tell me some of your fav. inexpensive meals?

Options
I'm trying to bring in more healthier meals into my life and need some help, any one have any awesome but yet inexpensive meals to share?

Replies

• kristinamc03
    kristinamc03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well....this might be more of a snack. I cut up half a cucumber and half a tomato. I eat the veggies with a cup of cottage cheese. I can use all 3 items for 2 different meals. Each meal comes to about $1.50. Good luck!
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Baked Beans on toast.

OMG, so delicious, simple and cheap.
  • mybiketrip
    mybiketrip Posts: 239
    Options
    *Oatmeal with 5-7 morsels of chocolate chips and a tablespoon of peanut butter

*Tuna+Creamed corn with crackers
  • 88josephine88
    Options
    I take two raw eggs to work, crack them in a coffee mug, beat with some skim milk salt and pepper and microwave for scrambled eggs
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My tomato plants are now starting to put out a decent about of fruit so I've made soup pretty cheap.

6-8 tomatoes from garden - free
    1/2 head of garlic - $0.25
    1 ear of corn - $0.33 at farmers market
    1/4 to 1/3 of a small bag of baby carrots - $0.25 to $0.33
    Nonstick spray for baking pan - ??? maybe $0.05
    Black pepper to taste - ??? maybe $0.05

Set oven to 400.
    Spray pan.
    Toss in veggies.
    Add pepper to taste.
    Spray veggies.
    Bake or broil until soft. Getting some browning improves the taste.
    Remove from oven.
    Cut corn off cob (this can be done before cooking as well). Make sure to scrape con with back of knife to remove everything.
    Blend until smooth.
    Serve hot or cold.

I like to top this with a pinch of a hard white cheese like parm or Asiago and a slice of toast or some pretzel thins. I usually get two meals out of this amount. This soup also saves me from throwing out any veggies that are starting to be past their prime. The last time I made this I added in about 3 cups of baby spinach that was on the fridge that I wasn't planning to eat.
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I always have canned legumes on hand for emergencies or else cheaper to buy them dried and soak and boil yourself. Legumes are one of natures complete power food, packed with protein, fibre and carbohydrate. There are soooo many legume types from kidney beans, to canelli beans, to lentils to chick peas ...

For a quick fix I take a can of 5 bean mix, rinse the beans then add oregano and basil herbs, some greens - lettuce or spinach, a dash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, olive oil and diced fresh tomato. ABSOLUTELY too easy, delicious, filling and brimming with goodness...and very cheap!
  • smkcx
    smkcx Posts: 69
    Options
    Well....this might be more of a snack. I cut up half a cucumber and half a tomato. I eat the veggies with a cup of cottage cheese. I can use all 3 items for 2 different meals. Each meal comes to about $1.50. Good luck!

I haven't tried cottage cheese in YEARS and back then I hated it. (I was little though) I almost bought some the other day but I was afraid it'd go to waste.

I will definitely have to look into that.
  • smkcx
    smkcx Posts: 69
    Options
    My tomato plants are now starting to put out a decent about of fruit so I've made soup pretty cheap.

6-8 tomatoes from garden - free
    1/2 head of garlic - $0.25
    1 ear of corn - $0.33 at farmers market
    1/4 to 1/3 of a small bag of baby carrots - $0.25 to $0.33
    Nonstick spray for baking pan - ??? maybe $0.05
    Black pepper to taste - ??? maybe $0.05

Set oven to 400.
    Spray pan.
    Toss in veggies.
    Add pepper to taste.
    Spray veggies.
    Bake or broil until soft. Getting some browning improves the taste.
    Remove from oven.
    Cut corn off cob (this can be done before cooking as well). Make sure to scrape con with back of knife to remove everything.
    Blend until smooth.
    Serve hot or cold.

I like to top this with a pinch of a hard white cheese like parm or Asiago and a slice of toast or some pretzel thins. I usually get two meals out of this amount. This soup also saves me from throwing out any veggies that are starting to be past their prime. The last time I made this I added in about 3 cups of baby spinach that was on the fridge that I wasn't planning to eat.

that sounds so DELICIOUS.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Mushroom omelettes - made with three entire eggs (no just whites for me) with salad.
    Tuna and salad
    (both of the above are super filling).

Chick pea curry
    Spaghetti bolognese
    Sunday roast (made with jacket potato rather than roasties...though sometimes will bother to make Fry-Light roasties).
    Beans and cheese on toast
    Soup and bread
    Sandwiches....

xx