Home Gym

Options
Along with the purchase of an elliptical, I am wanting to buy a home gym strength training machine as well. I've been looking into bowflex, total gym and also nordic track personal trainer 3, anyone have experience with these or any other home gym?

Thanks!!! :heart:

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Just came across this... http://www.bodylastics.com/ A $50 alternative and can take it anymore, going to look into this farther as I really would rather spend 50 than 2k :laugh:
  • ajrowart
    Options
    I have the total Gym at home, and it is fun to use. The problem comes in the allocation of space, so the opening and closing of the machine are a bit troublesome. As for the bowflex, I was looking in to it but my friend (works as a personal trainer) told me to be cautious because it is easy to get injured if you don’t know how to exercise correctly. He said that the most common injuries were torn ligaments. Ouch. The point is, these machines are a great way to add variety, but you need a designated space for their use and with the bowflex basic exercise knowledge. My mom collects exercise equipment that she uses a few times and then they collect dust. That is a waste of space and money, look at yourself, your habits, and your past history, than ask yourself, am I going to use this machine or will it just collect dust and dirty laundry in a week? That’s what I do every time I see a cool new toy.
    Hope that helps.
  • kerry1968
    Options
    Hi Arienna,

A cheaper way to strength train/tone would also be to get DVD's and buy some free weights, bench and a pilates ball. I am a trainer and don't use the machines to often, but always use the other equipment to work, it will give you a more challenging workout because it will help with you with inner strength - Core!
    There is a newer one out called PX2? I have spoken to co-workers who where looking for more challenging workouts at home and they have said it really works! If you go to a fitness store you could find some good DVD's that will help you with your muscle training.
    Hope this helps.
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    I agree about just getting some free weights and excercise videos. I personally use BeachBody products, they have helped me to completely change my life...we did own a Bowflex, it was tiresome switching things around constantly in order to work different body parts. We gave it away...that thing was $2000.00
    I do have a few hundred invested in my weights and DVD's, but I have spent that money over the past two years, not all at once and I use what I have.
  • webe
    webe Posts: 11
    Options
    Arienna; I looked at the website for myfitnesspal. Question; some of the pictures show what looks like the cables being clipped to something like a wall. Actually the pictures do not show what they are clicked to, the cable just disappears from the picture. Do you have to clip the cables to something? I have one of those bungee like things and it is limited.