Whey Protein Causing Pimples?

Options
I am doing the Fat Shredder diet for P90X, which includes eating 50% protein. I have started to drink Whey Protein shakes as a way to get all of my protein in for the day. But now I am starting to get some pimples. I have gotten three in one week! (And before you say I am a hormonal 20 year old, I've always had great skin and maybe get one pimple every two months).

Does whey cause pimples? If so, is there a way to offset this without stopping the whey? (I of course wash my face every day.)

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• danabrash
    danabrash Posts: 67
    Options
    Allergy?
    top 4 hits off Google for Whey Skin Allergy

Can Whey Protein Cause Skin Rashes? | LIVESTRONG.COM

www.livestrong.com/.../533264-can-whey-protein-cause-skin-rashes/

Sep 2, 2011 – Developing a skin rash after consuming whey protein may be a sign of an allergic reaction. Whey protein is commonly used to increase the ...

Foods That Can Cause Skin Rashes | LIVESTRONG.COM

www.livestrong.com/article/303060-foods-that-can-cause-skin-rashes/

Nov 10, 2010 – Milk contains various proteins that can cause an allergic reaction, such as whey and casein. Skin rashes from consuming dairy need to be ...

Whey Allergy & Acne | LIVESTRONG.COM

www.livestrong.com/article/294507-whey-allergy-acne/

Nov 2, 2010 – The most common symptoms of a whey allergy, according to Kids Health are on the skin, in the digestive tract and the respiratory tract. The skin ...

Whey Protein Causing A Rash | LIVESTRONG.COM

www.livestrong.com/article/518260-whey-protein-causing-a-rash/

Aug 18, 2011 – Milk is one of the most common food allergies that commonly cause skin rashes and other food allergy symptoms. When whey protein enters ...
  • CaraColleen
    CaraColleen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information, DanaBrash!!!
  • JAFODOC
    JAFODOC Posts: 2
    Options
    Too much protein can easily overwhelm your body's (and kidney's) ability to process the toxins that are likely causing you acne. How much water are you drinking? A proper balance of water with protein is vital to keeping your skin clear. If you're breaking out, you're body is trying to tell you that the filter needs cleaning. Try decreasing the protein and increasing the water. After a few days you'll probably notice a difference. If not, then you may want to look into the allergy theory. Not very common though. Of Course asking your doctor is never a bad idea or getting a little blood work to check levels.
  • iifymlife
    iifymlife Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have found this a problem also. Except I have been drinking a lot of milk and eating more wheat bread than I ever had. I am going to stop the wheat and milk, and stay with the whey, hopefully it will stop.

Do you have milk with your protein? Maybe a correlation?