Cheat day guilt...

Options
I went to a concert at the weekend and thought i would treat myself for the day... treating myself included a big lunch (chicken burger, fries, coleslaw, onion rings) then more chips later on and i consumed a lot of cider so ultimately the next day i had a hangover mcdonalds.

i'm so annoyed with myself because i have been doing so well and i feel like i have let myself down.

one good thing about the concert was we had to do a four and a half mile walk back to our apartment which took two hours but that doesn't seem to compare to the amount i ate.

Does anyone else do this or feel the guilt as bad as i do? and will all those extra calories mean i have put weight back on?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the past is the past. feeling guilty about it doesnt help anything. you cant undo it. learn from it and move on.

it takes 3500 calories OVER maintenance to gain a pound. if you went over maintenance then sure, you gained a few ounces. so what.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    3500 calories= 1 lb...the scale might show an increase by a few pounds, but within a couple days, and lots of water, it will go back down. i have the same problem, i feel so bad, and that all my hard work has gone to waste. one day won't kill you, and you'll be back on track in no time. :)
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Totally feel the same way. Had myself some chocolate cake. Told myself id have an off day. Yet cant help but feel guilty. I dont think u put the weight back on tho, I hope not.
  • beautybreakdownNJM
    Options
    I hear you!!

I went out last week for dinner and drinks with friends and not only did i have the bad hangover food, i fell off the wagon for the rest of the week. I've only just picked myself up a couple of days ago. I had so much guilt, i felt like i wanted to cry because i knew the hard work i had put in the week before had all gone down the drain.

It's not a nice feeling, i completely understand that but try to pick yourself back up again and back on track. You wont even think about falling off the wagon a little when you start doing well again. I promise :)

P.s Remember aswell you are allowed to treat yourself occasionally! I'm sure everyone in the process of weight loss have have a few bad days.

Don't worry about it and move forward, closer to your goal weight then :)

Feel free to add me, it's always good to have new weight loss buddies for exactly times like this, i should know from last week ahaa!

Good luck hun xx
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think so long as it remains an occasional indulgence and not something you do regularly, you'll be fine. If you feel the guilt, maybe add a bit extra exercise for the next few days and make sure you eat good fresh food, avoid the junk and the booze. I've done it this weekend as well, I felt bad, but hey we all have to live don't we, while it's good to be health/weight conscious but it's also not good to be so rigid about your diet that you can't let your hair down once in a while for a special occasion.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    . Yet cant help but feel guilty.

NONSENSE...you CAN help how you feel. think about it, decide what if anything to do about it and move on. feeling guilty is a choice. dont choose guilt.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yes, I went to Paris + Disneyland for a week. Nothing healthy on option, did my best but did eat some pizza, chips etc and PLENTY of cocktails! I came back and suprising only put on 2.4lbs. I drank hell of alot of water and within 3 days it was gone again. I wouldn't worry, just drink water and stay on track. This is a life change.. you're not going to eat perfectly forever so don't feel bad! as long as you enjoyed yourself and now you're sticking to eating well alls good x
  • ssilvey726
    ssilvey726 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Cheating is going to happen, in one form or another. My advice is to remember how you feel, and use that next time you feel like really going overboard.

From the sound of things, it's not necessarily anger at cheating, it's anger at how/what you cheated with. If you can keep that lesson in mind the next time you're in a cheating scenario, hopefully keeping just a little of that guilt will help you in determining what food choices to make while you're out with folks.

You've got to live your life. A lot of social situations revolve around food in some fashion. Just keep that in mind and try to make better choices so you don't feel quite so guilty.

I went out to dinner with my family tonight and felt some guilt about it. But in the end, time with my family was simply more important than one day of dieting. And I went about 200 calories over my goal for the day. But I offset that with extra exercise and making the right decisions while I was out because I didn't want to feel that guilt that you're talking about.

Good luck!
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    . Yet cant help but feel guilty.

NONSENSE...you CAN help how you feel. think about it, decide what if anything to do about it and move on. feeling guilty is a choice. dont choose guilt.

True ^_^. Thanks
  • tonkabella
    tonkabella Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I plan 1 day off per 7 and do not in anyway feel guilty.... if I did not have my day off I would just crave for foods that I love but are very fattening. OK for 2 days max afterwards I am a pound or so heavier before my day off... but straight back on my plan and within 2 days I am usually below the weight I was before the day off. I have a 2 week cruise coming up in Nov and no way am I going to deny myself on that... I will do my best to make the best choices from the menus given to limit the damage but I will not feel guilty about anything I eat and when I come back I will be straight back on my plan to get back to my pre cruise weight. Sooo to conclude... enjoy your day/days off, no guilt, no complaining about weight gain... just hope back on the wagon and forget about it.