eating out advice

Options
ok tomorrow my mum is taking me out for lunch for my birthday and i am freaking out because i'm flexing my willpower muscle so hard i think i'm gonna pull it once i have a menu in front of me, what is good to avoid or a good bet for a decent low calorie meal either chinese or italian.

any help is much appreciated

xx

Replies

• missemily1124
    Options
    Anytime I go out to eat, I check the restaurants website and look at the nutritional information. This way you can make an informed choice and know exactly how many calories you are eating. Hope you have a great birthday!
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The easiest way I find to stay on task when I go out is to find out where I am going first then research their menu. I then will pre fill my food diary si I know where I am with calories and adjust from there. I then stick to my plans. I also will do extra exercise to absorb extra calories.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    theres a lot with your tongue and bottom lip.....oh wait u mean something else...

Alot of places have "smart" or "light" choices in their menus, me personally if i know im going out i work out/drink alot of water so i wont have to worry about going over calories and the ridiculous amount of sodium that most restaurant food has
  • gloryofthis
    gloryofthis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thank you =]

i wish i could do that and then know what i'm getting so i dont even need to pick up the book of temptations (better known as the menu) but mum cant decide where she wants to go =[

i think i'll scope out a few places that are likely candidates tho, that way ts better than going in without a clue <3thank you<3 xx
  • bluejayyy
    bluejayyy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    remember that restaurant portions are usually bigger than portions you would cook for yourself .. if you are full before you finish, you can save some for later!

what I try to do is eat half of the meal really slowly,(literally split the meal into halves) and by the time I finish that if I am still hungry I will eat more.

drink the whole glass of water before the waiter brings out your meal, then you won't be thirsty and think you are more hungry than you actually are.

since it's lunch, you could always do an extra workout/burn extra calories if you consume over your limit.

try to make your breakfast/dinner lower calorie meals and balance out your intake

hopefully that will help and enjoy your birthday!!! :)
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i always look up the food before i go out to eat so I know what I can have. Sometimes I ask the waiter to box up half the food before he brings it to the table.
  • deidradean13
    Options
    When I got out for Chinese I ususally try to get chicken or shrimp with mixed veggies. I'm not a big fan of rice, so I usually don't eat it. I do like to splurge and get lo mein noodles though. For Italian, I would try to avoid anything in a cream sauce-definitely alfredos. These types of sauces are usually made out of cheese and are high in calories.

Like other people have said, if you have a couple of restaurants in mind, look up the menu and calories ahead of time. This will help you stay on track. But most of all, have fun and enjoy yourself!!
  • gloryofthis
    Options
    bwahahahahahahahaha
    i thought that while i was writing it, then couldnt think of a better way to word it, then thought no one else would be as dirty minded as me lol <3 made my day <3

pre filling out the food diary is such a good idea!! it means i'll eat what i've said i'm gonna instead of lotsa other stuff <3 xx
  • gloryofthis
    Options
    oh boxing half is such a good idea <3 i'm really bad for eating stuff cos its on my plate =/

xx
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i usually stick to chicken breast with salad, also if choosing sauces always go with tomato based ones instead of creamy ones as creamy ones are usually calorie laden.
    if eating out i try to avoid pasta or fried foods
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You don't have to order a salad, get something you want....but don't get a super high calorie food. What i do is get a too go box and put half of the food in there right away. This way if thee al is 1300 cals you are only consuming 650, which can be incorporated easily (or easier) into your daily cals.
  • PurrfumeGIrl
    PurrfumeGIrl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Italian - Special request whole wheat pasta (most restaurants will accomodate). Stick with tomato-based vs creamy (alfredo) sauces. I look for dishes that have olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, basil and chicken. One of my favorite healthy dishes is Cappelini Pomodoro (no chicken).

Chinese - For me this is just dangerous because there tends to be so much sodium. But I would suggest sticking with veggies and chicken dishes.

Portion control - Push half or more aside to take home for left overs.

Most chain restaurants offer calorie/nutrient content but smaller restaurants don't. But you can always do your research and know that basically Chicken Fettucini is XX amount of calories. It's GENERALLY going to be the same wherever you go.

P.S. Happy Birthday!!!