionist have both recommended a goal for my lean muscle mass and my total percent body water and I switch between focusing on those and focusing on fat and weight.
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this right now. When I first started, I was aiming for a BMI of 22, which seemed like it was more or less in the middle of the "normal" range. Then I found a calculator online (not one of the ones posted above) that took frame size into account, and I upped it a bit based on that. Then I made it to that goal and was still not happy with where I was at, so I moved it back down. Not sure what the right answer is!
  • Hasu
    Hasu Posts: 67
    Options
    For me its basically my BMI. I've never been small in my adult life, so I figure its a pretty good range to shoot for. There's a 40 pound difference between the low and high end of a healthy BMI for someone of my height. I figure that's more than enough room for me to play around with to decide what looks best on me for someone of my height and build.

Because we all know 140 on some people looks amazingly healthy and on some others, not so much. Best advice, find a good weight range that should be doable, take your time getting there and once you're there - decide what weight works best for you.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I chose 130, it's at the top of my BMI range (I've had 2 kids), but I know I felt good at that weight. I haven't been that small since I was a freshman in college, but I think it's good for me. I'm 5'2", but I'm just a bigger girl with a big top and wide hips. If I don't feel well when I get to that size, I'll try to adjust from there.
  • HillyRose7
    HillyRose7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im not happy with myself at the size i am. (currently 132) I want to get down to 120 because i feel like i will be happier with myself and more confident! I really want to have the famous leg gap. Having my thighs touch makes me so self concious i hate it!
    I just want to be happy with myself...and feel like im good enough for someone.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I base my goal on the very high end of healthy BMI to account for muscularity.
    Further, I am also tracking body fat.
    Both standards have value as we track progress.
  • triumvirclio
    triumvirclio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely NOT BMI which is an outrageous measuring tool. I was 174 and wearing 10's in the past weight loss run. I figure if I go just 10# more into 160 range I should have a nice cushion there. If I went to my "healthy" BMI I would look emaciated.

Same here. BMI says I should weight about 100. I spent my junior year in Rome and was 120 when I got back. With my frame (wrist measures around 6.125 inches), I was incredibly skinny at 120, so I'm using that and an estimated body fat percentage. BMI is a good measure of populations, but not individuals!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    a combination of the BMI's evil numbers, the weight btwn my skinniest when i was entertaining an eating disorder and my heaviest when i was least interested in myself and life.

Mine was pretty much the same as you! Nice to know I'm not alone!
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I based mine on BMI with guidance plus the excellent called the "People's Choice Ideal Weight" calculator, which shows the average weight that other people of your Age, Height, Weight and Gender would describe as their ideal weight.

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Good luck on your journey!
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    I am cutting as long as it takes to get the last pack of the six-pack visible!
  • betterme1291
    Options
    BMI and pictures from mybodygallery lolz :-p. Unfortunately i've never seen myself at a healthy weight so i cant base it off of that
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I based mine on BMI with guidance plus the excellent called the "People's Choice Ideal Weight" calculator, which shows the average weight that other people of your Age, Height, Weight and Gender would describe as their ideal weight.

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Good luck on your journey!

That's really interesting - significantly lower than other calculators I've seen. Do you know anything about how they collected their data?

EDIT: Never mind - I found the link to the page about how they arrived at the number. Thanks for sharing that site!
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I base mine on the weight I was when I first lost weight about 5 years ago, I was happy with that weight, it seemed just right for my height and body frame. Everyone told me how great I looked at that weight. I look at the BMI but I don't like to base my weight on what that size. I think if I went by what BMI says, it would make me look sickly and way too thin.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I based mine on the BMI chart. I wanted to be in the middle of "healthy" which is 10 stone which is a nice round number too :happy:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My age, and what is realistically obtainable for me. I will never be 120 pounds again, nor do I want to be. Just thin enough to be happy and healthy. :smile:
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Threads like this upset me a little. Has no one looked at who is asking here? She's 5'6" and weighs around 116. She's at the lowest weight she can be to fall into the healthy category on BMI.

Sweetie, if you still think you need to be losing weight, please get help.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    my old size 4 jeans