What's your favorite hummus recipe?

Options

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Whizz up a can of chickpeas and garlic in the food processor, add a tablespoon of tahini, a tiny bit of oil, and whizz again. Then I add sweet chilli sauce :)
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I make a basic hummus with a can of chickpeas, garlic, parsley, cumin and lemon juice. My favourite things to add are some feta (the kind in oil and herbs) or sundried tomatoes. I had to stop making the one with sundried tomatoes cause I would just eat the whole batch in one day!
  • devster71
    devster71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend not using canned chickpeas. Start with dried peas and let them soak overnight, in the morning set up a crockpot and let them cook all day. With a one pound bag of peas I'll only use 2 tablespoons olive oil and the cooking liquid to get the desired consistency. BTW use peanut butter or couple dashes of sesame seed oil to get that nutty flavor. As for flavor enhancers be creative.
  • YamRector
    YamRector Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • agh89
    agh89 Posts: 1
    Options
    1 can garbanzo beans
    2 large bunches cilantro (more if you want)
    2 cloves garlic
    2-3 T olive oli
    zest of 1 lime
    Juice of 1 lime ( more if you want)
    1 t cayenne pepper
    blend it all up
  • 19steph88
    19steph88 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Have you tried beetroot hummus? Great colour too!

Blend a tin of chickpeas, some garlic, a tablespoon of tahini and 3 beetroot (cooked and peeled).

Yum!
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    I just tried this today~I was HOPING it would be good and it is delicious!

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2012/06/garlic-zucchini-hummus-and-cinnamon.html

**I tried the garlic/zucchini--no chickpeas.
  • bhancock1980
    bhancock1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Prepare how you normally would and add a roasted red pepper and caramelized garlic.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like it very simple and traditional, not too thick, and blended VERY smooth with LOTS of extra fresh lemon juice. Some amazing extra virgin olive oil drizzled on top. Hot sauce and cilantro are good additions, but I hate it with cumin. I'm gluten-free so I usually just eat it with red pepper and cucumber slices.

The Trader Joe's varieties have added sugar, which creeps me out...
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend not using canned chickpeas. Start with dried peas and let them soak overnight, in the morning set up a crockpot and let them cook all day.
    I started doing this and haven't used the canned beans in a long time. I've found that 3 hours in the crockpot is enough to soften up the beans. I'll cook up a bunch of beans, portion into small sizes and freeze them so I always have some handy for making hummus.

The downside to cooking the dry beans is dealing with the hulls (clear outer casing). If you put the cooked beans in water the hulls come to the top and you skim them off. You can blend the chick peas with the hulls still on, probably more fiber. If you remove the hulls the finished hummus has a smooth texture. The beans in the can are clean - the hulls have been removed by a machine.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus. Your basic Hummus recipe (any of the ones given on the other responses) roast your bell pepper in the oven by wrapping in foil and letting it sit in the oven for a few minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool a bit. Rub the skin off with a napkin being very careful, as it is still hot. Chop and puree and mix in the already aforementioned hummus. It's delicious. And if you like basil, try a sun dried tomato and basil.
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Adding a roasted sweet potato makes the most divine hummus! I like it with curry powder too.
  • castle88
    castle88 Posts: 27
    Options
    mmmm love hummus! Bumping this - gonna have to try the roasted red pepper idea!

I like to add a drizzle of honey/agave nectar to mine, its surprisingly good :)
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Roast a head of garlic and squeeze the "innards" from the cloves into any basic hummus recipe. So Good!
  • Shannafo
    Shannafo Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    love hummus can't wait to try these!! Thanks!!
  • girlznme
    girlznme Posts: 28
    Options
    Bump