Low calorie, high in Iron.

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for high iron foods? I am severely anemic with my Iron levels sitting at around 7-8 on a good day, I'm already prescribed over 700mg of Iron a day, but it never budges and to be honest I'm fed up of being tired. I'm trying to make a huge over hall to my diet, cutting out all the crap I used to eat and shift my weight. My diary should be open, so if you wanted to look you can.

Of course my question is what are the best foods (that don't get too boring!) to eat with a decent amount of Iron! I know red meat - but my stomach really doesn't deal too well with it for some reason. And unfortunately I'm allergic to most types of fish (cod and scampi are the only things I've found so far I can eat.) If its something both me and Abigail (daughter 7 months old) could both eat, that would be even better!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat cereal is very high in iron - I always have to bump my iron levels up before I donate blood, and if I eat the cereal 3 or 4 times the week prior to donating, my levels are well above their minimum requirement for donors. And your daughter can eat it too! :smile:

My blood center has a list of iron rich foods - hope this helps: http://www.cencalblood.org/IronRichFoods.htm

Edited to add: I just had a bowl of Cream of Wheat - I like to add some plain Greek yogurt and fresh fruit to it for protein & deliciousness. :tongue:
  • brittany17love
    brittany17love Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Spinach works wonders for me. It's just so good for you and gives you a boost of energy. If you are looking for some type of energy I find the zero calorie Arizona Tea with Ginseng works to get me up and moving in the mornings. But Spinach has high amounts of Iron in it (:
  • Teachinjen
    Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Spinach, I eat several cups steamed every day. I am also severely anemic and am actually monitored by a hematologist. My body does not absorb the normal amount of iron most people do. I had been put on iron pills, but those didn't work. I now have to get my iron checked every two months and if my iron counts get too low I actually have to go in for IV iron infusions......I monitor the iron on my diet too, but my hematologist said my body will just not absorb much iron absorbed orally.......Doesn't mean I can't try! The less times a year I have to go in for infusions.....Normally at least twice a year.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods

This page has a list of iron rich foods......
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Found this interesting post about iron and it has a table of iron rich foods. Hope it helps.
    http://www.rebuild-from-depression.com/blog/2010/02/iron_content_in_spinach.html
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/top-10-iron-rich-foods

Make a whole-egg spinach omelet with TONS of spinach.

You'll absorb iron more effectively if you eat it along with foods rich in Vitamin C. So have a half a grapefruit along with that omelet. :)

Another thing I like to do is buy a bunch of cookable greens (beet greens, collard greens, kale, spinach, whatever floats your boat), chop them, cook a cubed chicken breast in a pan or wok, then dump large handfuls of the greens on top and cook them down. Then add garlic (or garlic scapes if you prefer) and whatever else you care to add. The cooked greens are very filling, and have a lot of iron. Asparagus also has a decent amount, as do peas. Brussels sprouts have a little. I think you see a trend - green = likely to have iron.

Also, while it's not terribly high in iron, cinnamon is a decent source. A teaspoon of it adds 5% of recommended daily iron. Use cinnamon more frequently as a spice and it'll help a touch. Pepper also has a little iron in it. So does cumin, garlic, oregano, and a lot of spices. Not a lot, but then again spices tend to be low in calories.
  • Luxxmundi
    Luxxmundi Posts: 52
    Options
    Spinach, I eat several cups steamed every day. I am also severely anemic and am actually monitored by a hematologist. My body does not absorb the normal amount of iron most people do. I had been put on iron pills, but those didn't work. I now have to get my iron checked every two months and if my iron counts get too low I actually have to go in for IV iron infusions......I monitor the iron on my diet too, but my hematologist said my body will just not absorb much iron absorbed orally.......Doesn't mean I can't try! The less times a year I have to go in for infusions.....Normally at least twice a year.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods

This page has a list of iron rich foods......

Thank you, I'm pretty much getting to this point, and had to have an infusion about 5 months ago, and will be due another one soon. I've always been told I have trouble absorbing iron, but its starting to affect my work life, and I'm fed up of all these pills so want to try and adjust my diet.

I never really eat spinach, is it true if you put it into a smoothie you can't really taste it?

Thank you all for your suggestions, will definitely read them all.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I monitor the iron on my diet too, but my hematologist said my body will just not absorb much iron absorbed orally.......Doesn't mean I can't try! The less times a year I have to go in for infusions.....Normally at least twice a year.

Has your hematologist mentioned eating foods high in Vitamin C in conjunction with your iron to assist in absorption?

Even a little orange or lemon juice concentrate in your spinach can help, supposedly. I doubt it could hurt.
  • Teachinjen
    Options
    I've tried everything, my body just doesn't absorb it....Just frustrating!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying to medicate through diet change.

The posts mentioning vitamin C are right on. A friend's mother has anemia and was trying to take in more iron through food. She saw no improvement until she upped her vitamin C intake as well. She also gave up soda and coffee.

Bell peppers are an outstanding source of C. They are so yummy raw. Try a spinach salad with cut up bell peppers and some delicious ranch or bacon dressing -- yes, those are both high calorie, but they make spinach a treat. Dress just enough to bring out the taste.

Beans and lentils are also high in iron.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have to watch iron too (and also take tablets). Here's a list of high iron foods:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/top-10-iron-rich-foods

They note that eating iron rich foods with foods high in Vitamin C aids iron uptake.

I personally have gotten into beets (bake them in a crock pot and eat them plain - it's my kids' favorite food). Then take the greens and boil them.

I also just ate beet greens with my egg salad for lunch instead of lettuce.
  • TracySchroeder
    Options
    "ITeachinjen~~ I've tried everything, my body just doesn't absorb it....Just frustrating!"

Has your hematologist suggested further testing? My number was down to a 3, and it would not go up. I was doing straight, 5 hour iron infusions and nothing helped. I was close to being hospitalized due to the number decreasing. This went on for a while--over a couple of years. He finally sent me to have an upper and lower GI. I was found to have a very severe hiatal hernia and in turn was causing extreme internal bleeding. I had it repaired last month. My numbers have finally started to rise~~not where they should be, but it's the first time there's been a rise in my numbers!! I can even make it through the day without napping--which is a miracle!!! It's very frustrating to want to lose weight, but with the iron thing I have no energy!!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    have you been tested for celiac? The damage to the lining of the intestine can prevent nutrient absorption. It can also cause extreme fatigue. I would have your doctor test for this, but don't cut out gluten beforehand if you want proper results from the blood test.
  • Luxxmundi
    Luxxmundi Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm actually waiting for blood test results at the moment, one of them being for gluten intolerance. I love beets and didn't know they were high in iron, so thats a bonus!

Definitely will take note of improving my vit C, its not amazing at the moment, and I make an effort not to drink coffee when I take my tablets, but I feel like I'm going around in circles sometimes - I'm too tired to work without drinking coffee, but coffee affects my absorption. >.<
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I never really eat spinach, is it true if you put it into a smoothie you can't really taste it?
    Yes! Sounded crazy, but saw so many people saying you couldn't taste the spinach that I finally tried it. I put great big handfuls of it into my fruit smoothies and the are a lovely green shade, but only taste like fruit. Try it!
  • Teachinjen
    Options
    I will try that.....Thanks! They never went into further testing, I should ask them to!