Off day crash - anyone dealing with this?

Options
ctooch99
ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
So, I have been doing fairly well with my exercise and eating regimen and MFP has been a real godsend to me in achieving my goals. I really enjoy meeting all you great MFPers and reading the various topics of discussion - so very helpful!

So here is one for you guys:

I try to incorporate at least one or 2 rest days per week in my regimen. I know I could probably keep going 7 days a week, but I don't want to burn out and obviously I want to enjoy some down time and "non-exercise" activities (like reading, drawing, listening to music, etc.).

What I have noticed though, is that on my scheduled days off, I often experience a "crash" which I am really not liking. I don't know if this analogy is correct (as I don't drink excessively or do drugs), but it seems almost like I go through "withdrawal" symptoms on non exercise days.

I feel really groggy and lethargic, sometimes I feel bloated (even though I am eating the same healthy foods as on regular workout days), my joints ache, I often end up dozing on the couch (rather than doing the other enjoyable stuff I mentioned) - it's really weird and annoying. I figured on my days off, I would be energized from my workout days and ready to do other stuff, instead, I experience these "symptoms".

I know exercise releases endorphines, and I am wondering if there is any relationship to how I feel on my off days? Anyone else experience this? If so, how do you deal with it? It typically take me one exercise day to rebound from my off-day crash and then I am good... until my next off day. Ha

Thanks - and good health to you all.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I know exercise releases endorphines, and I am wondering if there is any relationship to how I feel on my off days? Anyone else experience this? If so, how do you deal with it? It typically take me one exercise day to rebound from my off-day crash and then I am good... until my next off day. Ha

You nailed it already. My off days are my worst days as well. Since I work out first thing in the morning, I feel the crash almost immediately. It's worth noting that I only feel this way when I'm training more often than usual. On my normal 3-4 days per week, no crash. But when it's 6 days a week or more, I get the crash. So the answer for both of us is to probably take more off days more regularly. Which I swear I will do 15 pounds from now......maybe.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OP what is your ultimate goal?
    Timeline?
    How much are you allowing for calories daily?
    Are you low carbing?
  • LMKI1
    LMKI1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I exercise 5 days a week and usually have fridays and saturdays as rest days, however I have not noticed a 'crash' I actually enjoy the break, although I love exercising too. Even when I'm on holiday I still have to exercise and cannot not do it, so it is like an addiction, although a good one imo!!
  • cvance3
    cvance3 Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm familiar with "The Crash" (mine's usually on the weekends!) Maybe you could incorporate in some yoga or Pilates on your off training days, so you can get your heart rate up some and some stretching in?
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing. The rule I use is one rest day per week, no matter what. If you are sleeping well, then you are not over exercising. A lot of folks push too hard and find they can't sleep.

I have to make myself rest, but I started taking walks. I have a desk job, so I use my 1 hour lunch for a walk. I get in a few miles, stay lose and enjoy the view while I listen to music. I try to schedule my leisure for my breaks, otherwise I eat.

If you have been doing this for a long time, you are probably not getting a lot of muscle pain, and maybe you need to kick up your workouts with a faster pace, or extend the time to be at an hour or so.

If you are feeling good, go enjoy the endorphins. They are there for you to feel good. :)
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The bloating could be water-retention if you are training particularly hard on your "on" days. Your muscles will naturally store extra water as they repair themselves. The repairs to your body might also account for the lack of energy, but if the lack of energy is keeping you from enjoying your non-exercise activities, it might be good to check in with your doc and see if he or she has any medical advice for you. He/she will know your body and condition best and can recommend ways to improve the quality of your off days.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!!!!! I have not been able to work out for the past 8 days due to an "episode" I had the weekend before last! i go for a nuclear stress test tomorrow and can't wait to get it over with. I don't do a lot of cardio but I told my wife I was looking forward to the test because it will be the closest thing to exercise I have been allowed to do in over a week! All last week I have noticed my muscles and joints feeling achy which doesn't happen when I am lifting. Also I feel like a blown up toad frog because of being bloated! LOL!!! I feel your pain brother!!!!!! :drinker:
  • tsdsign
    tsdsign Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel the same way sometimes. I've tried switching up my rest days, taking vitamins (I'm vitamin D2 deficient), and yoga/sauna/hot bath. This helped a little but there are still those days when I feel spent. Sometimes I'll take a couple days back-to-back just to give my body a chance to re-energize itself. I've never had any withdrawal symptoms but I used to regret skipping gym days. I'm over that now. I had to learn resting is just as important. However, I did notice that when I exercise I go HARD 90% of the time. So, what I started mixing in low-moderate intensity exercises at least 1x a week. Something to just get the heart rate up slightly like a brisk walk or yoga. That really helped me out because I'm not putting all that stress & strain on my body.
  • ctooch99
    Options

You nailed it already. My off days are my worst days as well. Since I work out first thing in the morning, I feel the crash almost immediately. It's worth noting that I only feel this way when I'm training more often than usual. On my normal 3-4 days per week, no crash. But when it's 6 days a week or more, I get the crash. So the answer for both of us is to probably take more off days more regularly. Which I swear I will do 15 pounds from now......maybe.

