Boca Burgers

Options
Okay, so I am trying to find a low cal alternative to hamburger patties. We recently tried Garden Burgers and HATED them! We couldn't get past the texture or taste. I had a boca burger patty at Red Robin recently, but it was chopped up with chili and served over fries (which was killer, btw, highly recommend it!). So I haven't tried it just by itself. Is it more meat-like in texture and taste than gardenburger?

Replies

• dawnemery
    Options
    YES!!! Boca burgers are really good. They are the only meatless patties I will eat. Their texture really is allot more like meat than any other meatless burger I have tried. Have you had turkey burgers? They are good too.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have tried Boca Burgers and they aren't bad. I personally go for Morningstar veggie burgers--I think they are really good. Typically the spicy black bean and the garden burger. You find these in the frozen food area. I don't really think any of them taste like meat, but they are satisfying. I think Garden burgers are terrible too.....ick!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Boca Burger's black bean burger is really good. That is my favorite. If you like mushrooms, you can always grill a portabella mushroom after marinating it. Or you could look into turkey patties which has less calories than beef.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I LOVE Amy's California Veggie Burgers. They taste great, they are organic, and no GMO's and chemicals.
  • jandie
    jandie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like the Boca Black Bean Burger but my favorite is Amy's Texas BBQ Burger. I've put it on the Weber or gas grill and they get that smokey flavor, too. SO GOOD!

297898.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • jessicasager
    Options
    i LOVE LOVE LOVE boca burgers. i really like the ones that are supposed to taste "grilled" they're amazing. i'm not big on hamburger period, but these are really good. i eat ground turkey too. turkey burgers, turkey helper, turkey chili.. all kinds of ground turkey. try that!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Morningstar Farms products here. I hate Boca and Gardenburger (previously veggie for 4 years).

But, also, there is such a thing as 96% lean ground beef. Mince some onions & throw it in there with them & it keeps them more moist. 130 calories for a 1/4 pound burger (and since it's 96% lean, a 1/4 pound cooks up much larger than any fast food 1/4 pounder :wink:). Most veggie burgers are 110-150 calories and certainly most of them don't weigh 4oz each so you're actually getting more food (and less preservatives) with the beef.

edit for typo
  • falloutgal58
    Options
    I really like Dr. Praeger's veggie burgers. They have a few different flavors to choose from. My fav is the California burger.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    the veggie burgers by money's mushrooms are freakin AWESOME. They're a little hard to find, however. They may only be available in Canada :(
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Burger King's veggie burger, i belive it the MorningStar brand.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't. I've been trying to stay away from fast food, and I've never really liked Burger King. Why can't they build a Jack In The Box near me?! Not that they have anything healthy, lol.
    I was just wondering if Boca was better tasting/texture than Gardenburger, because I would like to make cheeseburger wraps one night (chopped "meat" of some kind, like hamburger, with shredded cheese, and some rice, in a whole grain wrap).
  • sdgnyc
    Options
    I like Yves veggie ground round. It's VERY low in calories and high in protein. I use it to make chili and it's delicious. I bet it would be perfect for your wraps. Use it like you would ground beef. (You can find it in health food grocery stores.)
  • awbower76
    awbower76 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Both Boca and Morningstar make a ground beef equivalent that I think is pretty good as far as texture. They don't have much flavor- they take on the flavor of whatever you're cooking it with.

As far as burgers- The Boca Flame Grilled taste the most like beef, I believe.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Morning star is awesome. If you're looking for something to replace ground beef, you can go to any BIG grocery store and buy "TVP." Tvp is textured vegetable protein. Its a soy product that is made as a byproduct of industrial tofu making. Any place that has a big veggie friendly section should have it.

Its cheap, about 2$ for a bag which ends up being about the same as 3lbs of ground beef.
    You take a cup of it, then mix in a cup of liquid (any liquid - water, soy sauce, v8, anything) to reconstitute it, and then use it like ground beef. Nice and quick.

Here's the wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein

I recommend this way over any prepackaged crumbles. Its cheaper, you get more, and you can flavor it however you want. I use it in hamburger helper, to make sloppy joes, etc.

If you like cooking, you can also make your own veggie burgers. Less sodium, though slightly higher calorie.
    This is the best recipe I've found thus far:
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9448?section=
  • jandie
    jandie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know you were asking about hamburger alternatives, but I tried the Morning Star Grillers Chik'n on my salad tonight and it was delicious! It only has 80 calories, 3 fat (no saturated fat), 350 sodium, 7 carbs, and 9 protein.

It was so good I think I'll have another for lunch tomorrow!

Janet

297898.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Hey, good to know! Maybe I will use those to make some orange chicken stir fry :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Amy's burgers are the best!! Although I also eat Boca, Quorn, and Morningstar. I love to warm a frozen burger with pam, while I make a big salad. Cut up the burger and throw it on the salad and omg...what a delicious, filling meal!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone & let you know how my cheeseburger wraps turned out.

THEY'RE AMAZING!!

Hubby isn't so keen on them. They turned out candy sweet for some reason. I think it was the sweet onions & cheese. I carmelized the onions on our George Foreman grill, and melted a little velveeta in the microwave. I spread the velveeta across 2 flat out flatbreads, ground up the boca patties (which I also cooked on the GF). Topped with sweet onions, tomatoes, a little ketchup & mustard, some pickles, and a mountain of lettuce.

I hope hubby will let me make them again. They are so good! They are less than 500 calories per wrap, which is great for anyone that normally has very high caloric dinners. The only bad part is they are terribly high in sodium.

Why does sodium usually equal deliciousness?
  • wallerinaprincess
    Options
    I eat Boca Burgers almost every night for dinner. HIgh in protien, low in fat, and high in fiber, what more could ya ask for right?! But yes the texture and taste is AWFUL. There are new ones out made by Morningstar that are flavored. Mushrooms are my fave food, and they have one made mostly of mushrooms. They also have other flavors like tomato basil. Try their other stuff too! They even have meatless chicken wings! I have recently been eating the plain Boca Burgers lately because they have big economy boxes. My boyfriend eats 3 or more of them a day, so a small box of 4 only lasts us one day, lol. Also, the fiber in them keeps us both regular. :-P
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I REALLY like the morningstar farms spicy black bean burgers. I warm them up with a reduced fat slice of cheese, spread a tablespoon of light thousand island on, and put it between two pieces of toasted wheat bread. Delicious and filling. If you have the room to add a few extra calories, put the burger between two slices of texas toast (do they have Texas toast anywhere else besides Texas? I don't know. Maybe they call it something else. The thick white bread)...soooo good.