Screwed my metabolism up

Alright, I need some advice. My ED has completely screwed my metabolism up. I maintain eating 300 calories a day. I maintain at 500. I maintain at 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and over 2000.

I'm stuck and not really sure where to go from here. I do have weight to lose as I'm about 25 pounds overweight at the moment. I'm feeling good this week as far as ED thoughts go and want to start the 30DS. I'm hoping to lose weight, but more importantly rebuild all the muscle I lost.

I'm 5'8'' and 185 pounds. What would you do? Level out at ??? calories for a while and see if your metabolism picks up again?

Replies

• zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Very interested to hear responses to this! Good luck!
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    great job on trying to overcome your problems! I personally think right now you should try your best to meet 1200 a day since obviously you have issues doing that. I would set goal for 1300 since everyone (no idea why) tries to eat under daily goal. So set for 1300 and aim for 1200 and you will have a little wiggle room. As you start to build metabolism back you can up your calories. But be sure to workout also so that it will balance out and to eat good choices. Thats the only way to properly lose and build muscle
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Eat 2000 calories per day for a whole year - maintain.
    Eat normal.
    Exercise both cardio and resistance - eat back all your exercise calories.
    Do this for a year. Do not lose a pound.
    Maintain.
    After a year with no ED episodes, then let's talk weight loss.
    If any ED issues crop up like binging and purging, the clock is reset to ZERO!
    The year starts over.
    Here's the deal. If you're struggling with ED, nothing else matters. The last thing you need is fooling around MFP obsessing over weight.
    End of story.
    Good Luck!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    I'd go see a doctor, get a full workup to see what your metabolism is doing, then get a referral to see a nutritionist.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    I don't know all the details here but obviously eating 300 calories a day is very bad. You mentioned that as you increased calories that you weren't seeing a change either. I'm assuming that your body has been deprived of proper nutrients and you didn't mention how long you allowed your body to stabilize.

My suggestion would be to use a TDEE calculator to figure out how many calories your body is burning per day. Subtract 500 calories from that in order to lose 1 lbs per week.
  • issieGC
    issieGC Posts: 4 Member
    I can't view your diary so I don't know how you're eating or what you're eating- remember quality not quantity! but some tips for a speedier metabolism - eat breakfast! And then fuel your body with small frequent meals throughout the day. I've heard certain foods can also give you that metabolism boost - raw fresh grapefruits & green tea.
    Also your rebuilding muscle idea sounds good as everyone knows muscle burns fat so get lifting! But make sure you consume a high amount of protein after (obviously) phd diet whey is really nice :p Goodluck !
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    By all means get your physician on board and follow up with a nutritionist. You may also consider working with a personal trainer to learn how to exercise correctly in order to re-build lost muscle mass. The trainer could also help you build your cardio strength to improve your endurance/stamina...but not until you see a doctor first.

I've never dealt with an ED, but I have for years cycled through losing and gaining weight over and over again. When I was pretty young (8 or 9 years old), my parents put me on an incredibly restrictive diet, which we now know is the source of my metabolism being severely affected (genetics is a factor also). As I've gotten older, it has become more and more difficult to get weight off. I have spent most of the past year focused on strength training to build and re-build lost muscle mass (with my doctor's blessing). I have not lost very many pounds, but I have lost enough inches for me to go down one-and-a-half sizes in clothes. It's only been in the last month or two that the pounds have begun coming off. The doctor explained that as I increased muscle, my metabolism would increase, but it would not do so quickly or all at once. She said it would be mostly gradual, with peaks and valleys along the way.

I wish you success as you work to achieve your goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    You cant build muscle and cut fat. They are two different approaches. Also skip 30ds it wont do anything good for you as its too cardio based and cant lead to more muscle loss if you dont eat enough. You need a program that is focused on weight training and lots of it. This way you can retain your muscle. I do agree with bobby that you should concentrate on eating more and get your nutrtion in check before you start weight loss as weight loss can cause you to obsess again. I will note the one girl i work with that had an Ed is eating 2000 and does really heavy weight training. She is doing strong lift 5x5.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Eat normal.
    Maintain.
    The year starts over.
    Here's the deal. If you're struggling with ED, nothing else matters. The last thing you need is fooling around MFP obsessing over weight.
    End of story.
    Good Luck!

What he said. Or your doctor says.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Eat normal.
    Maintain.
    The year starts over.
    End of story.
    Good Luck!

Oh God, my psychologist would just love you, Bobby. :) The thought of maintaining on purpose makes me want to crawl in a hole though. I'm chalking up a week at 1200 calories a big success from the past few months. You're right...Logical me knows you're right... I'll keep working on it though and doing the next best thing for me.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Eat normal.
    Maintain.
    The year starts over.
    End of story.
    Good Luck!

I'll never forget that, thank you. I think that's good advice, hard as it might be to follow.
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    I'd go see a doctor, get a full workup to see what your metabolism is doing, then get a referral to see a nutritionist.