Dude, seriously, I so hear ya. If I even smell fatty food, I gain weight! I can't see taking off more than I already do and not wrecking my progress... thanks for sharing.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    OP what is your ultimate goal?
    Timeline?
    How much are you allowing for calories daily?
    Are you low carbing?

My goal is to maintain my current body weight and fitness (although I would not building more muscle and definition) - Timeline - started my regimen January 1 2012 - have dropped 35 lbs to date (made my goal). Typically workout 5-6 times per week - P90X and adult league hockey. My diet is pretty evenly spread - I basically try to eat mostly whole foods, and limit sugars and fats - I am taking in @ 1800-2000 gross cals daily and expending anywhere from 600-800 in exercise.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    I'm familiar with "The Crash" (mine's usually on the weekends!) Maybe you could incorporate in some yoga or Pilates on your off training days, so you can get your heart rate up some and some stretching in?

Yes, this is a great suggestion and I have found it is effective, although I still consider it a workout, so technically I am not giving myself a day off - ha.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yep. I know exactly what you're talking about. My day off was yesterday and I felt like I was getting the shakes from inactivity! :smile: I also felt pretty irritable and anxious too. I really think exercise is just another form of addiction (I guess if you're going to be addicted to something this would be one of the best addictions). On my days off I still try to go for a half hour walk just for my own sanity. My dog appreciates it too! I just got back from my boot camp and I already feel so much better!
  • ctooch99
    Options
    I know what you mean!!!!! I have not been able to work out for the past 8 days due to an "episode" I had the weekend before last! i go for a nuclear stress test tomorrow and can't wait to get it over with. I don't do a lot of cardio but I told my wife I was looking forward to the test because it will be the closest thing to exercise I have been allowed to do in over a week! All last week I have noticed my muscles and joints feeling achy which doesn't happen when I am lifting. Also I feel like a blown up toad frog because of being bloated! LOL!!! I feel your pain brother!!!!!! :drinker:

Yeah bro - it's really aggravating. I basically just dig in and work through it, but my first day back after my break day is brutal!
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I have a bit of a crash on my days off (two days off a week, typically wednesday and saturday)...But I usually like a rest on those days for the same reason you do, other activities and social obligations....I still try to do some walking though. I have arthritis in both of my ankles...which is super painful if I DON'T exercise- I tend to exercise earlier in the day...if I do at least 30 minutes of elliptical, stairs, or running the scar tissue and arthritis gives me a break for the rest of the day.... It may hurt for the first 5-10 minutes, but being pain free for the rest of the day is worth it....so exercising, even on my "off" days is worth it. Another poster suggested integrating light exercise into every off day....or maybe just making sure you participate in active daily living might help the crash- decide to walk the mall for an hour at least, then go to a cafe to read your book over a tea....go to the park for some Frisbee, walk the dog, take the stars, bike to your lunch date, etc.
  • MsBallerinaBody
    Options
    yesterday was that day for me. but i eat a little "naughty" food on those days. i had cheesy mac n cheese. and smores. i feel bloated today.

its crazy. i know exactly what you mean by being non-productive on your days off. during the week, i work, work out and walk my dog - all in one day. but on my days off it feels like i can barely walk my dog and cook myself something. ugh! i will work on that
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yes I had this hit me HARD like a week ago so I took off 2 days this week but now I feel lazy and unmotivated every day. So I think I'll just try going hard like I was and walking the dog on off days. I mean it was bad 2 weeks ago on my off day I was immobilized (not in pain) in bed - dazing into space - it was weird :)
  • ctooch99
    Options
    Yes I had this hit me HARD like a week ago so I took off 2 days this week but now I feel lazy and unmotivated every day. So I think I'll just try going hard like I was and walking the dog on off days. I mean it was bad 2 weeks ago on my off day I was immobilized (not in pain) in bed - dazing into space - it was weird :)

Thanks for sharing - yeah it drives me crazy! Here I am thinking I should be leaping out of bed on rest days and instead it is the opposite - a groggy struggle to get up and moving...