Teaching a dog to run with you?

Options
tuneses
tuneses Posts: 467 Member
I have a 4 year old Lab i'd like to get running with me. My problem with him is no matter what pace I go, even when we walk, he wants to be at the end of the leash pulling me. Anyone have training tips or a good website? TIA

Replies

• geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have 2 terriers who absolutely love running with me. 1st thing I'd say is get a harness this is the one I have http://www.kisi.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=52&Itemid=1

My dogs walk pretty good to heal but running they're off in front and with the harness its where I like them to be. You may need to get him to dog classes if he is pulling when you walk but I still think you'd find that your dog will still naturally run up front, but with this type of harness the pressure is taken off and you have 2 hands free to run & balance yourself, just keep an eye on him for stopping dead in front of you :huh:
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I used to run a few years ago with my eldest Dalmation and never used to bother with a lead he just use to stay with me. He is 15 yrs old in October and still going strong so it must have done him some good as well. He has lived about 3 yrs over his alloted lifespan :smile:
  • BuzzyLizzy77
    BuzzyLizzy77 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old labradoodle who is the same, has the be the leader! We bought a halti that goes around her muzzel and tightens when she pulls, she learned how to walk with it pretty quickly (1-2 walks), we have never looked back, its not cruel at all. I can now go running with her and take her when I go out on my bike.
    You can buy halti's at most pet shops or online.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I train and foster rescue dogs in my spare time, so I know a lot about this.

The first thing I recommend for any dog who likes to pull is to use a gentle leader. This is a type of head collar, that fits around the dogs snout and behind his ears. When he pulls, it pulls his snout down to his chest, much like a bridle does for a horse. Dogs hate this feeling, and will give up the idea of pulling rather quickly. I use a gentle leader whenever I run with any of my dogs.

Also, work on leash training, where he gets rewarded for walking nicely. Get a pouch of little treats, and when he walks nicely give him a treat ever 50 feet or so... when he starts to pull, turn around and change directions. They hate that.

Good luck! Feel free to message me if you have more questions.
  • rednavel
    rednavel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    lol...funny! I thought my lab/golden girl was the only crazy one who did this! I also have an Akita and she eggs him on and even tries to grab his leash to pull him to go faster. It's amusing and so fun after a long day at work! However, she does very well on the leash...these hilarious moments only come in spurts.
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I used to think that my dog could not run with me without stopping to smell stuff every other minute... then I saw this cute little dog in China. :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18218878
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    well my pit pulls the leash when we walk, but we are working on these skills with puppy obedience. You might wanna talk to a trainer to start.

But, after about 20 or so minutes hes too tired to pull so hard and gives up.

I have tried to have him run with me, but like I said he 1) gets tried quickly and ends up behind me or 2) thinks its a game and runs in circles around me. lol

Good luck!
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

The first thing I recommend for any dog who likes to pull is to use a gentle leader. This is a type of head collar, that fits around the dogs snout and behind his ears. When he pulls, it pulls his snout down to his chest, much like a bridle does for a horse. Dogs hate this feeling, and will give up the idea of pulling rather quickly. I use a gentle leader whenever I run with any of my dogs.

^^^ Yes I was going to recommend the Gentle Leader as well. My husky pup loves to pull on the leash so we got him one of those to practice walking on and it does help. When running I like to use a harness and choke collar though. I know some do not believe in using choke collars but he has responded well to it.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've had large breed dogs my whole life, and in my experience, most dogs can be 'broken' of this, but not all dogs....

I had one shepherd cross that WOULD NOT use any type of leash...he would pull like mad, then just roll over on his back and refuse to move.

If you are in total control of the dog, and in a good area for it, i'd recommend leash-free :)
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

^^^ Yes I was going to recommend the Gentle Leader as well. My husky pup loves to pull on the leash so we got him one of those to practice walking on and it does help. When running I like to use a harness and choke collar though. I know some do not believe in using choke collars but he has responded well to it.

