30 DS

Options
I started the 30 DS today, and I gotta say I loved it. I was sweating pretty hard by the time I was finished! It's not a huge calorie burn though (I burned 254), so I'm thinking of combining it with my gym routine. Is that overkill? I'm hoping the program will help me in the tummy area (my least fav area). I love those punches and crunches

Replies

• ashleymichaud
    Options
    What is your gym routine like?
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I do about an hour of cardio, either treadmill, elliptical, or bike, and about 20-30 min of free weights
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Just recently I had started doing Week 3 of Ripped in 30 since there are fewer calories burned I've been doing another routine of Killer Buns & Thighs to up the ante.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Use 30ds for your cardio and concentrate on weight training at the gym. Look to do a program like Strong Lift 5x5. This will help increase fat loss. Just make sure you eat enough calories to fuel your body.
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    If you can handle it, that doesn't sound like too much. The only thing I would say if you wanted to cut anything would be to maybe cut down cardio a little. Maybe instead of an hour do 30 ds which is about 28 minutes with stretching and warm up and then cardio until its been an hour.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I'd cut back to doing the gym routine for 30mins and 30 day shred for thirty minutes. Gym routine shouldn't be about the length but how well you are doing the exercises and what you are doing. I feel you could really vamp it up and get a great work out for 30 mins instead of 60mins which I feel would be overkill for anyone.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I do about an hour of cardio, either treadmill, elliptical, or bike, and about 20-30 min of free weights

I don't recommend pairing an extra hour and 30 minutes on top of the Shred. It's too much in my opinion. If you want to burn some extra calories, add a 20 minute walk or increase your 'activity level' with those old tricks: parking further away from your destination, taking the stairs. If you want to add extra calorie burn AND strength training, try 20 minutes of yoga. :)
  • halliedoll
    halliedoll Posts: 171
    Options
    Hey there! I just completed day 6 today of 30DS. The amount of calories you burn depends on your weight and heart rate. I look up my calories burned for 30ds here :

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Also, I am doing 30DS in the mornings and running after work at night. I dont think its overkill. Just be careful the first 3 days because your legs will be really sore if you're doing everything properly. Also, it is imperative to keep hydrated. After I do 30DS I drink 2 botlles of water because im just that thirsty. I know that after the work out I am pouring sweat! And you're right, it may not be a singificant amount of calories, but every calorie counts..and the fact that your sweating so much is a major plus because it strips the body of excess water, sugars and fats.

Keep up the good work! Let me know if you have any questions or just need motivation! :]
  • halliedoll
    halliedoll Posts: 171
    Options
    Btw, thats alot of calories to burn in just 20 minutes if you really think about it :]
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been hopping on the elliptical or going for a walk/run after 30 DS, just for about 25 minutes to add more calorie burn.