Fell off the wagon

jhb090107
jhb090107 Posts: 37
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
Okay so last night (late enough it was listed on today's food diary) I binged. I had a whole sleeve of saltines with peanut butter, about a half a cup maybe a little more, and four Jello pudding cups (sugar free).

I'm extremely disappointed with myself. The only silver lining I can find here is that in the world of binges or rather way I have binged in the past this was fairly controlled.

Here's the issue: I know from the past beating myself up over this is not going to be productive - I did it for years and did nothing but gain weight. So have you fallen off the wagon recently? How did you jump back on that sucker?

Replies

• sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Me, too. After years of not binging, I have 2 times since Sept. Hiding food in the closet even. I came clean to my husband, who probably knew anyway, What I realized years ago is I am trying to fill a void that can't be filled with food. I try remind myself of that. And I take a walk or do something fun for exercise, instead of the boring treadmill. And yeah, as binges go, yours was pretty controlled.
  • amathus
    amathus Posts: 49 Member
    I went to see New Moon today and ate most of a box of Milk Duds and a bunch of popcorn. But I did drink a Coke Zero with it, so I'm good (haha).

Tomorrow is another day. I would say just forget it, but you don't really want to forget it. You need to remember it so you don't do it again.

As for me, the next movie I plan on seeing isn't until Christmas day (Sherlock Holmes), and that's a day I plan on binging anyway, so...
  • Everybody does it at some point. Just don't let 1 bad day turn into a bad week. That's success!

I just joined MFP 2 days ago....so no binges yet. But how I've gained all my weight to get me here is by eating at night (root beer floats, popcorn, all the yummy stuff). Oh and I love peanut butter and have definitely ate a whole sleeve of saltines with it before (which is why your post stuck out to me).

Good luck!
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    HAHA! You should check out my binge! I ate bar food before I started drinking, I drank all night, ate at Denny's and then ate out at Cookout (it's a fast food chain in North Carolina)
    I vow to never drink that much again! I made the most horendous choices....and feel quit guilty.
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    I laugh because I feel like I totally could have done the same thing. I love peanut butter and jelly on saltines and could totally eat a whole sleeve! LOL
    Human nature to make mistake after mistake. If you let it get you down it may actiually be a detriment. But move on and it's just a slight bump as opposed to a turning point. You can do good the rest of the week! Untill Thanksgiving Day of course. A REAL American holiday...LOL
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Yep. I binged last night. Granted, it wasn't as bad as my binges have been in the past... but, it was a binge. After I logged everything I ate, MFP pretty much brought me back to reality. It calculated that I would be 15 pounds heavier in 5 weeks if I continued to binge like that. :noway: I've used a lot of different calorie counting websites but none of them have been as eye opening as that! Wow.

You're right, beating ourselves up about it isn't going to do any good. We just have to pick up and keep trying. So, this morning I woke up and fixed my oats and apple and worked out. I started the day fresh. Yeah, I screwed up yesterday, I acknowledged it and I am moving forward. That's all I can do. The more I focus on it, the more likely the cycle is to continue.

When I do "fall off the wagon" like yesterday I try to pinpoint where it all started... what caused it? What triggered it? For me, honestly? First, it was almost midnight and I should have gone to bed but I was playing on the computer. Haha. Second, I wanted chocolate. I denied myself that craving and it backfired (like always) and I hit the pantry, eating waaay more cals than I would have if I had just allowed myself a little chocolate. :ohwell: Sadly, I know better-- I've pretty much got my triggers figured out (stress, fatigue, restricting, etc.) but, now I am working on finding better ways to deal.

Anyway-- try not to stress too much about it, that only makes it worse. Each day is a new day.
  • I am glad I'm not the olny binger today. Just had a day of mindless eating. Although I usually don't record my binge days but today I did. I ate a little over 4,000 calories today. I really feel so ashamed!!! But tomorrow I will go back to my 1240 calories and the gym. This is the first time I have owned up to overeating and I really am very ashamed of myself......Any words of wisdom out there?
  • PatB52
    PatB52 Posts: 65
    Just put it behind you and start fresh. Tomorrow is a new day.

I didn't binge this weekend but took in a few more calories than I normally do what with a fancy dinner on Friday night and a catered brunch at church today. I know it wasn't good for me but I did enjoy myself. Monday is a new day!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    OK, jhb, I don't think it is that bad. I just figured up the calories for your binge, and it seems to be only about 1400. Added to your regular calories for the day, I don't know what it comes to, but look up your basal metabolic rate in the tools. Did you even go over that? And if so, by how much? I'm betting it's not too much, and that is the rate of calories that you burn in a day if you don't even get out of bed. So, if you did anything else during the day to burn some calories, did you really eat enough to gain weight? It takes 3500 calories over what you burn to gain a pound. So - what I'm saying is, that although this is not in keeping with the new lifestyle you are trying to maintain, in the greater scheme of things, this one incident shouldn't be that big of a deal. Don't beat yourself up! You are a better person than you are giving yourself credit for. In the words of the old song, (and you should have known that I would quote one), "Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again!" You have achieved great things in the past month, and you rock!
  • jadenfox
    jadenfox Posts: 43 Member
    ugh. I hear you loud and clear.

Friday and saturday were BAD. Friday was my boyfriend and I's 5 year anni and he had reservations. For korean BBQ and sushi...SUSHI! We also had a staff meeting at work and food gets brought in. I had a salad, which was ok, then a not too good dinner. Ate way over my calories. Then yesterday I had a girls game night party. I stayed with the good choices, but it was alot of standing and grazing and when I entered it- I was again way over limit.

I did better today and have 3 good days before turkey day.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Keep your head up. After I finished my race Saturday, I not only fell off the wagon..I was bucked off and dragged behind it.

Just put it behind you, remember how you feel about this, and move on. Today is another day to get better.
This discussion has been closed.