Which exercise to help stress relief/stress headaches?

Options
I've been really stressed with a lot on my plate lately, and haven't gotten to the gym like I should have. My shoulders and neck are always tense these days, and I always feel like a headache is coming on, if I don't already have one. I've been trying to relax, but it hasn't been helping really. I typically do my cardio on the elliptical and strength training in a Group Power class. I don't know if weight training will help or hurt with the tense muscle situation. Should I opt for yoga instead of weights for a bit? Or will the strength training balance me out? Thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Maybe Tai Chi? I did it in college and it was definitely a stress reliever. If you're in the US you can go to http://usa.taoist.org/ to find classes (they're usually pretty cheap). Or just do an internet search, you may find other classes (at colleges, community centers, etc), as well as videos online.
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I hadn't thought about Tai Chi. My gym offers it at 5:30 am (lol, never gonna happen) but I will look around. Thanks again! :smile:
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    I always enjoy a good boxing session. Talk about stress reliever! It also helps with the cardio and arm/back/shoulder/chest strength and toning.

In terms of relaxation, I used to do a class that incorporated yoga, tai chi and pilates. Knotted me up like a pretzel during the class but I certainly felt relaxed and flexible afterwards :smile: good luck!
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks!