New to board need holiday tips

Options
I have just started this process of losing weight an getting healthy. When I started on Nov. 3rd I weighed 285 lbs. As of last Monday I had lost a total of 10lbs in 11 days. I am doing this as part of a team. It seems to keep me motivated and helps me stay on the right path. The people I am doing this with are co-workers.

What I need to know is how do I get through the holidays when others are cooking? What tips do you have to eat healthy through the holidays?

lauralaughing

Replies

• jhb090107
    Options
    I could really use some help in this area as well
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    First off - welcome and good on you for the loss. I just read some holiday ideas. One was don't waste calorie on foods you can get all year long, like potato chips. Allow yourself some of the favorite holiday- specific food, but decide in advance what you really want and leave the stuff that's just ok, not your favorites, alone. Try to stay away from buffets (like we didn't know that).
  • jacquelinekrigby
    Options
    I am making it a point to let everyone know that I am committed to a healthy lifestyle and if they are joing us for dinner then they will enjoy a healthier version of the classics. I am avoiding mashed potatoes and gravy in favor of baked sweet potatoes, no marshmellows of course ;) . Turkey will be roasted without butter and added stuffing. Plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits. And only whole wheat rolls instead of white ones. Being healthy and loosing weight is a lifestyle or you go back to the frumpy old you once you fall off. Anyway off my soap box I hope this helps ~Jacqueline
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    Learn as much as you can about the foods that are lower in calories so you can make good choices when you eat with friends........obviously butter, cream sauces, white potatoes and gravy, bread, alcohol,and desserts are things to avoid. If you make good choices and are careful with portion size you will at least, do no harm at holiday gatherings.:bigsmile: and drink a lot of water:drinker: and put a lot of energy into enjoying the company of the people rather than entertaining yourself with food.
  • tzvishear
    Options
    10 lbs in 11 days is not a rate that you will be able to keep up. on average most doctors will tell you between 1 - 2 lbs per week is a good rate of weight loss. as far as the holidays go, try and change what you cook with to cut down on the calories. for instance, use olive oil instead of regular oil. tastes better and it is healthier for you. as long as you keep your portion sizes where they should be you should do okay.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Great start on your weight loss journey!

There are still lots of things you can do when others are cooking.

-Check out all of the food first, and try to fill your plate with as much healthy stuff as you can, and then add on the things you really need to feel like it's Thanksgiving.
    -Try to get in a walk or workout in the morning to earn some extra calories before you eat.
    -Avoid alcohol (unless that's a necessary part of what makes Thanksgiving for you) since it's just empty calories and can make you not realize how much you're eating. If you must have alcohol, maybe try a diet coke and hard liquor or a wine spritzer with half wine, half diet sprite/7-up.
    -Don't bring back leftovers to your house.
    -Enjoy the conversation, and try to slow yourself down and enjoy what you're eating.
    -Remember that it's Thanksgiving day and not a week of over-indulging. Even if you forget every tip, just make sure on Friday morning, you're back on track to being healthy.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! I know you will be successful.

-Alison