Having a hard time eating enough/right balance

Options
I'm only on my third day of doing this, and I'm consistently finding that I'm not meeting my caloric goal. MFP gave me a goal of 1390, and I'm coming in around 900-1000 each day. I'm finding myself in the same position every night--not enough calories, but maxed out on saturated fats. I usually have some carbs left, but not a lot. I'm eating to try to lower cholesterol and triglycerides primarily, and lose weight of course. I'm 5'2" and weigh 183 right now. I've got some health issues (still trying to get a firm diagnosis) and I'm only 32.

I've never really eaten well, and I don't really know how. What can I eat that will boost my calorie intake, but without boosting my carbs and fats? I'm actually staying pretty well under my cholesterol, so that's ok.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Brooke

Replies

• EastSideJohnny
    EastSideJohnny Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Brook. First of all, congratulations for taking control of your life! At first it's tough, but once you get into a routine things become easier. Remember, you didn't get heavy in a week or two and you won't learn how to eat right in a week or two either! Go slow, but go steady.

For me the best way to simplify things and get started with losing weight and avoiding being starved at night was to go on a low carb diet and not pay too much attention to myfitnesspal.com's recommendations (at first). When I started I weighed nearly 300 pounds and was clueless about dieting.

After I knocked off 65 pounds doing strict Atkins, I switched to this website's food recommendations and powered through a plateau. Now it's not a big deal to come in under my daily recommendations so long as I'm close to the numbers and exercising everyday.

The basics of healthy dieting? Lean meats (i.e. chicken, fish), eggs (preferably whites) and vegetables. No sugar, low carbs. Lots of water and eat something every 3 hours. Make your portions of just about anything no larger than a fist or spread out hand. Don't eat when it's dark outside. This should get you going.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You know, it just takes practice. You will learn, and you will get it. It's just new, so don't stress about that. Just do your best and learn as you go.
    The first week, I was in the same boat...just not enough calories. Actually I did not want to eat much...my gut wanted a break, I guess. And after that first week, I had a nice appetite.
    Your health and appearance will improve as you begin to exercise and eat healthier. You can look at the diaries of others for hints to get you started. To get in some good macronutrients, try greek yogurt, or a whey protein drink.

To get even more specific advice, you could open your diary.

Don't be frustrated or get anxious. You will get good results! Also you can try stevia extract as a sweetener...it is natural, and will help you enjoy things like plain nonfat greek yogurt (which is totally delicious, like cheesecake!).

What exercise have you chosen? I would suggest weight-lifting...lower reps/heavier weights...in order to build a little "newbie" muscle, maintain muscle, and boost your metabolism. :)MinMin
  • calamity_j
    Options
    Great advice Eastside! I would say the same thing. I have been on the Ideal Protein diet, and it was 800 calories a day! Now I am around 900...with more fat on the menu...and am much happier, and am still loosing weight. I have been driving myself nuts with all this for the past two weeks,(MFP). My biggest concern is getting enough FIBER!!! I went off the Ideal Protein cuz was in agony! I think I will take Eastsides advice and be a bit more easy on myself! Thanks for posting your concern! I'm in the same boat and it is good to get feedback!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    lean meats, vegetables and whole grains. Don't be afraid of carbs--just eat the right ones and the right amount. Brown rice, steel cut oats, whole wheat and legumes are all good. If you are working out a lot you need some carbs.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    IMO:
    1. Eat your calories!
    2. Don't stress the carbs/fat/protein (yet).

What is your weekly goal set to? Also, try some Greek yogurt. Yum!
  • thebassomatic76
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I let MFP set my caloric goal, which is at 1390. I manually adjusted my fat/sat fat/cholesterol, because that's why I started this. My cholesterol/triglycerides are high and need to come down, and that's my primary goal. Weight loss is secondary. As far as high protein/low carb, I'm trying to lean a little that way, but not too hard because I'm currently being tested for possible kidney malfunction. If that comes back clean, then I'll be fine with lower carbs. But right now I don't want to risk going into ketosis. Exercise wise, I'm only walking 15 minutes per day. I'm also going through some kind of pulmonary issue where my blood oxygen drops with any level of exertion, but doctors haven't figured it out yet. As you can see, at only 32, this was all a huge wake up call that I need to make serious changes, which is why I'm here.

My weekly goals are weight loss 1 lb, Fitness-- 210 calories burned, 3 workouts of 10 mins each. I've actually been going a little over by walking for 15 mins. I also opened up my food diary so if anyone wants to look you can.

I got a lot of good information from those of you who posted, so thank you very much. It was an excellent start and has helped me tremendously.

Brooke