I must admit I wouldnt recommend a choke collar for running, you could cause immense problems to his throat? Can you not use the gentle leader/halti instead? I have heard that the choke collars can make them go faster as they done associate going slower with reducing the pressure. My dogs both wear body harnesses which the leaders clip too, I've never had any problems they run up front but dont pull.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll be looking at gentile leaders and treats to put in my fuel belt. I'll try walking first too.
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I must admit I wouldnt recommend a choke collar for running, you could cause immense problems to his throat? Can you not use the gentle leader/halti instead? I have heard that the choke collars can make them go faster as they done associate going slower with reducing the pressure. My dogs both wear body harnesses which the leaders clip too, I've never had any problems they run up front but dont pull.

Thank you for your concern. To each is own. :flowerforyou:
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've had large breed dogs my whole life, and in my experience, most dogs can be 'broken' of this, but not all dogs....

I had one shepherd cross that WOULD NOT use any type of leash...he would pull like mad, then just roll over on his back and refuse to move.

If you are in total control of the dog, and in a good area for it, i'd recommend leash-free :)
    I always ran with my Dalmation leash free and never had any problems. He even understood the command "Car Coming " which meant get on the grass verge now. I have three large dogs and have always trained them to walk off lead right from Pups. Much easier than having three large dogs on leads.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8cPkTh7Y3k

This is basically what we've been doing with our Huskies. 3 of them now walk (about 90% of the time) with a loose lead and just an alaskan semi-slip collar. Our other 1 still has a way to go, she's young and very stubborn.

I, personally, wouldn't recommend a choke collar AT ALL - I just find them very mean and you're only masking the problem.

The halti type head collars are easier on the dog but, again, you're masking the problem - these are also NOT suitable if you're intending on running with the dog, they can cause a lot of damage and are designed for walking only.

Get your dog a good harness for running and attach the lead to a belt. A shoulder harness would be a lot better than an X-Back due to the attachment point and angle. If the angle is to too high and the lead too short with an X-Back you'll end up pulling his back legs up, which is no good!

For tips etc try an internet search for canicross.

Also, be careful about running your dog in hot weather, we don't run with ours if the temperature is above 12/14c - they'll just overheat. The temperature could probably vary with dog breed though :-))

You'll also find that after the initial burst of running that he'll probably slow down to a nice rhythm.

Good luck and enjoy running with your furry friend!!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I thing with choke collars (the ones with out the prongs) is that you need to make sure that they are put on correctly. If you have it on the right way, when you pull it and than loosen up, the collar will release. If you have it on the wrong way it will not release. I have a 110 lb cane corso, who is pure muscle, (he was relinquished to us by a client) who no matter what you have on him he would drag you. With a gentle leader he would pull and cut his nose. We started him with a trainer and his choke collar and he doesn't pull when I walk or run with him. As long as you are using the choke collar appropriately there is no problem with them. And anyone who says that what my husband and I are doing with the choke collar training is mean, I challenge you to walk my dog without his choke collar!
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would love to run with my dog but he broke his leg a couple of years ago and he has limped a bit since then. I hope you can find a way to go out with yours.

I do have a neghbour who runs with his spaniel. He has this big long rubber lead thing.

The dog is full of beans but he seems to understand he has to run in a particular way. Dogs are Smart!

Good luck!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I gave up running with my dog,1, she is 13 and can hardly run as it is and 2, she almost always tripped me up. We do use a gentle leader for her walks and have since she was 3. She is a pit/lab mix and very strong, with the gentle leader my children(when younger) were able to walk her with no pulling. I always recommend the gentle leader to friends and the ones that have swtiched also swear they won't go back.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    As long as you are using the choke collar appropriately there is no problem with them. And anyone who says that what my husband and I are doing with the choke collar training is mean, I challenge you to walk my dog without his choke collar!

I agree. Our dog went to training for five weeks when we were on vacation and not only do we have to use a choke collar but we also have to use a pinch collar. He was apparently left outside probably tied to a tree (we aren't his original owners. Some a**clown abandoned him at the end of our road) and the trainer said that he's very strong willed and he has a thick neck so he had to use both choke and pinch collar. For people who have never used either one on their animal and think it's cruel then go ahead and take my dog for a walk without it and see how much he'll listen to you.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    if i run fast my dog wont sniff and stop, he will listen to me when i say 'wait' thats the only reason mine will wait and not pull...i find he pulls like a bull on a harness but they are safe....good luck.