30 day shred rest?????

it states 30 day shred but surely your body needs time to recover if ur building muscle. muscles need time to repair and grow would it not be best to do the shred and do a day or two rest then shred again and so on ?

Replies

• listlife
    listlife Posts: 30
    You absolutely need at least one rest day a week. I started 30ds a week ago. Worked out for three days straight, everything hurt, then I gave myself a rest day. It was great because when I went to work out the next day, only my quads hurt a tiny bit but nothing else did. My endurance has increased a ton too. Your body needs rest so don't be afraid to take a day off.
  • I just finished 30DS and I gave myself weekends off during the program. I know it turned my 30 day program turns into a 45 day program but my quads definitely needed a break. I also kept close tabs on my calories during the program and lost like 1-2 inches from my hips & waist.
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    The hubby and I just started 30 Minute Shred yesterday. This morning I could barely walk because my thighs hurt SO bad. Loosened up enough to do it again today but I could not do the jumping jacks or jump roping because I almost fell over in pain *laff* So, I vigorously marched in place (sorry Jillian) Not sure what I will do tomorrow if I really can't move!
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    It is only a 20 minute workout so I do not see the harm in doing it every day for the 30 days.

I did it every day for 30 days with no rest and I lost 10lbs. It is worth it to stick with it.
    And then think about mixing it up and taking a day or two off (my off days still include walking or something else low impact).
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Am only on day 5 but have not had a break although my body was screaming out for one after day one!

I'm glad I didn't have a break as my body has already adapted to it and is much less painful now and I'm already seeing small changes in my body.

I intend to do this in 30 days but if I need a break I will and will report back.

Good luck all.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 492 Member
    I haven't been able to do it every day, my life gets in the way!!! :laugh: I do it Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and sometimes Friday if I have time. I am doing other workouts too though, so I don't feel too bad!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
    I'm going to try and go all 30, but will listen to my body if I feel I need a rest day. Sometimes working out can be addicting sometimes and I rarely take a rest day anyway..maybe every couple of weeks I do..all depends how I feel and take a rest day if needed. :bigsmile:
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    I did the 30 day shred a couple of months ago and did 6 days on and one day off. Had great results with overall loss of 12.5 inches. I didn't lose that much weight - just under 5 lbs - but then again I don't have much to lose to get to goal now anyway and am only aiming for 1/2 a pound a week.

I still work 2-3 days of Level 2/Level 3 a week into my exercise regime now and I am just about to start No More Trouble Zones which is apparently another killer - wish me luck!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    i rested whilst sick, then sucked it up and continued on. i feel much better when i do it everyday vs taking a rest day.
    it definitely gets easier.

this is from someone who sits on her bum all day (and night) at a desk. if i can do it, i'm sure more active people can handle it.
  • christycegelski
    christycegelski Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all,

I'm new (to 30 Day Shred & My Fitness Pal.) I'm on Day 3 of the workouts, and plan to do them every day for 30 days, along with some other cardio when I'm up for it (today I swam too.) Is everyone here in the midst of the program, or have most of you completed it already?

I'd been lifting weights before, but took about 4 weeks off b/c of a hamstring issue, so I figured 30DS was a good way to ease back into working out again. I notice that because it's interval training, I can't lift as heavy as if I'm doing straight reps at the gym. I think going with lower weights makes it okay to do the workout every day?
  • i did 7 days consecutivly, took yesterday as a rest day as i really couldn't be arsed. i ached all over, not just muscle ache, joints etc, i was really tired, still walked for an hour though . carried on with shred today and found it much easier than i did on friday. i think i needed a break so i guess just go with what your body tells you.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    it states 30 day shred but surely your body needs time to recover if ur building muscle. muscles need time to repair and grow would it not be best to do the shred and do a day or two rest then shred again and so on ?

Jillian herself has addressed this topic in blogs and podcasts. Basically, what she has said is this:
    You can do the shred every day if you want. because it doesn't specifically target any one muscle group for an extended period of time, it doesn't tear them apart the way, say, 90 Day Body Revolution does. It's more cardio than strength training, anyway, and you can do cardio every day if you want.

Pay attention to your body. If you feel more than just the usual, expected soreness and fatigue, then give it a break. It is, however, safe to do the shred on a daily basis if you want to. You could also switch to an easier level, or do the modified easier version of the exercises.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Listen to your body because everyone is different. Someone did mention that the 30 day shred is addressed by Jillian and it isn't very heavy weight training so your muscles will be sore if you are not used to working out but if you push through it you will find it gets much easier. Always give yourself a rest day when you feel you need one, but sometimes pushing through the discomfort and trusting yourself will go a long way in the end!

Good luck
  • halliedoll
    halliedoll Posts: 171
    Personally, I am on day 6, (i do it in the mornings) and I plan to take a rest one or two days in between each level. However, i do take a rest twice a week from working out again after work.