Would this be considered moderate or heavy exercise?

Options
So, I go to the gym 4-5 days a week, but I'm usually there for a couple of hours each time.

I usually burn between 1000-1200 cals a go each time too, standard stronglifts 3x a week.

My cardio is usually a 5km run in about 35 mins, then 35 on the treadmill and 35 on the bike.

I'm trying to figure out which level activity when it comes to working out my TDEE and whatnot.

All up I do about 8-10 hours a week, but not all of it is strenuous which is why I'm asking the question.

Help please, haha

Replies

• dellieve
    dellieve Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    If were you I would figure out what my activity level was BEFORE exercise, and use that to set your TDEE. Then log all your exercise separately using the Exercise Tracker to calculate how many extra calories you have have on any particular day. Much more accurate.
  • dellieve
    Options
    That's easy, I have a desk job so I'm easily sedentry, but the main reason why I wanted to do it this way would be to eat a normal amount every day, instead of having to eat back my exercise cals (which on days I'm really bored I can burn over 2k at the gym).

Seems more viable to average it, but I may have to work out an average based on that
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Can you work out your TDEE for moderate and heavy - then go bang in the middle?? If you think it's between the two, then that probably would give you a more realistic number? Not sure if that works with the mathmatics behind the numbers though.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    That's easy, I have a desk job so I'm easily sedentry, but the main reason why I wanted to do it this way would be to eat a normal amount every day, instead of having to eat back my exercise cals (which on days I'm really bored I can burn over 2k at the gym).

Seems more viable to average it, but I may have to work out an average based on that

Would it be easier to look at your average over the week, rather than day to day?
  • dellieve
    Options
    Actually yea, I never thought of averaging it over the week actually. I usually come close to 5k every week burnt at the gym, so I could do sedentry TDEE x7 then add the 5k, then divide it back by 7 to work out an average TDEE over the week.

I'll try that out for a bit, and see if that works for me.
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just found this, and it looks like the best explanation I've seen so far:

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee
  • dellieve
    Options
    Thanks heaps, that site explains it better than any i've been to. Cheers mate.