Any tips for working out in the warm weather?

Options
I don't know about you guys but anytime the thermostat climbs above 20*C (68*F), I lose any desire to do anything. It's just too warm.

Any tips or tricks for exercising in warm weather?

Replies

• Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    We will be at 95 degrees with a heat index of 104. Drink lots of water!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Lol, where do you live? In San Francisco?:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nrperry529
    nrperry529 Posts: 25
    Options
    It hits 100 by 11am here in NM. I just take my butt to the gym to workout! It's much cooler in there! Or go out before 7/8am or after 7/8m for a run.
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Nope if you are talking to me I live in North Dakota!! We have horrible humidity here!!
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If I am going to be working out at home, vs the gym, and know it's going to be hot I'll get my workout done as early as possible with the shades closed in my living room. If I wait until the afternoon my house is much too hot.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Early morning(like 6, 6:30 am) and lots of water.

I hit the gym today at 7:30... and have been out the door for my run by 6:30.

Illinois is awful right now.. and of course, any rain we do get does absolutely nothing!
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    drink water and remember why you started working out. for me one day off makes the next day super hard.
    108 degrees yesterday in atlanta i still did my 5 mile walk outside.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Above 68 is warm to you? Come to Houston! Stay hydrated throughout the day; not just when you're going to workout. If you're doing a long run/walk, take something to hydrate with you. If you can workout inside with A/C, do that. Sunglasses, hat, dry-fit clothes. There are also socks that help absorb sweat from your feet.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Humidex is a huge factor where I am as well. Today it is 25*C, but will feel like 31!
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Above 68 is warm to you? Come to Houston! Stay hydrated throughout the day; not just when you're going to workout. If you're doing a long run/walk, take something to hydrate with you. If you can workout inside with A/C, do that. Sunglasses, hat, dry-fit clothes. There are also socks that help absorb sweat from your feet.

Oh yes, it's super warm. There is also a lot of humidity which doesn't help matters.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    We wish in the UK LOL. We have had a cold wet summer :flowerforyou:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Temps have been around 100 degrees where I live for a week now. Two words: Climate Control! I'm a wuss...I pop in a DVD and work out in the central A/C lol
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    My solution - work out indoors. :laugh: I'm not much of a hot-weather person, probably because being heavy causes me to get really, REALLY hot when I do get going in the heat. Good luck OP :flowerforyou: find something that works for you, and just keep moving!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Nope if you are talking to me I live in North Dakota!! We have horrible humidity here!!

I'm from Minnesota and nobody down south believed we had weather like that either! lol It's been hot here in VA with this whole week in the high 90's and heat index over 100. yuck.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

Humidex is a huge factor where I am as well. Today it is 25*C, but will feel like 31!

lol! it's been 41 here before the heat index lately! it's funny to hear someone thinking that is hot :flowerforyou:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I love the heat! It has been in the 90s here in Michigan. I suggest working out before it gets to hot.

PS Sweating is GOOD!!!! :smile:

Dont use the heat as an excuse not to do something. 68 degrees is not that warm
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    PS DOnt sit in airconditioning all day. Get use to the weather by going outside
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    How about water sports?....
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I would kill for 68 degree weather right now. It's been mid to upper 90's with crazy humidity. I just do my run at 5am so it's done before the heat gets REALLY ugly.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Work out early if possible. I find I get more used to the heat and more tolerant of it as I'm out and active in it.