Calories burned from Insanity...Over Estimating

Options
I've been doing the Insanity workouts and am on my second month. Today I did "Max Cardio Conditioning". My heart rate monitor said:

Duration: 48 minutes
Average HR: 160
Max HR: 189

Weight: 152

I use an online calculator of which I put my age, weight, duration and average HR. It gave me 745 calories burned.

Anyone know if that's correct? Seems really high.

What is everyone else's average heart rate when they do the insanity workouts?

Replies

• mardris
    mardris Posts: 5
    Options
    I am currently in month 2 of Insanity as well. I unfortunatly do not have a hrm so I am in search of similar workout calories burned. I know I kick my own butt during these workouts time to invest in a hrm.
  • tennillewade
    tennillewade Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Insanity workouts and am on my second month. Today I did "Max Cardio Conditioning". My heart rate monitor said:

I use an online calculator of which I put my age, weight, duration and average HR. It gave me 745 calories burned.

that could definitely be correct.. You do burn alot of calories with the insanity workouts
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I just completed the Fit test today and my HRM told me 170 calories for 20 mins..i am 32, for your age and duration, I believe this is correct
  • stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That seems like too much. I know I am a female, but I did that work-out this morning and according to my HRM I burned 493 calories. I am 29, 5'6", and 150 lbs. I would say maybe at the most 600?
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options

It does seem a little high; however, only you know how hard you were working. I just finished my first round of Insanity and I understand how challenging it can be -- but I also understand that it's completely up to you and the effort you put in it. So, realistically, on a scale of 1 - 10, where would you put yourself in terms of effort?
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    it seems pretty close to correct. I do crossfit and my roommate does too and he is a guy and he burns a significant amount higher of calories then I do - close to almost 500 more.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I burned 432 the other day and I am 5' and 100 pounds.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    insanity and p90x both woop as where it comes to cal burning so whats wrong with your hrm? if you have all the readings?:huh:

and you age and weight your heart rate REALLY got that high...??? sounds a bit high!! :ohwell:
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right to me. Hubby can burn close to 1000 doing an Insanity workout.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm <<< I used this before I got my HRM, and it is fairly accurate (I just input my info from today's run, and it was over by 17 calories for 29 minutes, so pretty accurate).

Maybe skim 100 calories off of the # and go with that?
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    insanity and p90x both woop as where it comes to cal burning so whats wrong with your hrm? if you have all the readings?:huh:

and you age and weight your heart rate REALLY got that high...??? sounds a bit high!! :ohwell:

Many of my workouts are an average HR of 160 (or higher) and I'm a 36 YO female... I think that HR is probably quite right.
  • natemp21
    natemp21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I push pretty hard. I'd say at least this morning I was an 8 on a scale of 1-10. I only rest occasionally for about 5-10 seconds. When I do the workouts my average heart rate stays in the range of 140-160.
  • AprilBurns86
    Options
    I think it's right. I usually burn 800-900, but it's been as high as 1000 and as low as 550 depending on the routine and my exertion level. I'd just go with it.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm 161 lb, 27 years old.

Here are some stats of a similar workout to Insanity for me:
    Average HR: 154
    Maximum HR: 175
    Length: 59 min
    Length in Zone: 38 min
    Calories burned 592

Insanity Pure Cardio:
    Average HR: 144
    Maximum HR: 165
    Length: 38 min
    Length in Zone : 28 min
    Calories 344

Your numbers sound about right maybe a tad high, but I'm wondering doesn't your HRM give you calories burned?
  • natemp21
    natemp21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 161 lb, 27 years old.

Here are some stats of a similar workout to Insanity for me:
    Average HR: 154
    Maximum HR: 175
    Length: 59 min
    Length in Zone: 38 min
    Calories burned 592

Insanity Pure Cardio:
    Average HR: 144
    Maximum HR: 165
    Length: 38 min
    Length in Zone : 28 min
    Calories 344

Your numbers sound about right maybe a tad high, but I'm wondering doesn't your HRM give you calories burned?

My heart rate monitor gives me calories burned but it's about 60-80 calories higher what the online calculators tell me. Also I am using the Timex T5G971 HRM.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor gives me calories burned but it's about 60-80 calories higher what the online calculators tell me. Also I am using the Timex T5G971 HRM.

I would go with your HRM since it seems reasonable. Wash the strap frequently to ensure accurate reading.
  • JordyGetz
    JordyGetz Posts: 1
    Options
    I am on day 50 of Insanity, my Polar HRM says that i burn between 850-950 calories when i do Max Cardio Conditioning.

From what i have read about any HRM it is never going to be 100% accurate when it calculates calories burned, it is supposed to be used as something to keep track of.

Accurate or not, I dont think I would want to do any workout without my HRM. I love that thing. Tracking something is better than nothing.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me.
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    it seems normal if you put in the intensity. I have had low numbers and high numbers. If your working hard then it seems normal. I figured when I do insanity, i burn 600-900 per video. I'm 5-9 199lbs. My highest heart rate is 185, then i slow down. I attempt to keep my heart rate in the 160-170 for the burn except for warm up and cool down.

Nothing is 100% accurate. It is based on a scientific/ mathimatical equations. The online calculators can't track how hard you work of the conditions you worked out in. the HRM, can only tell what it is programmed to do. It takes your heard rate.
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    All that jumping and high intensity that should be correct