Want ideas to celebrate divorce finalization

Options
spacecase76
spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
My divorce should be final in a few weeks. We have been separated almost a year and a half (Louisiana has a year waiting period if you have children) after I kicked him out early last year. I am so happy to finally be done with it. Someone asked if I had any plans to celebrate the official end, and I really have NO CLUE what I want to do.

Any ideas?

Replies

• KBUnleashed
    KBUnleashed Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am celebrating a break up of a 10.5 year relationship as well and the finalization of our parenting agreement. The celebration for me is challenging myself to run a marathon by the end of summer, lol.

I'm thinking about taking myself to Vegas for a weekend though.....
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Daisy_Cutter Posts: 774
    Options
    When my divorce was final I took two of my best girls friends out to dinner and they had (unknown to me) had the baker at the restaurant make me a 7-layer chocolate cake! We had an awesome celebration!

Also - I took my wedding ring and had it cut up... all the side stones were made into a set of diamond earrings. The center stone was traded for a white gold ring and necklace set with diamonds and pink sapphires and I took HIS wedding band and had it smoothed out and sized for a toe ring. It's great fun to wear!
  • Flugangst
    Flugangst Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Go have hot sex with a hot stranger for hours on end? :D jk

I'd go shopping. Get some hot new clothes, a sexy new dress or two...And then probably go see some male strippers.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    Buy a high-end vibrator. Lol
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I probably should mention that I am dating someone, so no sex with a hot stranger, lol
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm a weirdo but my ex and I had an amicable divorce and celebrated together. We went to San Francisco and partied till dawn. Actually he was my drinking buddy for years after. People gave us strange looks, but we had each others backs.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have to wait 2 years until I can file -I plan on throwing a huge party with alot of cocktails!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Recognize that, even if it's for the best, divorce is still hard on your kids and your ex-husband will always be their father, and maybe having a celebration that you've gotten rid of him is not an appropriate thing to do?
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Hookers and blow?
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I probably should mention that I am dating someone, so no sex with a hot stranger, lol

Don't limit yourself! It's your divorce, you CELEBRATE! (just kidding. maybe.)

Also:
    Recognize that, even if it's for the best, divorce is still hard on your kids and your ex-husband will always be their father, and maybe having a celebration that you've gotten rid of him is not an appropriate thing to do?

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this poster. While he is (perhaps regrettably,) the father of your children, there is nothing wrong with you celebrating this change in your life. The end of a long-term relationship is hard, regardless of whether or not it was your choice, or for the best, or anything else. There is a process of grieving, and in many cases, guilt, remorse, and self-blame. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for trying to celebrate, and therefore take ownership, of the end of a failed relationship.
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    The kids (teenagers)and I had a big bonfire and BBQ, each of us wrote down what it was that had hurt, angered or generally peeved us off about him (abusive marriage) and then we each burned the letters and declared a new life began there and then, it was wonderful and great fun AND we got merrily tipsy :laugh: