Question on strawberries

Options
mmaikisch
mmaikisch Posts: 20 Member
I dont understand why three cups of mashed strawberries are something like 6 to 10 carbs and a cup and a half of fresh strawberries is 27 carbs. Since it is going in a protein smoothie I am just going to mash them from now on but I dont understand the big difference in carb count. I would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me. Thanks!

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    One of your counts is wrong. Three cups of mashed/pureed strawberries is more like 50-60 carbs (around 18 carbs/5 fiber per cup). One cup of strawberries, halved, has about 12 grams of carbs.

Mashing them does not decrease the carbohydrate content.
  • mmaikisch
    Options
    Thank you!!! I will check on that. That was why I was so confused. lol
  • mmaikisch
    Options
    Okay I just looked up mashed strawberries in the database and it says one cup mashed strawberries has 2g of carbs. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Never go on volume. Always weigh food and go by the official (non-asterisked) values for produce.
  • mmaikisch
    Options
    Okay. Thanks again. I appreciate it bc I use them in my smoothies and dont want to waste more carbs than necessary.
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Try to look up on the back of the strawberry container in the store and compare different brands. See if they all say the same or similar carb count. If so just use what best describes it at mfp database or create your own. Or just scan the bar code on the cntainer.
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Never go on volume. Always weigh food and go by the official (non-asterisked) values for produce.

Well said!
  • mmaikisch
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I found my mistake and you saved me wasting a TON of carbs on something that wasn't worth it. :happy: