Hair/skin

Options
kln2010
kln2010 Posts: 28 Member
I'm just wondering if anyone on here noticed differences in their hair texture or the appearance of their skin with weight loss?

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Not due to weightloss but my hubby said my face was so much brighter/glowing since I'd started to drink so much more water and eliminated sodas.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if anyone on here noticed differences in their hair texture or the appearance of their skin with weight loss?

Generally these things will improve as a result of eating healthier and minimally clean.

Unless you are taking phentarmine or something. If so, enjoy your hair loss.
  • bhajrizi11
    bhajrizi11 Posts: 101
    Options
    I cant tell a difference with my skin but I have noticed my hair thining and falling out. I have TONS of thick hair anyway, this is actually sort of a postive to me but this 1200 cal a day thing sucks. I am losing weight but I think this huge difference in diet is effecting my body in a lot of ways.
  • brittany17love
    brittany17love Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It makes my skin softer and less prone to get pimples. :D I also use masks on my face though haha. As for my hair, my hair is the same which is not a problem for me. I love my hair.
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've always had pretty nice hair. It's a natural pretty red, and my friends used to joke back in the day that I could do a Pantene commercial. That being said, the past couple of years, it's been really dull and dry. Still really thick, but in my opinon lost a lot of its lusture. I've notice that since eating better, and taking vitamins, it's almost back to normal. As for my nails, last week, I went for a manicure for the first time in a year. The nail tech couldn't believe how hard and healthy my nails were. She told me that most of her clients' nails are paper thin, and that she really had to press down hard on the nail clippers for me.
  • Xx_mandown_scotty_xX
    Options
    i hardly have any spots or anything now, my skin has gotten a lot better, as for my hair, not much change :)
  • bhajrizi11
    bhajrizi11 Posts: 101
    Options
    I cant tell a difference with my skin but I have noticed my hair thining and falling out. I have TONS of thick hair anyway, this is actually sort of a postive to me but this 1200 cal a day thing sucks. I am losing weight but I think this huge difference in diet is effecting my body in a lot of ways.

dont get me wrong..I am eating healthier. Fruits and veggies take over the majority of my diet and drinking about 9 or 10 cups of water a day. This could be stress related
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hair loss with weight loss is usually because of not getting enough protein. Make sure you are getting enough and also Biotin can help speed regrowth.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

My skin has cleared up considerably and my hair is super shiny and lustrous these days. I don't know if it's due to weight loss in itself, but I think it's due to better overall nutrition.

My nails are super strong, too.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - I've not had spots for about 5 months now meaning my chin is *finally* looking vaguely normal, rather than covered in lingering red marks from previous pimples (English Rose complexion has major downsides when it comes to scars fading). I think that's largely the exercise thing though as my diet hasn't really changed all that much.
    Not sure re hair - it's more manageable nowadays, but it could just be that it's long enough to weigh itself into nice curls. Nails get chewed to the quick before I have a chance to determine if they've improved.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i knew a girl once who cut fat from her diet. she used to eat this rice cake things and got pi**ed when I called them styrofoam. she had hair like straw...dry skin. horrible but she didn't think so..
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

The hair loss is a result of insufficient protein.

People say 1200 calories OK as it's the recommended minimum, but the 1200 was arrived at by taking into account the minimum requirement of each food group/vitamin.mineral etc, so unless you are hitting those requirements you may be lacking in some nutrition.

Protein cannot be stored by your body, and has to be replenished daily. It is needed for growing hair, nails, skin, organs, repairing muscles after working out, so if you don't take enough in, one of those things will have to give.

So, eat some more protein, and it should get better.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Since drinking much more water and eliminating pop my skin is clearer and softer. I haven't noticed a difference in my hair though.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options

When you eat less calories than your BMR your hair will fall out. Increasing calories should stop this problem and keep your organs healthy.
  • walikeheke
    Options
    I use a lot of natural stuff on my hair and I have a very different hair texture, so I don't know if anything I say will help! Mine is pretty healthy, and I've noticed that I don't break out on my skin as often, although sometimes it can get a bit more oily. I just try to wash frequently with a non-abrasive cleaner and I use an astringent.