Commenting On Closed Diaries

Options
seal57
seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
My diary is closed and I have it set so it can't be commented on.......I have noticed that others whose diaries are also closed but do allow comments....How can people comment when they can't even see what you are eating?..

I feel that if you want comments then open your diary......If not, then change your setting so no one can comment...

Replies

• seal57
    Options
    looks like no one agrees......
  • mommamindi
    mommamindi Posts: 273
    Options
    I didn't know you could close it to comments? I only get comments when I click done logging for the day and they say good logging...nothing about the possible content. Mines closed right now for personal reasons I figure if someone wants to comment let them
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Once you close out the day there is a message on your wall that says "so an so completed their diary for such and such date and is under their limit" or if not under then it just says it was completed. People can still leave comments on your wall though. Make sense?

ETA: They can comment but if it's not public they can't see it.
  • seal57
    Options
    Once you close out the day there is a message on your wall that says "so an so completed their diary for such and such date and is under their limit" or if not under then it just says it was completed. People can still leave comments on your wall though. Make sense?

ETA: They can comment but if it's not public they can't see it.

When I close my diary for the day, it doesn't say that I have completed my diary for that day.....This is because my diary is closed so it's useless to have anyone to comment on it if they can't view it....

This is how it is done....

Home - Settings - Automatic News Feed Update Settings....
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I agree totally.
    If I saw no value in accountability in this area, the last thing I need are comments.
    It's a personal choice.
    Our goals, programs and results are totally our own. Do what works for you.
    Me?
    I open my diary to the world and welcome comments, suggestions - whatever.
    BRING ITON :drinker:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I think people comment bc they think you logged so it keeps motivation to keep doing so and some feel it's great to constantly be under your calorie goal. Also some just pay no attention. I don't comment on closed diaries bc I'm not sure if you are even eating or overeating so how could I could help?
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what someone else's settings are?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, if anyone ever has any suggestions, I'm open to that. I do not comment on someone's diary that is closed. Even if it comes up on my newsfeed that they are done for the day and under calorie goal. I also do not comment on people's diaries that eat WAY under their calorie goal or comment on people who record weight losses of 1 - 2 pounds a day. If they would like my opinion, I'm sure they will post their questions. :smile:
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, if anyone ever has any suggestions, I'm open to that. I do not comment on someone's diary that is closed. Even if it comes up on my newsfeed that they are done for the day and under calorie goal. I also do not comment on people's diaries that eat WAY under their calorie goal or comment on people who record weight losses of 1 - 2 pounds a day. If they would like my opinion, I'm sure they will post their questions. :smile:

Hmmm... Your diary appears closed. But I agree with your attitude.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    ^^^This
  • seal57
    Options
    I don't give a brass razoo (spell?) what other settings are....maybe it should be done automatically that if your diaries are closed then no one can comment.....

When I first joined, I had it so people could comment on my closed diary then I realised that if I wanted comments then I should open it....I decided to keep it closed and changed my settings....

The reason I posted this because maybe some people don't know that you can change the settings......
  • ladystrange1
    ladystrange1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don not really care. I like to view other peoples diaries on occasion that are similar to mine or has a similar train of thought. So I can get different ideas of food options to tweak my options. I do not judge or comment on settings.

People have reasons and trains of thoughts for the settings they choose. People may have dairy intolerance, Celiac Disease, diabetes, grain allergies, etc... I do not presume to have a phd in Dieting to tell people they should do this or that. I think that different diets can work for different people.

I just recently opened up my diary because it makes me more accountable. And felt guilty for viewing others without sharing back.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    OMG.. hahah i was just thinking the same thing. I do not comment on peoples diaries that are closed. I cant see what they had, I dont know if they didnt log all day and just closed it out.

I am here for help and support and feel that if you close your diary you do not want the help.

That is all! :)
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, if anyone ever has any suggestions, I'm open to that.

Ditto. I used to hide what I ate so nobody would see what I was doing. Since I opened up my diary, I've been pretty good. However, I think most people would be bored to see my diary since I eat the same things all the time.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    People comment on closed diaries sometimes to pat them on the back for logging. Keeping a food diary in and of itself is an accomplishment for a lot of people.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    How can people comment when they can't even see what you are eating?..

Some people comment that at least the person filled out the diary. But since you dont know WHAT they put, I agree it can seem useless. Some fill in arbitrary amounts of calories, which I dont think helps them much, but who am I to say? To each his own.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed and I have it set so it can't be commented on.......I have noticed that others whose diaries are also closed but do allow comments....How can people comment when they can't even see what you are eating?..

I feel that if you want comments then open your diary......If not, then change your setting so no one can comment...

Since you go to one screen to close your diary (Diary Settings), and another to turn off the comments option in your news feed (News Feed Settings), I would guess that people either don't know to take that second step, or don't care enough to bother.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I won't comment on closed diaries because I can't comment on what i can't see. I'm not gonna say "good job!" to someone who is starving themselves, or the workout they chose is actually telling them they burned more calories than they actually did. Or someone who is too far under their calorie goal or someone who was under their calorie goal but ate slop all day lol. I won't judge ppl who have bad days b/c we ALL have bad days, but if the diary isn't open then I have no comment...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Ditto. I used to hide what I ate so nobody would see what I was doing. Since I opened up my diary, I've been pretty good. However, I think most people would be bored to see my diary since I eat the same things all the time.
  • seal57
    Options

Yea, me too....One day I will need to add something to spice up my food......I think sometimes my food eating is in a rut.....