Insomnia accompanying calorie deficit???

Options
Hello, friends.

I have been struggling to get enough sleep since I started working out and eating at a net calorie deficit almost a month ago. The insomnia has been somewhat manageable, though, until the past few days during which I have been feeling increasingly restless. Last night I didn't sleep a wink.

I'm beginning to suspect that this has something to do with a more drastic recent reduction in my net calories. I have been doing some really vigorous physical work out of doors (job related) and simply can't eat enough to replace even a fraction of what I'm likely burning off...leaving me with much larger net calorie deficits than I ever intended. It's also leaving me perpetually hungry (feel like I'm always eating now), but it's still not enough. :(

Has anyone else ever experienced insomnia from something like this? If so, does it eventually go away? Also, what can I do to help fill in any significant nutritional/caloric voids so that I don't lose weight too fast? (I prefer to lose weight in a more gradual manner so that my body has time to adjust properly.) I have been craving and eating tons of protein-filled food items, btw, often exceeding my daily recommended intake...just so no one thinks this is a protein deficiency.

Thank you all, in advance, for any insights that you might have.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What time do you workout and have you changed your evening activities recently?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yes, being hungry can make you sleepless as can working out close to bedtime. Try adding more calorie-dense foods like peanut butter or avocado, and make sure you're getting enough protein. If you physically can't eat any more, the runner's favourite energy replacement is chocolate milk. Full fat and sugar of course!

Make sure your MFP activity level reflects your new physical workload and try front-loading your calories by having a big breakfast, snacks and lunch so you're not playing catch-up later in the day.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well, I do the gardening stuff usually every day from 1-4 or 5 pm. (This week has been tough, because I didn't get my weekend off like I normally do.) I also tend to go for a walk or a bike ride most evenings between 7-8 pm.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well, I do the gardening stuff usually every day from 1-4 or 5 pm. (This week has been tough, because I didn't get my weekend off like I normally do.) I also tend to go for a walk or a bike ride most evenings between 7-8 pm.

If you're burning a lot of calories from yard work or whatever and are having a difficult time meeting your calorie goal, it's best to hold off on other exercise like bike riding until you are able to eat more.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    Options
    Ahh, front-loading is a really good idea. It usually takes my being awake and moving about for a few hours to develop an appetite. By then, I'm usually rushing out the door with my coffee travel mug and a banana in tow...regretting my sad little breakfast about 15 minutes into my work, wishing it had been something more substantial.

To NoAdditives: I know...I really shouldn't. I just enjoy it and find it relaxing...usually clears my head. There are a lot of really pleasant nature trails to ride and walk on near my place. Maybe I will give it up for the time being...sigh.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Funny you wrote this .....

Last night around 2 I woke up hungry ..... had a few club crackers, 2 with PB, 2 with SF orange marm ...... then went back to bed & slept like a log ..... sometimes you've just gotta eat :drinker:

I agree about eating a good breakfast ..... if you can't eat it right away, bring something with you to the job ...... even a cheesestick and/or almonds are better than nothing ......

Best of luck !
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    I hear slice turkey meat will help reduce cravings and encourage sleep.
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not a teaspoon or two of honey should help you sleep through the night.

Honey, Sleep, and the HYMN Cycle

http://www.greenchicafe.com/honey-for-great-sleep
    Scottish pharmacist, researcher, and author Mike McInnes believes that honey improves, facilitates, and lengthens restorative sleep by at least three mechanisms. When taken before bedtime, he teaches that honey:
    * Ensures adequate liver-glycogen stores for eight hours of sleep. this prevens or limits the early-morning release of two stress hormones, cortisol and adrenaline.
    * Stabilizes blood-sugar levels.
    * Contributes to the release of melatonin, the hormone required for both the recoery and rebuilding of body tissues during rest.

Google "honey for sleep".

I've done myself many times before and it works.

Good luck to you. I know how miserable it is to not be able to sleep. I've had insomnia since I was a baby.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough food can definitely keep you awake. Sounds like you need to A-eat more, B-burn less, or C-dont work out too close to bedtime. Maybe all three.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    Options

Last night around 2 I woke up hungry ..... had a few club crackers, 2 with PB, 2 with SF orange marm ...... then went back to bed & slept like a log ..... sometimes you've just gotta eat :drinker:

I agree about eating a good breakfast ..... if you can't eat it right away, bring something with you to the job ...... even a cheesestick and/or almonds are better than nothing ......

Best of luck !

"sometimes you've just gotta eat" <
    So true!
  • smithhaller
    smithhaller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Use the mifflin-St. Jeor formula to estimate your BMR/RMR. Then use the activity multiplier to figure out your TDEE. Eat a conservative (%15) daily deficit from your TDEE. Eat most of your calories at night. Eat an extra large dinner and then a snack before bed.
  • islandgirl1962
    islandgirl1962 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    verptwerp wrote: »

Best of luck !

When you can't sleep and you are hungry carbs is the way to go. Carbs induces sleep and protein revs you up. I have a cup of cheerios and 1/2 cup of whole milk. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has trouble sleeping due to dieting.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    I found that supplementing Magnesium helped with my insomnia which also got worse whilst in a calorie deficit. I take electrolyte (Combi of potassium, magnesium and sodium) tablets before bed now and sleep like a baby except during shark week.
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me, and what worked was eating light during the day, and having the bulk of my calories at dinner time.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I've been waking up after 5-6 hours since starting my calorie deficit diet a month ago, enough sleep to not be able to easily go back to sleep, but too little sleep to get through the day. Been wondering about the diet - insomnia connection a lot.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Eat more and eat carbs before bed. The rest can stay the same.

You may want to work out your TDEE from an online calculator and eat that instead of the MFP eat back your calories thing. It will give you more calories to eat than MFP.

I also second the magnesium supplement before bed.