I wanted to share my story...hope it helps someone

Options
Hello Fitness Pals! I've never really had a serious conversation with anyone about my weight. After joinging MFP I updated my profile with the following story, finally sharing my "secret" about my extra weight. I decided to post it here with an update. I hope my story helps encourage someone else!

Here's my story -

One day I looked up and I didn't like the way I looked. It was that simple. I spent my whole life being "skinny" and once I hit college I realized I gradually began to gain weight. It was ok because as the world said, "it looks good on you." The problem was it didn't feel good and I no longer felt the way I felt about myself. I kept gaining weight because I had no self-control and no desire to gain any. The more weight I gained, the more I said, "Oh, I need to lose weight." The problem is I never felt inspired enough to do something about it. I knew it was a problem, but it was one I had no desire to fix. I liked eating what I wanted and I still "felt" like I was skinny.

As the number on the scale kept going up, my self-esteem kept going down. It was an inner secret that I didn't share with the world. I hated going shopping because clothes did not look good on me. I couldn't fit in the cute mini-skirts and other things that I had grown accustomed to. I realized I was wearing jeans, t-shirts, and tennis shoes every day! I was once the girl who NEVER wore tennis shoes; I always wore skirts, heels, dresses, and sandals, but these aren't things that look good on girls my size. So I covered my shame by dressing down and not brining attention to myself.

Last year I decided to make a change. I wanted something healthy with no pills or surgeries; I wanted to do it the right way. Although I wanted to; it was just too hard to get started, where would I begin? Do I do Weight Watchers? How much will it cost? Will I have time for a gym membership? Will this work? Is this healthy? Is it worth the effort?

On 1/31/2012 I was introduced to MyFitnessPal and it has transformed my life. I knew that you lose weight by eating fewer calories; however, I never desired to eat fewer calories. Since using MyFitnessPal the weight has literally fallen off. I feel better than I have felt in a long time! I am making healthier decisions. I am controlling my portions and my calories. I am taking accountability for my choices and I am reaping the benefits. MyFitnessPal has changed my life. It is the only thing that has inspired to actually "do something" about wanting to lose weight. I have never tried to lose weight before and MyFitnessPal has truly made this process seamless. I am so thankful and I would recommend this to anyone! 11 lbs. down - 49 more to go!

Updated today - 7/1/12

I lost 21 pounds in a little less than 3 months. I was looking great and feeling great. I was proud of my achievments and felt I could "treat" myself a bit. I stopped using MFP around my birthday in May. I turned 30 and my daughter turned 5. We both had parties, celebrations, and lots of trips out ot eat! After that I just never really started back. In about 2 months I re-gained about 15 pounds! I'm feeling tired and I know it is related to my weight gain. I realized a few things that I wanted to share. I feel better when I am losing weight. I also feel better about myself when I am losing weight. I have more energy when I control what I eat. MFP does work when you use it. Even when you hit your goal weight you should use this to maintain it so that you don't gain the weight back! I now have 52 pounds to lose instead of the 39 pounds I would have had in May. I am thankful that I gained the weight back (I know that sounds crazy) but it showed me I can't do this alone and I have to remain dedicated. I made a goal to lose 10 lbs this month. I was losing 2 lbs a weeks just using MFP with no exercise. I have committed to using MFP and exercising this month to meet my goal. I will check back in on 8/1 to let you guys know how I did!

Thank you for reading and I hope that it helped someone. If not it helped me getting it off my chest!

Replies

• AliB118
    AliB118 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to seeing how you're doing in August.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Way to be accountable! Good luck on your restart
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing your story, it's making me think about what I need to correct before getting to my goal weight so I don't gain it back ever!!!! Good story, best wishes and good luck, I am looking forward to seeing the next part of this story. Thanks again...
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Shows us all if we sway, we will pay.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. Welcome back and best of luck and will power to stay with your resolve. :smile:
  • DelishiaDanielle
    DelishiaDanielle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your support! Please feel free to add me as a friend if you like! See you guys on 8/1!
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    WOW, feel like I was reading my life in your story. I let myself go a lot longer and now have over 100lbs to lose. Half way there and very thankful for mfp, as it has helped and will continue to help me get there. Congrats on your loss and your decision to restart.