18 with a new outlook on life.

Options
Hey everyone!

I've had this site's app for a month or two now, and let me just say that pressing that little download button on my iPod was one of the best decisions I've made in my short life.

You see, I come from a family where obesity runs rampant. You eat when you're bored, you eat when you're sad, you eat whatever makes you feel good. I was never taught portion control, or what is healthy and what isn't. I had general knowledge from classes when I was little, but I still ignored it.

I've always been disgusted with my size, so much so that I have been close to an eating disorder (I couldn't, as Mother always made sure I was well fed), but for some reason it never occurred to me all those time staring in the mirror that I was certainly able to do something about it. I don't know how exactly it happened, but one day I woke up. I realized it would take quite a bit of work and time getting used to it, but I realized it was up to me if I shed the baggage or went on to be like my mother with extreme Diabetes that I leave unchecked, or like my father with terrible cholesterol and skin that stayed blood red 24/7. I began to ask for little changes like sea salt and wheat bread, and at the dinner table I asked for a smaller plate of food rather than the tray I was used to.

That's where problem started.

Mom and Dad hated it. They thought I was trying to please a boy, or that I was being made fun of and letting it get to me. (I was, of course, but the jabs and poorly constructed puns stopped bothering me long ago.) They kept piling up my plate, and when I stopped finishing a plate despite my hunger (It takes a while to get used to smaller plates.) they looked at me as if I were the most disappointing child in the world.

One day at school, I was venting my concern to a friend. The two people I looked most to wanted me to remain overweight. At that point, I was already prepared to give up. She told me that her mom uses this site, and began supporting me whenever she could while we were together in class. I then realized I could look to my friends.

I started out at 275 lbs.

I'm down to 246. That's a total loss of almost 30 lbs.

I feel so much better now. I'm still overweight, but I'm wearing pants from three years ago.

Wow, this ended up being a lot longer than I originally intended.. I guess I needed to get that off my chest. xD

Now my sister is dieting with me. She's experienced with weight loss, and is helping me stay on track. The only problem is, we both work and our schedules usually conflict, and she isn't always here when something is tempting me or I need to work out.

Well, that was fun. Hope you guys like me! :)

Replies

• ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you! The moment you wake up and realize that *you* are the one in control of your future, everything changes. (Because this principle applies in more areas than just weight!)

And I assume since you are 18, you will be leaving home soon, so at that point you can choose what goes in your fridge and nobody will be piling unhealthy foods onto your plate. That will make things easier.

At some point you realize that you can love your parents without having to agree with everything they say or do. It's one of the hallmarks of adulthood, and it sounds like you're there!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far, and good luck with the rest.
  • QuietImperfections
    QuietImperfections Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your current weightloss and of course we like you :flowerforyou:
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Wow, aren't parents supposed to encourage you, especially if it's to lead a more healthy lifestyle?? Shameful.

Glad you stuck to your guns and congratulations on your weight loss! Keep it up. We're all here to support you! <3
  • laymon23
    laymon23 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had/have similar parents (although I haven't lived with mine for some time)

My Mum deep fried everything and the only time I got healthy food was when SHE wanted to lose weight, I wasn't overweight back then so I guess she looked at me and didn't feel the need to feed me healthy food. I totally feel your pain.

Well done on your weight loss so far, you're doing a fantastic job! It's not easy when there are people in your life not supporting you
  • ClariNevermore
    Options
    Wow, aren't parents supposed to encourage you, especially if it's to lead a more healthy lifestyle?? Shameful.

Glad you stuck to your guns and congratulations on your weight loss! Keep it up. We're all here to support you! <3

That's what I thought. But I know what being bitter does to a person, so I forgive them. They're only trying to show their love. :) Thanks. I like that phrase... though I pictured myself trying to wave off a gun that had been super glued to my palm. xD
  • ClariNevermore
    Options
    I had/have similar parents (although I haven't lived with mine for some time)

My Mum deep fried everything and the only time I got healthy food was when SHE wanted to lose weight, I wasn't overweight back then so I guess she looked at me and didn't feel the need to feed me healthy food. I totally feel your pain.

Well done on your weight loss so far, you're doing a fantastic job! It's not easy when there are people in your life not supporting you

Oh wow. I shudder at the thought of all that oil. ._.

Thanks. It's tough but so far I'm doing well. Sometimes I think they were working against me.. never had I been bought so much fast food and milkshakes as when I first began my diet.
  • ClariNevermore
    Options
    Congrats on your current weightloss and of course we like you :flowerforyou:

Aw, thank you. :)
  • jdruiz89
    jdruiz89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was sort of raised like you as well. Mine had the mentality of we have been poor and you can have what you want. Be sure if you get what you want that you finish the entire plate. There was no limit on portions, types of food, or the time we ate. My parents usually worked evenings and graveyard so "normal" people hours wasn't in the picture. I will say it is hard to overcome their power with them being set in their "ways".

