Eat real food ( not shakes and pizza )
    Lean meats , fish, poultry.
    Vegetables, fruit. whole grains .
    Good luck.

this
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Make sure your portions are correct. Many times we think 9 oz is 6 oz... If you are not using food scales and such, those things can be difficult to assess. Best wishes on your journey.

This is true, I said the same thing at first, I started in April and was very serious about getting the weight off. After I started measuring everything, working out daily and making smarter food choices, within the first two weeks the weight started coming off at about 1.5 lbs a week some weeks 2 lbs. But that is a strict diet, and burning at least 500 per day. Without the extra burn, about 1 lb per week always. I keep my diary open for every one to see, I try not to cheat because I know my old habbits and want to give myself a fair chance this time around. I refuse to weigh in until June 17, 2012 because that is my first goal date of 20 lbs loss. I am sure I will meet the goal+a pound or 2 more. I could not do this if I wasn't consistant with all of it, you can too.
    Keep up the good work and add me as a friend if you need more support. My final goal is to reach 80 total by Oct. 21, 2012 It's all about the numbers for me and motivation.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, weight loss isn't always simple math. There are SO many factors such as hormones, water weight, etc. that can contribute to weight loss week by week. The important thing is that you DID lose weight - that means you're on the right track! One week is not nearly enough time to determine success. Some weeks I don't lose as much as I should based on the math, and some weeks I lose more than I should! This is a lifestyle change. Stick with it and you will see the results. You just gotta give it time! Now if in a few weeks you are still finding that you don't lose much, it may be time to examine your eating and exercise habits, etc. For now it's really just too early to tell.

this also
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not trusting MFP to give you proper numbers. The calories they offer are too low, and the exercise calories are calculated too high.
    I highly recommend doing some research into BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). You will not find success or lasting results if you aren't giving your body the fuel it needs to function on a basic level.
    BMR Calculator: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html
    TDEE Calculator: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

This gives you the MINIMUM caloric intake (BMR), and MAXIMUM caloric intake (TDEE) for your body to function and still lose weight. of course these are estimates, so you can tweak them to get the best results for you.

You also should find a "style" of eating that suits your needs. I do low carb/pescetarian. After years of being a carbaholic the freedom from food I feel is a revelation. Clean eating is the bare minimum to a healthier lifestyle. Find food products that have as close to one ingredient as possible (broccoli! Chicken!! Cream & bacterial cultures (i.e. yogurt!) etc!)

And allow yourself the odd treat. Depriving yourself will just ensure that when you binge, you binge hard.

Also, go easy on yourself!!! Figuring out all this stuff is HARD. There's a huge learning curve if you want to do it properly. I lost 30 lbs doing weight watchers 6 years ago, but I didn't learn HOW to eat properly, so I gained it back when I stopped counting. This time around with the help of these forums, some REALLY knowledgeable people on here, and sheer determination, I'm learning how to fuel my body, not just shed pounds.

Just for your info, so you know I'm not talking out of my *kitten*, I'm 5'4", SW (January 2012) was 234.5, CW is 193.5.

Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend if you like :)
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    There was only one day I really noticed you had fruits and veggies a few times in a day. Your portions were low but if you slowly increase them over time, you'll notice more weight loss. Your body will thank you for the nutrients you'll get from fresh unprocessed foods by allowing you to lose weight easier. Include more fruits and veggies in your diet every day, not just on occasion. Make them a daily routine. Also, I noticed that your protein is always pretty low. Try nuts, beans, and meats. And don't be afraid of all fats. The fats in nuts, for instance, will also help your body - just remember, when it comes to fats, moderation is key! Whole grains (oats, wheat, rye, bran, etc.) will also help with weight loss. And drink lots of water!
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    you are doing great. i didnt see any loss my first 2 weeks, then week 3 my body played catch up. weight loss is not the same week in and week out. i will go a week or two with no loss, and then the following week my body will lose like crazy. just keep on keeping on.

also take measurements and take photos to track your progress.

if you are exercising keep a log of your endurance and increased strength.

this needs to be about getting healthy and strong not just skinny
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    .5 lbs is the perfect amount to lose in a week. You probably have to up your cals a bit if you plan on doing this permanently. More than 1lb a week is too much, especially if you don't have a ton to lose. I started with 1200 cals and I have upped it to 1900. I am losing weight consistently and I eat well.

These two articles specifically explain how to get a healthy calorie goal that will give you a slight deficit to lose weight:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience
  • Jcmd83
    Jcmd83 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice and words of encouragement. I have a lot to learn, but I'm excited. Thanks again!
  • BOO2819
    BOO2819 Posts: 6
    Options
    I really needed to read this! Thanks! :wink:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Don't take the numbers so literally. They're just averages. If you average X deficit a day you'll average Y weight loss, but that's over the long term, like months, not one week.

So keep at it and don't consider the scale your report card. Consider your inputs (your daily calorie intake/output goals) to be the score card. Did you do what you set out to all week? If yes, then YOU WIN! The scale will follow eventually. It takes time.

^^ This, very well said!!

Patience!!!!!!! You can not gauge your progress on one weeks worth of work!!!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Give yourself a bit of time!you have to remember this advice is an average and not a certainty,you will begin to loose weight but it will take time you could loose a pound one week nothing for 2 weeks 5 lbs the week after its not certain,stick with it at the end of the day if you take in less calories than you burn you will loose weight just dont get too stuck on what should be happening at a given time!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has been said, but also want to add that if you only have 30 or so pounds to lose (based on your ticker), you may have unrealistic expectations of losing 1-2 lbs per week. Unrealistic expectations will lead to frustration, failure and ending up back where you started.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've had a quick look through your food diary and most of the time you've gone way over your calorie goal for that day. I also see you've been having Subways and Mcdonalds for breakfast a few times.

I imagine this is why you're not seeing the desired results.
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I did look at your diary. Many days you are not eating breakfast. It is so important to have breakfast as this helps start your metabolism. I have only been here for a short time but have lost 30 pounds this year so far. It is slow but it is not a race and it is my lifestyle. I plan to keep it off and lose many more pounds slow and steady.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Stomach content, bowel content, hydration, metabolic rate, and monthly bloating can all affect the number you see on the scale -- as can the accuracy of the scale you happen to own. My suggestion: focus on doing the right things, don't beat up on yourself, and put your scale away for a month rather than weighing yourself every week if you're finding it discouraging. As others have said, think of it as a new way of living you're committing yourself to, rather than as a diet that you'll do and then be done with.
  • jkm1783
    jkm1783 Posts: 21
    Options
    If your calorie intake is less then 1200 for the day your body thinks it is starving and holds on to what you have. It is a balancing act but once you get the hang of it its life.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to lose weight until I stopped eating processed foods. Maybe if you cut down on the processed foods, you might see better results? Good luck.