Any tips for working out in the warm weather?

Options

Replies

• iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Lol, where do you live? In San Francisco?:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

We're so spoiled in the bay. :happy:

But in case it does get super hot I either work out at 4/5am or then in the evening. Drink lots of water, take it easy, listen to your body.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    68 is warm?!?!?! I'm kind of speechless, not sure why I'm even responding?! Wait....68 is warm!??!?!?!

Plus aren't your gyms air conditioned?

Yesterday was 95....still walked 3 miles on the trail
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    They do not call in HOTlanta for nothing! It has been over 100 degrees for a week! :smokin:

I agree with the other comments about working out early in the morning (even though here, it is 80 degrees at 7am!!) & drink a lot of water!!! Also try eating something light, like a banana 20 min before you workout. If you eat something heavier, wait at least an hour.

You could also try water aerobics/swimming.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I love the 100+ weather but you have to make sure you keep up on your fluids! And slow down a little bit. You will not be able to run/bike/etc at your normal pace. Your body will be using some extra energy trying to cool down.

You never get used to the heat if you never get out in it!
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm from Illinios too.....this heat is never going to end
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Nope if you are talking to me I live in North Dakota!! We have horrible humidity here!!

I'm in MN - I completely HEAR YOU! You can cut through the air outside right now.. YUCK!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    in our area its very popular to go to air conditioned mall to do brisk walking
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

We're so spoiled in the bay. :happy:

But in case it does get super hot I either work out at 4/5am or then in the evening. Drink lots of water, take it easy, listen to your body.
    I always laugh when relatives or friends come to the Bay Area in the summer with the expectation that it's gonna be in the 80's. Always tell them to bring a coat and they all say the same thing "nah, we'll be alright since we're used to cold weather". Then watch them shiver at Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf while we walk around.:laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    68 is warm?!?!?! I'm kind of speechless, not sure why I'm even responding?! Wait....68 is warm!??!?!?!

Plus aren't your gyms air conditioned?

Yesterday was 95....still walked 3 miles on the trail

It's super warm for me. I live on the East Coast of Canada. I do not do well with the heat.
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    My husband and I are both on MFP and we decided to go for our bike ride in the evening. It was slightly cooler but we got bit by mosquitoes!!
    I also went out in the early morning and weeded my garden--I have to do that in the early morning hours or late in the evening because the sun and I don't get along real well.
    I also put on music and exercise with my weighted hoola hoop in an air conditioned house. That works!! My treadmill is down in the basement where it is cooler. I still work up a real sweat doing it!
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's been super hot here in Chicago (ok, it's been super hot in most of the US for the past 7-10 days) and I've still been walking outside. I think the key is to stay hydrated (like everyone has said) and allow yourself to go slower or not as far as usual. You may find that doesn't stop you. I've been regularly walking 40-60 minutes in the heat... I try to do it after 6:30 but walked right at noon both days this weekend. I think it is really a mental thing... As long as you take care of yourself and don't overdo it, the heat is good for you!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    WATER!!LOTS OF IT
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys but anytime the thermostat climbs above 20*C (68*F), I lose any desire to do anything. It's just too warm.

Any tips or tricks for exercising in warm weather?

68??? Really???

You would die here.

I don't really have any advice because 68 isn't even that warm, but I try to keep hydrated or exercise inside in the AC.
  • NYBikeRacer
    Options
    I take a cool shower before I go out . Helps decrease my core body temp. I then pat dry off and leave my hair wet.
  • Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You have to get in the mindset to do at least a little bit. A little is better than nothing at all. I have to agree with the masses, stay properly hydrated; and do not over exert yourself. Listen to your body. :) Enjoy your day!
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Get out doors early. Morning is best. There is more humidity in the afternoon here, Mississippi! I watered my daughter's garden this morning and it was not bad.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is some funny *kitten*. Saying 68 is warm is like saying ice cream is hot. Ridiculous. So, so ridiculous. Has to be a troll. Just has to. There's no way in hell this is real. Sorry, but it's just stupid.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    68, lol.

Get up earlier and exercise then.
  • Dropitlikeitshotchic
    Options
    I live in NC where the humidity is awful! I get up at 4:30am and run. Come home shower and then rest about 30 mins before getting ready for work. It is still hot and humid but you are done and the rest of the day is yours.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    find a swimming pool and exercise in that. My mom has one, and I walk laps in it, or when friends are in it also we get a game of volleyball/dodgeball going in the pool. No net, 5 balls of differing sizes all in play at the same time. Total chaos and weight burn like you would not believe, I have lost over 1lb this weekend alone doing this.

Yesterday morning at 7am it was 73 degrees outside which should be pleasant, but the humidity was at 86% it was so gross. I took the old dog for a walk around the block and the young dog to the dog park, and then picked raspberries, thought I was swimming in my clothes they were so drenched. This is MN honey, where you feel like you are breathing water in the summer.