I am like like you and started slowly changing and with me changing myself they started changing as well. Good luck to you and that is awesome to hear that you were able to overcome the "negatives".

*I may have used some suggestive terms to describe people but that is best fit names I could think since I think of mine that way.*
  • ClariNevermore
    Options
    I was sort of raised like you as well. Mine had the mentality of we have been poor and you can have what you want. Be sure if you get what you want that you finish the entire plate. There was no limit on portions, types of food, or the time we ate. My parents usually worked evenings and graveyard so "normal" people hours wasn't in the picture. I will say it is hard to overcome their power with them being set in their "ways".

I am like like you and started slowly changing and with me changing myself they started changing as well. Good luck to you and that is awesome to hear that you were able to overcome the "negatives".

*I may have used some suggestive terms to describe people but that is best fit names I could think since I think of mine that way.*

Mine are that way too! Dad always insisted I finish my plate, and if I wanted one more mushroom before finishing but still had a side of potato left, I had to clean the entire plate before i could get more. (Though I've heard his story behind that rule and I honestly don't blame him)

Thanks for reading, by the way.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My sister and I were just talking about the "clean your plate" rule. I don't make my children clean their plates anymore. I am trying to help my daughters make good choices about the food they eat.

I grew up in an Italian family and all activities revolve around food. Food is served all the time for any occasion. Trying to get past that has been hard for me.

Congrats on your weight loss, and extra congrats for your attitude! It takes a lot to get past negativity and you made that step!
  • ClariNevermore
    Options
    My sister and I were just talking about the "clean your plate" rule. I don't make my children clean their plates anymore. I am trying to help my daughters make good choices about the food they eat.

I grew up in an Italian family and all activities revolve around food. Food is served all the time for any occasion. Trying to get past that has been hard for me.

Congrats on your weight loss, and extra congrats for your attitude! It takes a lot to get past negativity and you made that step!

Thank you! As I said, I'm a bit too used to negativity. Sometimes I wonder why I'm not a bitter old hag...

If I have kids, I won't make them follow the rule but I will tell them the story dad told me. He had a cousin that came to visit one Thanksgiving. That part of the family was rather well off, while Dad's were impoverished and worked their butts off to make enough money to feed their family of eight. The cousin sat down witha plate full of food, only ate a few bites of one thing, then asked for more. Not just of what they had eaten, but of everything else too. Most of which they hadn't even touched.

The image disgusted both of us, apparently. So I always finished my food so I didn't waste any.
  • ColeAlanna
    ColeAlanna Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello. Obesity runs in my family too. I find it hard to control what I eat, when everyone else in the house eats anything that they want to eat. Do you have any suggestions? Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • ClariNevermore
    Options
    Hello. Obesity runs in my family too. I find it hard to control what I eat, when everyone else in the house eats anything that they want to eat. Do you have any suggestions? Congrats on your weight loss so far!

Well, what I did is I ate what they ate, but following the suggested serving size on the side or back of the box. If something said one half, I ate one half. Before or after, I would drink a ton of water. Water has been the key for me, really. It helps your body flush impurities from your system so they don't stick around too long, and it helps you feel full. If water doesn't help, go to your local Walmart or other grocery store and buy a cheap baggie of vegetables and eat as much of that as you want with whatever your family is eating for that particular meal. That way you're still eating whatever you want while keeping to your diet!

Also, it helps if you go exercising whenever you can. That doesn't have to mean a 30 day shred or a gym membership. If you're as out of shape as I was, I suggest going walking with your most hyperactive friend or relative that's old enough to stick with you but walk quickly. (Children like to run away. :p)

I hope that helps some. If you have any more questions or need any clarifications, feel free to request or message me. :)
  • phluffmuffin
    Options
    I just wanted to say that that's awesome and you're amazing! Having to learn those food lessons on your own is tough but SO worth it when you feel great.
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yay! Congrats on doing what you know is right and what makes you feel good, and making progress doing so. :)

Our cuisine is fattening on its own so I was fortunate enough to have a mom who prevented soda, chips etc from entering the home (minus barbeques or parties). But I always snuck them to/from school and no one ever stopped me from having second helpings of so-bad-for-you,but-so-good rice and meat.

And I get what you mean by, "one day you just realized." My family makes it KNOWN when you gain a pound but I guess here in the US I'm not really bothered by it, since overweight is the norm and small sizes sell out anyway. Now the big sizes sell out and I don't recognize myself. so again Congratulations and we're here to add millions of other faces you can turn to, too! :)
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are doing awesome! I really respect you and your decision and I'm so sorry your parents don't support you. Hopefully they will come around. You are doing a wonderful thing for your health and happiness. Great work, you're amazing.