Fats?!?

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
Okay. So I never paid much attention to this particular macro before. I knew there were good fats and bad fats, but I really didn't pay too much attention to which ones ended up in my body. Most of the time I am way under in fat. I recently read NROFLW. I have yet to start the lifting part of the program because I want to get the nutrition part in line first. When reading the book, I realized that ignoring my fats might be what has been hindering my weight loss as of late. Unfortunately, I have no desire to take fish oil.

So... school me on the good fats. How does fats affect hormones? What are the best dietary sources of good fats? Are there supplements available other than fish oil?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    The only bad fats are trans fats and to a lesser degree refined vegetable oils. Context and dosage needs to be applied for any real life examples where these and any fat could be detrimental. All natural occurring dietary fats I would classify as good fats.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, almonds, walnuts ect. fish, olive oil, honestly....just take the fish oil theres no reason not to "i dont like it" is kindof preschool status to be honest, not trying to offend just sayin, people who have the most success often do things we dont like doing, I eat things that make me gag but Ill chase it with water just cuz I know its important for me to get them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    peanut butter, almonds, walnuts ect. fish, olive oil, honestly....just take the fish oil theres no reason not to "i dont like it" is kindof preschool status to be honest, not trying to offend just sayin, people who have the most success often do things we dont like doing, I eat things that make me gag but Ill chase it with water just cuz I know its important for me to get them.

Why can't I just do it the old fashioned way? I would rather at least attempt to meet those needs through diet before resorting to supplements.
  • mageets79
    mageets79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I googled and found this link that has a chart of the healthy mono and poly unsaturated fats. HTH: http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm
  • neanderthin
    Options

Why can't I just do it the old fashioned way? I would rather at least attempt to meet those needs through diet before resorting to supplements.
    You can get all the fat through diet, just educate yourself and find out which foods you like. Omega 3's are found in some ocean species and are also found in plant greens, if that's what your worried about.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Nuts, natural nut butters, avocado, oils like olive, rice bran, avocado, fish - especially salmon.
  • jkrau37
    jkrau37 Posts: 11
    Options
    OK basically, and this is very basic....
    good fats - unsaturated fats (poly and mono) - come from vegetables (except canola, coconut oil and palm oil as they can easily become rancid at room temperature)
    unsaturated fats help lower cholesterol - olive oil is a great choice to help with this and also helps with healthy heart

bad fats (which aren't really bad unless you eat heaps of it) are saturated and come from animals.

really bad fats are trans fats - deep fried and highly processed foods

Omega 3 is essential for healthy heart - if you don't like the thought of fish oil pills (they really don't taste at all) you can eat at least 2 serves a week of trout or salmon, catfish, makerel, or eat a lot of flaxseed (not whole - must be cracked to be effective).

so basically, be like the Mediterraneans and use a lot of olive oil with a little animal fat, along with a lot of fish and then you will have a healthy heart, low cholesterol and thin waist line.

hope this helps.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i try to stick to the paleo theory: half plate lean meat, half veggies, and a dollop of fat. good fats: avocado/avocado oils, bacon fat, butter, chicken fat, duck fat. and these "good fat" examples come from paleo guide "balanced bites", so no i'm not making it up that bacon fat is good for your progress.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I googled and found this link that has a chart of the healthy mono and poly unsaturated fats. HTH: http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm

This helps a lot. Thank you.

I was already eating mostly healhty sources of fat. I just have to figure out how to work more of them in.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    good fats - unsaturated fats (poly and mono) - come from vegetables (except canola, coconut oil and palm oil as they can easily become rancid at room temperature)
    unsaturated fats help lower cholesterol - olive oil is a great choice to help with this and also helps with healthy heart

bad fats (which aren't really bad unless you eat heaps of it) are saturated and come from animals.

Omega 3 is essential for healthy heart - if you don't like the thought of fish oil pills (they really don't taste at all) you can eat at least 2 serves a week of trout or salmon, catfish, makerel, or eat a lot of flaxseed (not whole - must be cracked to be effective).

so basically, be like the Mediterraneans and use a lot of olive oil with a little animal fat, along with a lot of fish and then you will have a healthy heart, low cholesterol and thin waist line.

hope this helps.

I second this ^
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you want omega-3s without doing a supplement go for oily fish (tuna, salmon, sardines), grass fed beef, eggs from chickens that are eating flax.

I eat the following foods for good fats: avocados, pastured meats, grassfed butter, whole milk, grassfed yogurt, coconut oil, eggs, olive oil, oily fish, some nuts (I'm allergic to some nuts), and other things I can't think of right now :)

Oils and fats I avoid: trans-fat (obviously), canola oil, vegetable oil, peanut oil, margarine, most oils from seeds and soy in general. They tend to go rancid very quickly and are high in polyunsaturated fats, which can promote inflammation.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

You can get all the fat through diet, just educate yourself and find out which foods you like. Omega 3's are found in some ocean species and are also found in plant greens, if that's what your worried about.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get more of them in. I recently adjusted my macro ratios for the NROFLW guidelines, and apparently, I wasn't getting enough. I was usually around 15% fats rather than the recommended 30% so I'm trying to figure out how to increase that. Like I said, I never really paid attention to dietary fats before.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

hope this helps.

This helps tremendously. Thank you.
  • neanderthin
    Options

hope this helps.
    All of this is not correct. First of all all refined vegetable oil is rancid by the refined process itself and why there's something called a deodorizing process. Saturated fats which include coconut and palm oil are the least effected by the elements and don't go rancid easily. And trans fats are basically hydrogenated vegetable oils and have nothing to do with processed foods or deep frying, but these processes usually do have hydrogenated fats as the fat of choice .
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

hope this helps.
    All of this is not correct. First of all all refined vegetable oil is rancid by the refined process itself and why there's something called a deodorizing process. Saturated fats which include coconut and palm oil are the least effected by the elements and don't go rancid easily. And trans fats are basically hydrogenated vegetable oils and have nothing to do with processed foods or deep frying, but these processes usually do have hydrogenated fats as the fat of choice .

That's good to know. I was wondering about this because I do like to fry in olive oil sometimes.