Cricket snacks

Options
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has some food tips or advice on this one. I am off to the cricket this week with a group of mates and what normally happens is a large quantity of meat snacks are taken along. This is stuff like pork pies, sausage rolls and so on. I was thinking there must be something alternative for me. Don't really want to carry a tub or quinoa around. My first thought was some tofu substitute. I am sticking to 1200-1400 cals per day so ideally something low cal but snacky.

Any tips and ideas would be most welcome.

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Grapes are my number one low cal snack.
  • Cant0na
    Cant0na Posts: 34
    Options
    These chicken patties are really yummy with a dipping sauce or a salad. Hot or cold

They are pretty spicey so you may want to quarter the chillies, if you are not into too hot foods.

http://www.food.com/recipe/low-fat-chorizo-204614

Go England!
  • munchysmum123
    Options
    Marinade strips of chicken breast in soy sauce , 1tsp sesame oil, lemon juice, chopped ginger and garlic.
    Grill the chicken pieces til cooked.
    Good alternative to cocktail sausages
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Are you going to the ODI on Wednesday? I'll be there!

I'm cooking some chicken breast in the oven and taking sweet chilli dipping sauce, salad etc. Grapes are a good snack and I'll be doing slices of melon with a few strawberries.

On the down side I'm going with my dad and hisband who aren't calorie counting so there will also be pork pie and sausage rolls to tempt me!

Here's hoping the sun shines, but it's not looking too promising at the moment!
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In Australia we take a watermelon, and wear the shell as a hat when we are finished! :drinker: :laugh:
  • sammyjbray
    sammyjbray Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous, I would love to be there!
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Having spent last summer at the cricket like an obsessive, I learnt only that if you buy a lot of beer and talk to the barmen, you can cadge free pints. I have no tips for food consumption; last summer is why I'm here.

But have fun! I'm going to three days of the SA match at the Oval later this month and I have a feeling I'll be writing those days off wholesale...
  • HanyaBreak
    HanyaBreak Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the super tips everyone :) doing the food shop tonight so will stock up on the chicken recipes!

Beating those meat snacks off with a stick! Chicken drumstick (I'll get my coat!)
  • HanyaBreak
    Options
    Gail, yes I will be there. Very excited indeed. Me the Mr and a gang of lads so I know where you are coming from with the food temptation.

Fingers crossed for the weather!!! :)
  • HanyaBreak
    Options
    In Australia we take a watermelon, and wear the shell as a hat when we are finished! :drinker: :laugh:

Love it!
  • starnca
    starnca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Be cautious of grapes....they are low in fat but very high in sugar and calories. Try carrot sticks so they both fill you up and satisfy the crunch factor. Low salt peanuts are higher in calorie but you can eat less of them to get filled up. Just portion them out as they are easy to pop in your mouth and you quickly lose track of how many you have. Watermelon is great idea too! Cheers! :flowerforyou:
  • HanyaBreak
    Options
    Dragonnade, I am well jels you are off to the Oval for the SA match! Yeah, think I would write them off too ;)