Egg Yolks The Enemy?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
I eat the whole egg personally, and have had no issues with getting to and keeping my current weight, and my bodyfat % is 19 or less.

Do you eat the whole egg, or just the white, and what are your reasons ?

Even if I were trying to lose weight still, I would not even consider eating only egg whites as I find the whole egg much more filling and satisfying, and it gives me a lot of nutrients including iron and fat which I would sooner get from an egg than from junk food.

Replies

• angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg too :) There are things in the yolk you don't get from just the whites. Choline is one...I can't remember the rest. I personally don't believe that eating more than 1 whole egg a day will give me high cholesterol.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg too :) There are things in the yolk you don't get from just the whites. Choline is one...I can't remember the rest. I personally don't believe that eating more than 1 whole egg a day will give me high cholesterol.

No, neither do I. I eat between 1 and 3 eggs a day, including duck eggs which I absolutely love, especially if I am craving unhealthy foods after a hard workout.
  • rueyaroo
    rueyaroo Posts: 35
    Options
    I think if you're buying the free-range, organic, omega-3 enriched, expensive ones you should probably eat the yolk. otherwise i do not
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg...I have never in my life eaten just the whites. The yolk is the yummy part! I don't eat eggs every day, though, and never more than 2 a day.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    A very small number of people are so-called "responders" and dietary cholesterol increases their serum cholesterol.

For most of us, it has little to no effect. I eat a whole egg virtually every afternoon and my total cholesterol is 155, for all the good that anecdote does you ;)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I only eat the whites because yolks are gross. If I liked them, I'd eat them, though.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I eat one whole and one egg white most every morning and if I want a snack in the evening I often have whole hard boiled eggs. Mt reason for only the one whole egg in the morning is just keeping the total calories to 400-450 (I also eat toast or oatmeal and coffee with almond milk, protein powder, coconut and flax oil).

I cannot lose weight eating super low fat and even when I was eating 3 eggs every morning and frequently more for dinner while on a low carb diet ages ago my cholesterol and blood pressure levels were just fine.

My motto is everything in moderation, a few egg yolks won't kill me!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Do you eat the whole egg, or just the white, and what are your reasons ?

I eat the whole thing....always have. I dont eat eggs every day...maybe twice a week, so I dont worry. For me, the protein advantage outweighs the cholesterol.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I buy free-range, organic eggs and eat the whole thing. The yolk is absolutely the best part. If you are buying free-range organic, the yolk is also the healthiest part. You are throwing away the good stuff if you are only eating the whites. Also, the yolks need to be runny for you to get the best benefit. My husband's medical doctor told him just a few months ago that the AMA is rethinking its position on eggs raising cholesterol levels.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I buy free-range, organic eggs and eat the whole thing. The yolk is absolutely the best part. If you are buying free-range organic, the yolk is also the healthiest part. You are throwing away the good stuff if you are only eating the whites.

We buy eggs from pastured chickens and I cannot imagine throwing away those glorious, bright orange yolks! On the rare occasion I want scrambled eggs for breakfast, I will sometimes buy a carton of 100% egg whites to add to whole eggs though.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol is just above borderline, so I choose to eat only the egg whites for now, as well as limit the amount of red meat I eat per week, choose olive oil over butter, etc. I went from 235 to 202 in six months (not awesomely great, but an improvement nonetheless...) Once I get my cholesterol under 200, I will reintroduce egg yolks and see how they affect me in moderation (perhaps three per week).
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolk if it fits into your daily allowance of fat....if it doesn't, don't.

Simple as that really.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    whites. a while back i was having cholesterol issues and my nutritionist suggested i limit the yolk intake.
    Now simply prefer the whites
  • sazzlewilson
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. My naturopath actually told me that it's better to eat the whole thing, because they work together to release all of the nutrients etc (don't remember the exact facts).
    Guess it's personal preference though.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    It never ever occured to me to just eat the white. Unless I'm making meranges (What a stupid word to spell.)
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    yolks provide good cholesterol and healthy fats I eat 3 whole and 3 whites a day when im back home, the yolks wont make you fat, they wont mess with your health