I completely agree with this comment. Since you have issues with eating disorders, you need to proceed with knowledge of where your body is now -the "damage control"- and the help of a nutritionist and trainer to help you be healthy and achieve your weight goals. Good luck!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Eat normal.
    Maintain.
    The year starts over.
    End of story.
    Good Luck!

Oh God, my psychologist would just love you, Bobby. :) The thought of maintaining on purpose makes me want to crawl in a hole though. I'm chalking up a week at 1200 calories a big success from the past few months. You're right...Logical me knows you're right... I'll keep working on it though and doing the next best thing for me.

Look at it this way. You say you maintain at any intake from 300-2000. If so, you're not going to gain at 2000. Eat 2000. Or 1800 or 1500 or whatever you can manage. Dieting won't help anything. :flowerforyou:
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    I'm not a professional or anything, but your final goal weight of 118 pounds for someone who is 5'8" is very light. I think it should be somewhere in around 135. Your frame could play a big factor as well, however, I think you should set yourself a realistic goal so you're not getting yourself unhealthy.
    I'm 5'8" and my goal is 150-160.
    Best of luck to you
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Coming from an ED myself, I know how frustrating it can be when you finally want to lose weight in a healthy manner, and your body goes and does the exact opposite. I also know that asking you to eat 2000 daily would be a real struggle at this time. You said you did a week at 1200 a day. That's awesome! Lets see if you can do a second week at that, or even better, add 50 calories so now you do a week at 1250 a day. Make sure you are getting in all of your water, and that you are taking vitamins (think multi, omegas, vit d, and calcium...maybe iron as well since you've been restricting) to help get your vit and min levels up higher. Your body is going to hold on to everything right now, as it thinks you are going to starve at any minute. Once you build the habit of eating regularly though, your body will start letting go again. I would try to have your doctor follow you while you do this, or maybe see a nutritionist who can monitor you/guide you. I wish I had continued to see my nutritionist years ago, as I think in the long run it would have helped me out significantly. Good luck!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    great job on trying to overcome your problems! I personally think right now you should try your best to meet 1200 a day since obviously you have issues doing that. I would set goal for 1300 since everyone (no idea why) tries to eat under daily goal. So set for 1300 and aim for 1200 and you will have a little wiggle room. As you start to build metabolism back you can up your calories. But be sure to workout also so that it will balance out and to eat good choices. Thats the only way to properly lose and build muscle
    This sounds like a good plan for you!
  • slade37
    slade37 Posts: 23 Member
    remember that food intake is only 70 percent of the equation. Try to eat 12 times your desired body weight and add 30 minutes of cardio excercise 5 days a week and 3 days of resistance training at 45 percent of your max for 2 sets of 12 3 times a week.

THAT will restart your metabolism. It took me 6 weeks, but I had done so many 'diets" that my body was confused. I used this simple formula I read in red book, stuck with it and I have been making progress towards my goal.

I tried the lwo calorie and P90X too. The best plan is the one Ive outlined. For me.

Try it
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Coming from an ED myself, I know how frustrating it can be when you finally want to lose weight in a healthy manner, and your body goes and does the exact opposite. I also know that asking you to eat 2000 daily would be a real struggle at this time. You said you did a week at 1200 a day. That's awesome! Lets see if you can do a second week at that, or even better, add 50 calories so now you do a week at 1250 a day. Make sure you are getting in all of your water, and that you are taking vitamins (think multi, omegas, vit d, and calcium...maybe iron as well since you've been restricting) to help get your vit and min levels up higher. Your body is going to hold on to everything right now, as it thinks you are going to starve at any minute. Once you build the habit of eating regularly though, your body will start letting go again. I would try to have your doctor follow you while you do this, or maybe see a nutritionist who can monitor you/guide you. I wish I had continued to see my nutritionist years ago, as I think in the long run it would have helped me out significantly. Good luck!

While Bobby's advice was good, this is probably a better way to go about it so your mental battle isn't as difficult (2000 vs. a gradual increase). I also highly support you involving the professionals in your life (doctors/nutritionists) to help you stay healthy. :)<3

Good luck to you and good for you for making progress! Remember you can only fail when you stop trying, so as long as you keep trying you're golden. :)
  • eidnahenri
    eidnahenri Posts: 16
    I'm not a professional or anything, but your final goal weight of 118 pounds for someone who is 5'8" is very light. I think it should be somewhere in around 135. Your frame could play a big factor as well, however, I think you should set yourself a realistic goal so you're not getting yourself unhealthy.
    I'm 5'8" and my goal is 150-160.
    Best of luck to you
    I was thinking the same thing, but you said it much better than I could have.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Where did this myth of breaking your metabolism originate? Form and function people, The metabolism is the rate at which the body breaks down energy and converts it into ATP.

This is a biological function of the body. Break it and you have no energy, how do you keep your body alive when you sleep if you have no metabolism to produce ATP?