Protein smoothie question....

Options
I would like to list what I put in it this morning and get some feedback from those of you that are knowledgeable. It came out to 640 calories, which really threw me off!!!

Thanks for any input/help/suggestions!!!

Weis - 1% Lowfat Milk, 0.5 Cup (240mL) 50 calories

Blueberries - Frozen, unsweetened, 0.5 cup, unthawed 40 calories

Nature's Best® Perfect® Zero Carb Isopure™ - Creamy Vanilla - Protein Powder, 2 scoopfuls (62g) 210 calories

Manitoba Harvest - Shelled Hemp Seed 2 oz, 1 Tbsp (30g) 80 calories

Fage - Total 0% Greek Strained Yogurt With Blueberry, 1 container 120 calories

Wild Roots - Milled Golden Flax Seed, 1 Tbsp. 30 calories

Shiloh Farms - Chia Seeds, 1 Tbsp 51 calories

Eden Organic - Unrefined Safflower Oil, 0.5 TBSP 60 calories

All blended together in the blender. Not the best tasting thing I've ever had, but far from the worst.

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I buy the large container of greek yogurt so i can put in 1/4 cup and use more milk... though i use unsweetened almond milk which is 35-40 cals for 1 whole cup (lactose intolerant), i also use less fruit -- 1/4 cup of berries versus 1/5 cup and it seems you could choose between which seeds are in there. I use the flax seeds only or chia seeds only, not both together. Also, that IsoPure is my fav but pretty expensive. I keep a more reasonably priced unflavored whey protein powder and use scoops in a 1/1 ratio just to keep 'the good stuff' from running out so quickly.

Since you're having a shake for bfast, I'll have one too for solidarity! :flowerforyou:
  • curryb70
    curryb70 Posts: 2
    Options
    The milk and the yogurt is overkill big time - don't need it with 50g Protein from the Isopure.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    With all that protein powder you probably could skip the Fage greek yogurt. That's 120 calories saved right there! Maybe use fat-free milk not 1%.

Also, I freeze my fruit (bananas and strawberries) so I don't have to add plain ice that waters down the taste.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that I should have just used one scoop of the powder...
    I only used 1% because I bought the wrong kind this time! Normally I use skim.
    I didn't use any ice.
    I didn't really think about the yogurt being overkill...you're probably right...
  • Shannon2714
    Options
    Since you're having a shake for bfast, I'll have one too for solidarity! :flowerforyou:

You already know I love you...you totally kick *kitten* :heart:
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Kale! And I agree skip the dairy :)

My smoothie:
    Kale (about 2 leaves)
    1//2 cup water
    1tbs chia seeds
    1 banana
    1/2 cup other fruit (strawberries & pineapple are favs)

I would like to get some plant protein to add as well and maybe some Dulse (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulse)
    or Maca root powder (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maca_root) I have heard of people adding those and would give a small amount a try.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That would surprise me, too. I have to do a protein smoothie most mornings, because I have a hard time getting enough protein--I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat a lot of meat, and I try o stay away from too much soy b/c of all the unknowns about it acting like estrogen. Anyway, I think part of it might be your portions.
    I use the 4oz single serving cups of Oikos organic Greek yogurt, plain -- 70 calories, 12g protein. That's a 50-calorie saving right there.
    The protein powder I use (which I use because it's the only whey protein I could find from no-added-hormone cows, no added sugars and no artificial sweeteners) is Central Market whey protein powder in natural vanilla -- 1 scoop, 80 calories, 18g protein. There's another 130 calories saved.
    I use about a half cup of almond milk (unsweetened) b/c I prefer the taste/texture over milk -- 20 calories (only 1/2g protein, though). That's another potential 30 calories saved.
    So far we're looking at a 210 calorie difference for the basic smoothie, without the extras. I just use flax oil, which adds 110 calories, and some chai spices. I save the fruit for other meals/snacks where I'll notice and enjoy it more. But I'm working on a 1250 BMR, so that's what works for me.
    BTW, the whole thing fills my drinking glass--maybe 14 oz?
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are great! My favorite includes peanut butter, banana, skim milk , almond milk, and powdered egg whites. FWIW, the beauty of MFP is that you can enter the ingredients before you make the smoothie. This will allow you to change ingredients as necessary to meet all of your nutritional goals - with no surprises.

:)
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    A couple different smoothies I make, keep in mind for me the high calorie amounts are fine, and keeps me sated in the first few hours of work+gym etc and usually through lunch if I need to (and yes I give them stupid names in my recipe book)

Berry Brotein Smoothie

Dried Goji Berries - 1oz/28grams
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk - 2 cups
    Fage Plain Greek Yogurt - 1 cup
    Crytosport Vanilla Whey - 1 Scoop
    Hemp Protein Powder - 3tbsp
    Cold Milled Flax Seed - 2 tbsp

600 cal
    46 carb
    16 fat
    75 protein
    14 fiber

Oh God This Smoothie Might Make Me Vote Democrat

Organic Baby Spinach - 2 cups (or 2 big handfuls, you don't need to be that precise here, it's f*cking spinach)
    Fresh Strawberries, large - 10 of these
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk - 2 Cups
    Crytosport Vanilla Whey - 1 Scoop
    Hemp Protein Powder - 3tbsp
    Raw Chia Seeds - 2 tbsp (can substitute chia powder too)

488 Cal
    37 carb
    20 fat
    51 protein
    19 fiber

For a while I was using this frozen berry blend from Costco made by Nature's Peak along with almond milk as a base and adding whatever else i had on hand or felt like that day. However lately I tend to buy stuff at the local farmers market so rarely touch my frozen stuff.

As for Kale, I try to use it sometimes instead of spinach for nutrition (even though you get more value from it cooked) but no matter what it always tastes like I am drinking liquid plant so its not often.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    As for Kale, I try to use it sometimes instead of spinach for nutrition (even though you get more value from it cooked) but no matter what it always tastes like I am drinking liquid plant so its not often.
    Chris, if you want to add more kale to your diet, I've got a sausage & veggie soup I LOVE -- shoot me a message if you're interested, & I'll send you the recipe.
  • Shannon2714
    Options
    Oh God This Smoothie Might Make Me Vote Democrat

I already vote Democrat....so I will HAVE to try this one!!! :bigsmile:

Thanks for the input and suggestions! I'm going to try some of these and see what I can work out!
  • michellegr88
    Options
    I agree with everyone about skipping the diary.....it blocks absorbtion of some nutrients in the digestive tract ;) You want all the vitamins you can get- have dairy another time :)
    Kale! And I agree skip the dairy :)

My smoothie:
    Kale (about 2 leaves)
    1//2 cup water
    1tbs chia seeds
    1 banana
    1/2 cup other fruit (strawberries & pineapple are favs)

I would like to get some plant protein to add as well and maybe some Dulse (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulse)
    or Maca root powder (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maca_root) I have heard of people adding those and would give a small amount a try.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Chris, if you want to add more kale to your diet, I've got a sausage & veggie soup I LOVE -- shoot me a message if you're interested, & I'll send you the recipe.

Eh nutrient wise I get what kale gives elsewhere. When I want it I just put it in a smoothie and chug it down. When I have a taste for leafy greens I usually go for lettuce, cabbage, spinach etc.